Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a custom exhaust on my car and I plan on getting an aftermarket like a borla or something performance instead of noise. My muffler was slightly rubbing on my driveshaft so now I’m looking to get a new upgraded driveshaft and performance bolt on exhaust on my 2015 3.6 challenger SXT any suggestions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,732 Posts
I have the Solo Mach XV-CH for almost 12,000 miles. No issues with clearance with stock driveshaft. Pictures taken during install

A Guy

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
If your OEM driveshaft is rubbing your exhaust I don't see how getting an "upgraded" (do you mean 1" piece...if so it will make it worse) driveshaft will help?

On my RT I run a 4" one piece drive shaft and corsa extreme exhaust...I barely have ~3/8"" clearance from the mid mufflers but I get absolutely no rubbing...and that was before installing the diff brace which helps limit driveshaft movement as the pinion side of the diff does not move as much. I had to mess around with the rubber hangers to get the exhaust to droop just right...otherwise I would have had to pound on the mufflers for clearance.
@A Guy...woah that under carriage is uber clean...do you wax the bottom as well?!:grin2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your OEM driveshaft is rubbing your exhaust I don't see how getting an "upgraded" (do you mean 1" piece...if so it will make it worse) driveshaft will help?

On my RT I run a 4" one piece drive shaft and corsa extreme exhaust...I barely have ~3/8"" clearance from the mid mufflers but I get absolutely no rubbing...and that was before installing the diff brace which helps limit driveshaft movement as the pinion side of the diff does not move as much. I had to mess around with the rubber hangers to get the exhaust to droop just right...otherwise I would have had to pound on the mufflers for clearance.

@A Guy...woah that under carriage is uber clean...do you wax the bottom as well?!:grin2:

It’s rubbing because when it was welded and put in my uncle didn’t leave enough clearance for the driveshaft so now it’s rubbing on the muffler and we fixed it temporarily but now it’s to the point where I’m sick of messing with it

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
It’s rubbing because when it was welded and put in my uncle didn’t leave enough clearance for the driveshaft so now it’s rubbing on the muffler and we fixed it temporarily but now it’s to the point where I’m sick of messing with it

I would say your only option is to pound on the mufflers until you have enough clearance or heat the pipes so you can bend them away from the driveshaft. You most likely will need to disconnect the system at the mid-pipe connection to give you room...or use an air chisel with a blunt or "soft" tip.

Otherwise you could try to shim the diff but that is way more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say your only option is to pound on the mufflers until you have enough clearance or heat the pipes so you can bend them away from the driveshaft. You most likely will need to disconnect the system at the mid-pipe connection to give you room...or use an air chisel with a blunt or "soft" tip.

Otherwise you could try to shim the diff but that is way more trouble than it is worth.

I really want to just get a performance exhaust because theres some minor imperfections on the one me and my uncle fabricated and I’m looking HP wherever I can find it

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,647 Posts
I really want to just get a performance exhaust because theres some minor imperfections on the one me and my uncle fabricated and I’m looking HP wherever I can find it

You won't find power from a cat back, you'll only find noise!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,732 Posts
Lol, that was just under 600 miles when I had exhaust installed. Not had that view since. Shiny on top has been my focus, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat
110 Posts
I had almost the same problem. I went to a custom muffler shop and they weld a elbow to both sides and solved my problem.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
^^^what he said. Now if you go long tube headers (or even shorties)...that is a different story.
LT aren't possible on the 3.6 V6 - the exhaust manifold is integral cast into the head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know RIPP just came out with a new cat back that claims 10-15hp not sure about that

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
I know RIPP just came out with a new cat back that claims 10-15hp not sure about that

perhaps with more aggressive tuning + 93 octane tune - but how much is the spend after all that for maybe 15hp? [tune / unlocked PCM / exhaust system]

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,732 Posts
The Ripp sounds good in their video, but I'd not do a cat back expecting more power. I don't think the stock exhaust is restricting any power, it's just quiet

A Guy

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Ripp sounds good in their video, but I'd not do a cat back expecting more power. I don't think the stock exhaust is restricting any power, it's just quiet

RIPP Performance Exhaust System - 2018 Charger - NON Supercharged - YouTube

A Guy

I feel like all V6’s are quiet and the ones that aren’t sound like high pitched turd. Some of the nicer exhaust systems sound pretty good but it’s more exotic than muscle and they’re still fairly quiet unless you punch it. I finally gave up the never ending quest and just bought the biggest V8 I could find. No more problems!!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
I feel like all V6’s are quiet and the ones that aren’t sound like high pitched turd.
I have a neighbor kid with a V6 BMW where he modified the exhaust. On cold start-up the damn thing sounds like exhaust dumps are wide open and the tone is very unpleasant. Sounds like a POS import 6 banger from the 80s with a missing muffler. When it warms up it gets quieter (like active exhaust valves are partially closed) but good Lord it sounds like a piece of schitt on start-up...especially on Saturday mornings. My poor yorkie freaks out everytime.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have a neighbor kid with a V6 BMW where he modified the exhaust. On cold start-up the damn thing sounds like exhaust dumps are wide open and the tone is very unpleasant. Sounds like a POS import 6 banger from the 80s with a missing muffler. When it warms up it gets quieter (like active exhaust valves are partially closed) but good Lord it sounds like a piece of schitt on start-up...especially on Saturday mornings. My poor yorkie freaks out everytime.

I actually saw a BMW last weekend and it sounded the same way! That’s the problem with V6’s though, when i hear it I’m just like, “put your damn exhaust back on!” The people who chop the exhausts up all wish they had V8’s. My 2017 camaro sounded great with a flowmaster axle back exhaust but everything else was stock on it. It was quiet unless full throttle but it sounded nice and smooth and a bit sporty and it was enjoyable. It’s when people can’t accept that a V6 isn’t meant to be LOUD is when it turns into crap sound territory. I’m not a Ford guy but I will admit a GT Mustang is the sound I envision when I think of a good sounding car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts