Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been driving stick for about 1-1.5 years now. I had a truck DD and a beater manual car. Just got my Scat Pack a couple months ago and I'm not horrible, but not the best either. Some days my driving is smooth as silk, other days it's jerky and aggravating. I wear boots to work and have gotten used to those for daily driving, so when I switch to normal shoes, I feel like I'm releasing the clutch too fast and it's not smooth at all. I have no problems starting in first. It's more or less the 1-2 shift or 2-3.

Should I attend a driving school? I really just want to be continuously smooth during daily driving and maybe work on drag racing the car. I've only tried launching the car a handful of times and have gotten my best of 4.9 0-60 and a 13.3 1/4 as shown on the timer in the car.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Try adjusting your seat froward a little bit, so that your legs are more bent than straight. It will give you a little better control of the peddle so that it just don't pop out on you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those shifts are jumpy, even on the 5.7s. My ex GF used to act like a jack in the box (swaying back and forth) on those 2 first shifts, silent protest i believe that I bought a car instead of a ring.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Just takes practice to learn rev matching and shifting in the right spot when you are just driving for smoothness...Get that down and it soon becomes second nature....Don't be afraid to do 1/3/5 or start in 2 on flat roads when you are just cruising....You can make it very smooth if you want too....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been driving a manual since 1994 and I've noticed some similar issues as you even with all my experience. What I've noticed...when I first start up the car for the first mile or so it's almost like the fuel injection isn't working properly and the car has some pretty rough shifts. I know shifting and fuel injections sounds like totally different and unrelated things but I started doing something after I start my car up that clears the issue.

I've always rolled my eyes when people rev their engines after starting them up but for me, 3 good revs before I get going clears it all up.

Now that doesn't entirely sound like your issue but I'd 2nd the "moving the seat closer" advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I normally do the 1-3-5 shift. Shifting from 1-3 is pretty smooth, sometimes I hear a small clunk tho. I always rev match downshifts, it's the up shifts that are jerky sometimes. This is really what I'm having trouble with. The shift from 1-2, the RPMs drop so fast that it feels like I have to speed shift to catch it. My problem is I'm not consistent. It's like, in my mind I'm releasing the clutch at the right time and my left foot is giving me the middle finger and doing what it wants.

And in no expert, but I've found momentum of the car changes each shift. That's why I've thought of driving schools, then I research them and see the price and decide... Nope... Haha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and yea... I'll try moving the seat closer for sure. I have my seat pretty far back right now. I wish I didn't have to wear boots to work, but the Navy kinda makes me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried it all. As far as RPMs go. If I'm accelerating slowly, I'll shift at 2k. If I'm accelerating faster I'll shift between 3-3.5k. Neither one seems better as far as jerkiness is concerned. If I'm going really slow, around 10-15 mph, the 1-2 shift is not as bad. If I rev higher, I normally go from 1-3.

Trust me, I've been researching all forums to find out the reason why I'm not smooth. The biggest advice I got from threads are to rev a little higher before you shift and letting off the gas smoothly-clutch in-apply throttle-release clutch. The latter has shown some improvement, I guess I was pushing in the clutch before letting off the gas enough.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am 20 years into driving a manual and this T/A 392 is still making me thing WTF! I honestly think the clutch pedal pressure is too soft.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Try preloading the shifter before u push in the clutch. Just for a second, pull it like u want to shift then clutch, as soon as u push in the clutch it will bang in gear and let out the clutch. That helps me be smoother when I want my shift to be faster.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Search on here for the "Clutch Delay Valve Delete" thread; search YouTube for video of similar name, and do the mod...it will make your shifting far superior

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do the clutch delay delete remove those stupid restrictor in the clutch line, with that in its impossible to know where clutch engagement point is because its constantly changing. Do a search there is a video not hard to do.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Just keep doing what your doing or you'll have to change your name! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I also did the clutch delay valve removal and it really improved the speed shifting and helped smooth out the normal cruising shifts because your left foot can regulate the clutch engagement with more consistency without the delay valve's inconsistent fluid pressure restriction. I Also have to ware large steel toe boots at work when I drive my DD GT with the automatic no problems. But if I drive my manual Scat Pack Shaker to work on a nice summer day I put my work boots in the trunk and change them before and after work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my car in March this year and it was my first manual. I quickly realized that if you don't give it enough gas after you shift into the next gear the engine braking will jerk you back. Now all is smooth and good. Only issue is when accelerating hard going into 3rd gear I feel like im locked out. I think this has to do with the clutch delay valve. I'll tackle that this weekend when the new jack gets here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you tried driving it in sport mode? I find my shifts are smopther for some reason. Maybe the faster throttle response?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So, I've been driving stick for about 1-1.5 years now. I had a truck DD and a beater manual car. Just got my Scat Pack a couple months ago and I'm not horrible, but not the best either. Some days my driving is smooth as silk, other days it's jerky and aggravating. I wear boots to work and have gotten used to those for daily driving, so when I switch to normal shoes, I feel like I'm releasing the clutch too fast and it's not smooth at all. I have no problems starting in first. It's more or less the 1-2 shift or 2-3.

Should I attend a driving school? I really just want to be continuously smooth during daily driving and maybe work on drag racing the car. I've only tried launching the car a handful of times and have gotten my best of 4.9 0-60 and a 13.3 1/4 as shown on the timer in the car.
Do the clutch delay valve delete. You'll be surprised how much smoother your shifts are. Also I'd recommend getting a Barton shifter that will help too. But you'll see the biggest improvement with CDV delete.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
I bought my car in March this year and it was my first manual. I quickly realized that if you don't give it enough gas after you shift into the next gear the engine braking will jerk you back. Now all is smooth and good. Only issue is when accelerating hard going into 3rd gear I feel like im locked out. I think this has to do with the clutch delay valve. I'll tackle that this weekend when the new jack gets here.
Make sure it's not the Skip Shift, if it is get a Skip Shift Eliminator asap.

Though if you rev past the 2400 range when you shift it shouldn't be the skip shift.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts