Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 2012 srt8 392 challenger. im new to the building up your car area i know my way around a car and how to fix things but i have no idea what performance parts are good or not. I've been told by friends that the first thing i should do is upgrade my driveshaft then do forged internals. i would like to know what kind of driveshaft is already on my car and what internals are already in it, ive been researching for answers but couldnt find any solid answers. plz help.

·
Registered
474 Posts
yeah, I like this topic. I'd like a new 'one-piece' aluminium driveshaft, and a carbon fiber hood . (y)
subscribing to see what the experts recommend.
Have a good one !

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Lance ;)

Just generally until the modders come along :) Your driveshaft is a two piece steel shaft, stock...OEM

Your engine has cast pistons. Forged internals will withstand more power and forced induction

I will say that driveshaft is certainly not usually the first upgrade. What is it you'd like to achieve? Do you drag race? Road race? Just want more power? Loping muscle car exhaust sound?

A Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to Challengertalk Lance ;)

Just generally until the modders come along :) Your driveshaft is a two piece steel shaft, stock...OEM

Your engine has cast pistons. Forged internals will withstand more power and forced induction

I will say that driveshaft is certainly not usually the first upgrade. What is it you'd like to achieve? Do you drag race? Road race? Just want more power? Loping muscle car exhaust sound?

A Guy
im just trying to drag race and im new to it i just want to make sure that nothing breaks

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
If the car is a manual get rid of the rubber cradle bushings and put in polys before you do anything else. Wheel hop is death to drivelines

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a lot to unpack here. So many places you could start. I have a 2013 SRT for refrence. Our drive shafts are good till 700HPish. Forged internals arent needed until 6lbs of boost or more from some kind of forced induction. If your trying to drag race or just get a little more more you can always upgrade your suspension components and get a tuner HP/Diablo to boost some response. Internals and drive shaft are way down the list.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,649 Posts
im just trying to drag race and im new to it i just want to make sure that nothing breaks
Sorry, "just trying to drag race" and "I just want to make sure that nothing breaks" do not belong in the same sentence.

You can drag race to be sure but something will break. Eventually. And probably sooner rather than later.

You can replace the drive shaft which for a stock car might be the weakest link in the drive train but that doesn't mean the replacement shaft or its bearings won't fail at some point. One hopes this a long time off but you never know...

And even if they do not fail this just gives the next weakest link in the drive train or the engine its chance to ruin your day.

IOWs, if you wanna play you have to pay...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts