Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a job that is about a mile from my house. Should I be worried about driving such short distances and not letting the car get to operating temperature on a regular basis?

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
I'd walk or ride a bike. It's not good as there will be condensation in the oil and exhaust from such short start ups.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have the same problem as you, but it's no big deal. Take the long way home every now and again. Also, when you are not at work take her for a nice drive. I take my RT out every chance I get ;). Short trips are better than no trips like those poor garage queens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sorry for the double post...damn cell phones!

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
I'd walk or ride a bike. It's not good as there will be condensation in the oil and exhaust from such short start ups.

You should take your Challenger on at least a 30-45 minute trip on the weekend to keep your battery charged up. Also, you should change your oil more frequently.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Short trips = bad for cars. Even a 5 mile drive is not likely long enough to fully warm the engine.

Remember that internal combustion engines produce water vapor. Ever see water dripping from a tailpipe when warming up on a cold day? This water vapor is easily burned off during normal engine running. But if not allowed to fully warm, water can collect and contaminate the oil somewhat.

If you find that you must do the one mile commute, my suggestion would be to change the oil very often (maybe every 1,000 miles) and use a battery tender a few times a month to keep the battery topped up.

Or, just take the long way home and enjoy driving your Challenger. :D

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,907 Posts
I can't think of a worse thing to put your car through than that. I take it pretty easy when I start up my car and make sure the oil temp and pressure are reasonable before getting on it. It takes at least 10 minutes before they get there depending on the outside temperature, but optimal operating temperatures take >15 minutes to get there at highway speeds. I can't imagine what your engine is doing starting up with cold viscous oil while building up condensation everywhere.
As others have said, frequent oil changes will be a must and a decent ride now and then to charge your battery is important too, since the starter motor takes a lot out of the battery not to mention headlights, radio, and every other electronic device going. I'd get a bike or walk for a trip that short and save your car.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
1 mile trips would be bad to do everyday, like was said above it would be better to walk or ride a bike and let the car sit and drive it on the weekends.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would bike or walk, but it is uphill getting there and I like to come home for lunch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A scooter would work, and save you the heart attack, but you might get run over by a challenger

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well its your choice. Personally I would walk or bike just for the cost savings and little bit of exercise. One mile is nothing! Plus its not like we have to worry about weather here in socal right?! :banana:

·
Registered
519 Posts
get a Vespa

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,907 Posts
I would bike or walk, but it is uphill getting there and I like to come home for lunch.
Argh, I thought a trip back and forth from work was bad enough, but now you've just doubled the problem! If you're only putting low mileage on the car like that with such short trips on a daily basis, you're probably better off leasing. At the end of the lease, turn it in and let the next person deal with your car. Other than that, I'd buy a Honda Grom lol. It never rains in Southern CA. On the rare occasion it does, it's Challenger time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know that I could put up with the endless heckling I would get from my friends if a owned a Vespa. hahah

Though I have thought about buying an old Triumph.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't know that I could put up with the endless heckling I would get from my friends if a owned a Vespa. hahah

Though I have thought about buying an old Triumph.
Short trips aren't good for them either, you just need to move further away!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If you go Wide Open Throttle all the way to work , you should be up to operating temp quickly !:bigthumb:

Reactions: stevec3201

·
Registered
718 Posts
I used to live about three miles from work for about 10 years, drove with no ill effect. Change your oil frequently and use a battery maintainer and you'll be golden.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts