Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quick take on the group components:

Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection - I hate the ugly sensors on the rear bumper. Don't want it, don't need it

ParkSense Rear Park Assist System - people, it's not that hard to back into a parking spot without computer assistance. Just look and listen. Don't want it, don't need it

Power Multi-Function Foldaway Mirrors - the once or twice a uear i want to fold my mirrors I can use my hands. Don't want it, don't need it

Universal Garage Door Opener - handy, but I can keep a remote in my console. Nice to have at best

High Intensity Discharge Headlamps - absolute must have. There is no going back to halogens once you've had HIDs

So out of the whole package the HIDs are the only piece I want and the garage door opener is take it or leave it. I can suck it up and live with overpaying for a bunch of idiot-proofing gadgets to get the lights, but I really hate those butt ugly sensors. They look only slightly better than the plastic push pins that hold plastic panels in place.

Why can't we have HIDs as an ala carte item?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My quick take on the group components:

Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection - I hate the ugly sensors on the rear bumper. Don't want it, don't need it

ParkSense Rear Park Assist System - people, it's not that hard to back into a parking spot without computer assistance. Just look and listen. Don't want it, don't need it

Power Multi-Function Foldaway Mirrors - the once or twice a uear i want to fold my mirrors I can use my hands. Don't want it, don't need it

Universal Garage Door Opener - handy, but I can keep a remote in my console. Nice to have at best

High Intensity Discharge Headlamps - absolute must have. There is no going back to halogens once you've had HIDs

So out of the whole package the HIDs are the only piece I want and the garage door opener is take it or leave it. I can suck it up and live with overpaying for a bunch of idiot-proofing gadgets to get the lights, but I really hate those butt ugly sensors. They look only slightly better than the plastic push pins that hold plastic panels in place.

Why can't we have HIDs as an ala carte item?

Because profit margins. Always. I agree with you whole-heartedly regarding the importance of HIDs. Certainly more important for safety than the federally-mandated backup camera. Only a moron knows not what is aft of his car, but having the absolute highest quality and luminosity fore of a moving vehicle in the dark seems like common sense.

I'm wondering if the mirror upgrade is one that folds automatically when the car is locked, as with my wife's Q5. That would be ideal, and it really is functional for anybody who parks their car anywhere outside of their own garage.

Universal opener is nice, solely because I like everything that can be integrated to be integrated. That creates a classier, more expensive feel when I'm in the car.

Blind spot detection and park assist aids are for people who shouldn't be driving to begin with. Rear cross-traffic could be useful in certain scenarios, but not for all.

Question: Have you any photos of a '15 Challenger with the rear bumper sensors? I just ran through my folder of collected images and could not find one.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
question: Have you any photos of a '15 challenger with the rear bumper sensors? I just ran through my folder of collected images and could not find one.
Look way better here than 2014.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got the Power Multi-Function Foldaway Mirrors..
Its power mirrors and foldaway part is just good old fashioned manual rotation.

Sent using paper airplanes

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
My 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT had the SafetyTec Package. It included adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, traffic ahead detection, blind spot monitoring, front and rear path detection sensors and backup camera.

The whole thing added $2,500 to the price of the vehicle. Of all of these, the blind spot monitor and backup camera were truly useful. The adaptive cruise control left so much distance behind the car in front, that it was an invitation for others to constant squeeze in front; the forward collision warning would freak out whenever I drove the car a bit spirited on a curvy road; the front and rear path sensors, and traffic ahead detection were redundant to a good pair of eyes.

These probably make more sense in a minivan or three row SUV, which is not intended to be driven hard, and has endless sources of distraction coming from inside the vehicle. But they were mostly an irritation in a performance car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts