Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying one of these babies in either Destroyer Grey or Octane Red. There's just one question I can't find the answer to:

Can you fully disable AWD Mode? I heard that you can hold down the Traction Control Button for 3 seconds to lock it in RWD. If that's possible that would be incredible, especially in sport mode!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looking into buying one of these babies in either Destroyer Grey or Octane Red. There's just one question I can't find the answer to:

Can you fully disable AWD Mode? I heard that you can hold down the Traction Control Button for 3 seconds to lock it in RWD. If that's possible that would be incredible, especially in sport mode!
According to this Motor Trend articel, you can disconnect the front wheel drive. Very nice feature!
2017 Dodge Challenger GT AWD First Drive - Motor Trend

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I read the book correctly... disabling Traction Control locks in the AWD mode... but I've not tried the disable process yet (still breaking in). ~d

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I read the manual online and this is what I understand too, so the one article that mentions disabling it has me confused. I need confirmation! It's not a make or break factor but, it changes the math I'm doing over the lifetime (less wear / better fuel economy)!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the GT in Destroyer Grey and love it. Not sure about the ability to lock out AWD. The default mode is RWD unless it's raining, below 32 or your skid turning through snow(which is fun in this car). With performance pages you can also set up the default driving mode to be sport, minus the AWD.

I swapped the spoiler and gas cap for matte black.

I love how smooth it drives.

Best of luck deciding. Can't go wrong in any color in a Challenger:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found one and attempted this. It cannot go in rwd mode in sport. AWD is locked in when set to sport mode. You can however set engine/transmission to normal in sport mode and have it decide if it wants to switch in or out.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have a GT and I think the RWD is only active in normal cruising in warm dry weather. The AWD is on under all other conditions. I think the idea is to prevent RWD burnouts because equal tire diameter is so important to keeping the transfer case clutches from burning up from slipping constantly to compensate for the different rolling distance of the more worn rear tires. I have a 16 Scat Pack M6 and tossing is around on dry roads is much more exciting than the GT. I put the 20"x9" Scat Pack wheels with the 245/45 tires and the extra traction and width improves corning greatly. I will switch back to the GT wheels and all seasons in the fall. I look forward to trying it in the snow this winter for the first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
FROM experience---there is absolutely no way in h** you can disable the awd !!! case in point,,,came out from work and had a flat tire !!! put doughnut on and away i went,,all was fine for a few miles
and then she went friggin nuts !!! dash lit up like a Christmas tree,,,tpms went crazy lookin for that doughnut,,,when it couldn't find it,, went into limp mode ,,omg 35-40 mph TOPS,,kept switching
from rwd to awd,,tried everything i to get it back to rwd,,paddles,manual shift,cycled sport mode,,shift to neutral and back into gear,,pulled over,shut car off AINT gonna happen
36 miles of this back and forth 1 1/2 hours later made it home,,so awd system can not be disabled,,and the ride absolutely HATES doughnuts !!!!!!
after everything was fixed,,tpms found tire,,it still didnt feel right,shifts,awd system would take about 1/2 hour or more to disengage after paddles or what ever
went to dealer for scan and it had 100's of codes !!! dealer cleared them all out and now she;s back to normal,,hell maybe a little better than before flat tire ?????

·
Registered
47 Posts
FROM experience---there is absolutely no way in h** you can disable the awd !!! case in point,,,came out from work and had a flat tire !!! put doughnut on and away i went,,all was fine for a few miles
and then she went friggin nuts !!! dash lit up like a Christmas tree,,,tpms went crazy lookin for that doughnut,,,when it couldn't find it,, went into limp mode ,,omg 35-40 mph TOPS,,kept switching
from rwd to awd,,tried everything i to get it back to rwd,,paddles,manual shift,cycled sport mode,,shift to neutral and back into gear,,pulled over,shut car off AINT gonna happen
36 miles of this back and forth 1 1/2 hours later made it home,,so awd system can not be disabled,,and the ride absolutely HATES doughnuts !!!!!!
after everything was fixed,,tpms found tire,,it still didnt feel right,shifts,awd system would take about 1/2 hour or more to disengage after paddles or what ever
went to dealer for scan and it had 100's of codes !!! dealer cleared them all out and now she;s back to normal,,hell maybe a little better than before flat tire ?????
Interesting ... wondering if we can have a 5th TPMS installed on a spare - don't currently have a spare... but if I ever have one the idea is NOT to have to go into limp mode... ~d

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I don't think that No TPMS in the spare was causing the limp mode but the fact that the temp. spare not being the same diameter as the other 3 tires is what is what is giving the computer fits as different size tires no the car is very hard on the transfer case. That is why I am getting a spare GT wheel and matching tire to use as a spare when I go on a long trip. I don't mind using the temp. spare to get home or to my tire shop in my local area but if I am over 50 miles from home I want a full size spare with me. Plus I have a tire plug kit in the trunk and an air compressor so I can plug small holes and blowup the tire with out removing the wheel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I cant believe Chrysler would include a spare of different diameter knowing full well it would cause problems for the AWD.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Under the hood in fuse panel pull the 1st 20amp fuse and the first 10 amp fuse these are your awd controll module and fnt axle disconnect then it will never go into awd.until you replace the fuses

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
If you want to be able to easily force RWD mode (via a push of a button), get yourself a Z-automotive Tazer. It allows you to force RWD (and does a lot of other things too).

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can simply take out a fuse, it's cavity 48 – 10 Amp Red AWD Module / Front Axle Disconnect – If Equipped . I have a 2019 Challenger sxt.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
I can only wonder what detrimental effect disabling the system that way could have?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah, I think I'd opt to spend the money for the Tazer before I started pulling fuses to disable such a complex system. Just not worth the risk, IMO... Plus the other benefits of the Tazer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts