Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!
1. Is there no way to activate the DRLs w/o an expensive trip to an authorized dealer?
2. If the law says all vehicles built after 1990 must have them why aren't they activated on the assembly line, especially since Challengers are inported from Canada?
3. My car has the fancy HI headlight system, along with everything else I can think of. Would those lights interfere with having DRLs? (I don't think so.)
I just phoned the Dodge Dealer. As expected, they appear to be ignorant to the info posted in this forum pertaining to DRL activation. Of course they want to charge me to activate the DRLs, even though they don't knoe how! My car is still under another year of warranty. Shouldn't the dealer activate them for free?
I fail to understand why Dodge/Chrysler DRLs aren't activated free of charge. Appreciate any & all answers.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
DRL's are turned on via Chrysler's StarScan system. The ones sold and licensed in Canada should have them on. The ones in the US can have them turned on by anyone with StarScan (typically a dealership) and it's a very simple proceedure. Some dealerships will want to charge you for it, others won't. If they try, take it to another dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
DRL are not required in the US as I understand it.

You would have a better chance getting them activated at a dealer for no charge if you are getting some other service or warranty work done.

I don't think my dealer charged me, but I did buy the car there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My dealer didn't charge me to have them turned on, but I had to explain to them how to do it after they repeatedly told me there wasn't an option for that. Search this forum there is a step by step process that I printed and handed to the service department. They finally did it for me, took less than 5 minutes for them to turn on the DRLs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
with all the get togethers and track days we have around the country
its too bad we cant get our hands on one of them just to take to each event
or get a local dodge dealer to send a tech out with one especially if they
sponsor the event.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
with all the get togethers and track days we have around the country
its too bad we cant get our hands on one of them just to take to each event
or get a local dodge dealer to send a tech out with one especially if they
sponsor the event.
I don't know about all mods with the programmer but I've read some of them you need an ethernet connection to the factory.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just to be clear about the subject here since I've seen this brought up a few times and I have a few questions:

1. Are the amber lights on the front of the car the DRLs you all are referring too?
2. If they are the amber lights then can't you just turn the light switch one notch to the right and have them on? That's what I do since I like the affect.
3. What does it mean to have them activated?

Not trying to Hijack anything here, but just getting some clarity since I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered this. Thanks! :)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
have the dealer do it, and don't let them charge u for a 3 minute procedure, if not take you business to another dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
1. Are the amber lights on the front of the car the DRLs you all are referring too?
Correct, the pair in towards the middle of the grille. They also function as turn signals and marker lights, each at a different power level.
2. If they are the amber lights then can't you just turn the light switch one notch to the right and have them on? That's what I do since I like the affect.
You could, but this only lights them at the marker light level of power, which is like 30% of max. DRLs run at 60% of max, while turn signals run at 100% of max. Or something like these numbers.
This means the dealership goes in with their computer systems (aka "StarScan") and sets them to DRL=on in the car's computer. So that when the car is running and in gear, they come on and stay on all the time at 60% power. At night when the headlights (and marker lights) are on, they run like normal marker lights, at 30% power.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
i don't know if anyone with a normal starMobile tool can do this, but i can enable the turn signals, high-beams, low-beams, or fog lamps as the DRL. i can also change the voltage to any of these DRLs.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Pretty sure the StarScan the dealerships use just have that all set up, and they just turn it on. Sounds like what you've got is much more advanced.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
nabor dodgr in nc did mine for $0 bought my car in SC, if yours does not get a new dealer cuz they are rippin u off.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Just to be clear about the subject here since I've seen this brought up a few times and I have a few questions:

Not trying to Hijack anything here, but just getting some clarity since I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered this. Thanks! :)

For new members, the search feature is your friend. All these questions have been answered before.

The DRLs are the amber lamps - but they are MUCH brighter than just turning the parking lamps on. I've posted photos of the comparison - the difference is like night and day - LOL.

The Brampton factory activates the DRLs on cars built for Canadian delivery - but they're left off for U.S. destined Challengers. The dealer's Star Scan tool is needed to activate them - but it is a very simple 5 minute procedure to do so, and many delivering dealers won't charge the owner to activate them... mine didn't.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

As mentioned, not running full power to DRL when light switch is "parking lamps" only position. Not only that, but when you do this, the rear running lamps are on as well as the side makers.

When DRL's are enabled, you just have the turns signal lamps on only.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Well, I just got home from at 75 mile one way trip to my dealer. He gave me my first free oil change. I though I would have my DRL activated there as it would be my best chance at having it done for free. Before you start anything, this guy had the car I wanted and my local dealer only carries R/Ts with stick for $9,500 more than my SE.
When I picked up my car the service writer said, "We did everything except activate the running lights." I asked why? He yelled and the tech came over and said it can't be done on my car.
"What," I said?
"Does your car have the auto headlights?" he asked.
"No," I replied.
"Well, it has to be an R/T."
"All you have to do is connect up the StarScan and activate it," I said. I went through the steps, ECU -> TIPM -> etc. All the while he was going uh huh, uh huh.
"Your car is not set up for the StarScan," he said. Then he asked me, "How do you know all this?" I told him I got it by reading all the posts on Challengertalk forum. Then he said, "You can't believe all that is said on those forums."
I said, "Ooooookay?" Turned and walked out to my car, wondering if I should ever return to that dealership again.

Just to be sure, are there any SE owners that have had their DRL turned on? And don't you have to use the StarScan tool to activate just about anything on the car? I bought a hands free mic and module for my uconnect and it has a full page of instructions on how to log in and activate that. However, after I connected it and started up the car, bango, it said phone found and walked me through pairing my radio and I was working from the get go. Do you suppose the factory activated this when they knew there was a MyGig installed in the car?

On a side note, a young guy brought my car out of the shop and backed it into a stall out by the waiting room. A minute later an older employee walked out to my car and got in and his head was looking all over the interior leaning over here and there. Then he got out and went behind my car and bent over and looked at my plate. Then he opened my hood and looked at the struts. Closed the hood and walked inside. Suppose there was some buzz in the shop at all my mods?????? Either that or he was looking at my pipes and then had to open the hood and look to see what engine it had since I have the car looking like an R/T.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hope this helps. :)
Omicron, thanks a lot for this clarification bro. I really like the way the amber lights look when they're on so I'll probably head to my local dealership in a couple of days to have them activate the DRLs. :bigthumb:

For new members, the search feature is your friend. All these questions have been answered before.
Thanks Jay. I figured that with the tons of threads on here that these questions have probably been answered before, but I was running late for work and the questions were fresh on my mind for a thread that it was pertinent to, so I figured "Why not?" :)

Mucho appreciado on the rest of your response as well man. I'll check out those photos you mentioned. Would like to see the difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I just got home from at 75 mile one way trip to my dealer. He gave me my first free oil change. I though I would have my DRL activated there as it would be my best chance at having it done for free. Before you start anything, this guy had the car I wanted and my local dealer only carries R/Ts with stick for $9,500 more than my SE.
When I picked up my car the service writer said, "We did everything except activate the running lights." I asked why? He yelled and the tech came over and said it can't be done on my car.
"What," I said?
"Does your car have the auto headlights?" he asked.
"No," I replied.
"Well, it has to be an R/T."
"All you have to do is connect up the StarScan and activate it," I said. I went through the steps, ECU -> TIPM -> etc. All the while he was going uh huh, uh huh.
"Your car is not set up for the StarScan," he said. Then he asked me, "How do you know all this?" I told him I got it by reading all the posts on Challengertalk forum. Then he said, "You can't believe all that is said on those forums."
I said, "Ooooookay?" Turned and walked out to my car, never to return to that dealership again.

Just to be sure, are there any SE owners that have had their DRL turned on? And don't you have to use the StarScan tool to activate just about anything on the car? I bought a hands free mic and module for my uconnect and it has a full page of instructions on how to log in and activate that. However, after I connected it and started up the car, bango, it said phone found and walked me through pairing my radio and I was working from the get go. Do you suppose the factory activated this when they knew there was a MyGig installed in the car?

On a side note, a young guy brought my car out of the shop and backed it into a stall out by the waiting room. A minute later an older employee walked out to my car and got in and his head was looking all over the interior leaning over here and there. Then he got out and went behind my car and bent over and looked at my plate. Then he opened my hood and looked at the struts. Closed the hood and walked inside. Suppose there was some buzz in the shop at all my mods?????? Either that or he was looking at my pipes and then had to open the hood and look to see what engine it had since I have the car looking like an R/T.
not sure wether or not DRLs can be enabled on your SE. never tried, but seems like several members here have had it done so i'll have to assume it can be done.
some clarification;
starscan does not support 2010 & newer models. need either starmobile or witech.
as for your uconnect HFM (hands free module), it will work just fine but will not communicate with the vehicle's other modules until the vehicle's config file is updated to reflect the change. you may not notice any ill effects from this but it will affect diagnostics should the unit ever malfunction.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts