Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 2016 RT, I stopped by the dealer body shop this week to get their opinion on what looked like clearcoat overspray on the mirror. The supervisor of the shop used a new razor blade to remove the material on the mirror, but driving home, I could tell that he scratched the mirror with the blade. Seems like that would not have happened with a glass mirror, but just wanted to find out what others know about this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
It's a very soft glass and a competent body shop should have known better than using a razor blade on a mirror!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then are you surprised about the razor scratching them? I would have expected glass to be a little more resilient. Any recommendations on buffing out the scratches, maybe with some polishing compound and a microfiber?

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
You don't use razor blades on mirrors sir. I had someone do that to me and the only way to fix it was to replace the glass, it's tricky getting the old one off but the reinstall was simple.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why did you go to the dealer? See, this is what I'm talking about (in other posts). Only bad things happen when you bring your car back to the dealer. I would have tried a glass polish first (Groit's makes a nice one). If that didn't work I'd go to a reputable body shop where they know how to deal with paint (overspray). Dodge makes great cars but dealers only know how to sell them..... Service and repairs are not in their wheel house. Other than a major drivetrain or computer type failure which would be under warranty, stay out of the dealerships. I can't stress this enough. Rant over, thanks for listening. :|

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did you go to the dealer? See, this is what I'm talking about (in other posts). Only bad things happen when you bring your car back to the dealer. I would have tried a glass polish first (Groit's makes a nice one). If that didn't work I'd go to a reputable body shop where they know how to deal with paint (overspray). Dodge makes great cars but dealers only know how to sell them..... Service and repairs are not in their wheel house. Other than a major drivetrain or computer type failure which would be under warranty, stay out of the dealerships. I can't stress this enough. Rant over, thanks for listening. :|
Actually, I've had very good results with this dealer body shop. I know the guy was just trying to help, but ultimately screwed up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel bad for you...., but at least it's an easy fix (new mirror). Good Luck and hope it works out in your favor.
I just spoke with the manager and he said that they will try polishing it out and if it doesn't work, they'll replace the mirror. He was very apologetic and thanked me for calling him. He said they commonly use razor blades for the window glass, but that his guy should have known not to try that with the mirror.

Thanks for all the info on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts