Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all.
Im trying to swap my v6, 15's diferential with a 3.90 LSD. I have the axles and everything ready to go.
I actually attempted the swap last weekend, but. . . I couldn't get the driveshaft to come out of the differential.
I tried taking off the 8 bolts that mount the driveshaft to the diff; I unbolted the safety loop to see if it had more play; I even took off the bolts that mount the shaft to the differential, but I couldn't get it to come off.
I even loosened the differential bolts to back up the diff a bit, but I couldn't make it happen.
What am I missing? Does anyone have any advice?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
I know the 2015+ cars have a ZF built rear-end, and thus it's not the same as the 2014 and below rear-ends, but I would think their drive-line connection is similar between the diffs. If they are, the drive-line coupler should unbolt from the rear-end flange, not pull out of it. Here's a pic from the service manual for the older LX rear-ends:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try tapping the CV joint with a hammer and it should start to free up to where you can get a screwdriver in and pry i the rest of the way.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
In the Chilton Online manual

A Guy

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had mine out and in multiple times now and I have had to use a hammer and hit the CV joint to get it to start freeing up. I not saying beat on it but hit in a slight direction away from the mount (rear or trans) and it will start to break away from the mount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know the 2015+ cars have a ZF built rear-end, and thus it's not the same as the 2014 and below rear-ends, but I would think their drive-line connection is similar between the diffs. If they are, the drive-line coupler should unbolt from the rear-end flange, not pull out of it. Here's a pic from the service manual for the older LX rear-ends:

View attachment 996934
I did some reading on changing gear ratios and if he's loosened any of those boats that he's got listed it could have changed the spacing distancing between the gears and it all has to be reset now in better words everything has to be taken apart and remite to specifications?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts