Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDITED 1/7/11

I pulled the trigger on the Petty's Garage loop from Arrington shown below.

I did a search and didn't find a whole lot of discussion on drive shaft loops. I found lots of info recommending them, but not a lot suggesting which ones are good or not so good.

I know Sam went with a Metco and it looks like a nice unit.

I've been eyeballing this one from Petty's Garage for my 6 speed. It replaces the entire transmission cross member and is only 2lbs heavier in total:

I do wanna see if they can make mine Hemi Orange just because.

Any other suggestions out there? I figure I might as well install this at the same time I do the 1400HP axles.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
That one looks better built than the one I was looking at last week. But wish it could be a little lighter..

·
Registered
304 Posts
speedy, I think it is only 2 pounds heavier

At 8 lbs, the crossmember and safety loop are only 2 lbs heavier than the OE transmission crossmember

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That one looks better built than the one I was looking at last week. But wish it could be a little lighter..
Well, remember this one replaces the transmission cross member. So you save that weight making this one only a +2 lbs gain over stock.

I'm not sure how much other ones weight either to compare, but Sam said his was pretty heavy and it attached to the stock cross member.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speedy, I think it is only 2 pounds heavier

At 8 lbs, the crossmember and safety loop are only 2 lbs heavier than the OE transmission crossmember
Yep, you're right. That's even better! I corrected my original post.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Speedy....talk to your boys at Arrington. They will be installing one one my car as part of the upcoming build.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speedy....talk to your boys at Arrington. They will be installing one one my car as part of the upcoming build.
Then it's probably the one I posted above as I got that image from their website.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Two pounds is much better...

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Speedy, I have been considering that same drive shaft loop for my Challenger.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
One area you don't want to skip/skimp on, better safe than sorry.
Tout

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe if several folks are interested we could get a group buy going?

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Speedy,

I have one of the first Metco units. After a year, I noticed it was rubbing the transmission tunnel and tearing the sound deadening material. I tried to contact the folks at Metco to show them how they could address this, but they never replied to my e-mails, neither did the vendor here that sold it to me. I ended up cutting it apart and modifying it to provide more clearance.

Go with the other unit...

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
We carry and use the metco and Moroso units, two different designs but both great products. The first handful of Metco units made over 2 years ago required a slight adjustment to be made to prevent a rubbing issue, which was done free of charge for anyone who purchased that batch. Any and all of the metco loops made after that time have or noise rubbing issue at all, I have one on my daily driven srt and have never heard a peep, not have the hundreds of other units out there. The petty unit seems nice but we don't have any experience with that one.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I liked the design of the Petty's Garage piece, and the fact that it only added 2 pounds to the car, and the fact that it replaces the tranny cross member as part of the setup. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one from Arrington today.

I started to get it powder coated Hemi Orange to match the car, but the guys at Arrington made a good point.....as long as the car's on the wheels just get black, if you plan to be on the roof then get a pretty color LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
The loop pictured in Yellow and Red are from CAM and are great units, but they only work on the Automatics. The tailshaft on the 6-speed is different and requires a completely different solution.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Well, I liked the design of the Petty's Garage piece, and the fact that it only added 2 pounds to the car, and the fact that it replaces the tranny cross member as part of the setup. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one from Arrington today.

I started to get it powder coated Hemi Orange to match the car, but the guys at Arrington made a good point.....as long as the car's on the wheels just get black, if you plan to be on the roof then get a pretty color LOL.
1. Does this fit both autos AND 6-speeds?
2. Can you please post photos with it on, and let us know the fitment and finish of what you receive?

Appreciate it, I'll need a loop installed before May when I hit the 1/8th mile.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1. Does this fit both autos AND 6-speeds?
2. Can you please post photos with it on, and let us know the fitment and finish of what you receive?

Appreciate it, I'll need a loop installed before May when I hit the 1/8th mile.
This one is for the 6 speed. I'm not sure if they have one for the auto or not.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts