Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some threads on issued folks are having with Halos and DRLs on their newer Challengers, I've realized that I don't know if I know the difference between them. I owne a '13 R/T and am planning my next Challenger purchase, and want to be fully informed.

Here's what I think I know. Somebody correct me where I'm wrong.

Outside lights are headlights. High and low beam. They have a white "Halo" around them that's on anytime the headlights are on. There's no way to disable the white "Halo" around the headlights.

The inner lights are both DRLs and Turn signals. They can be white or amber DRLs (UConnect configured) and can be configured to be off all the time (in the U.S.). The amber part of the inner lights is your turn signal, and obviously, cannot be "configured" to be off.

Assuming all of that is correct.....Does anybody make aftermarket headlamp assemblies that do not include the white halos around the headlight? Or can they be removed altogether? I've seen some DIY stuff involving installing resistors and such, and frankly I'd rather not see them on or off. Since I'm considering a T/A 392 with the air intakes on the inner lights, I suppose I'd have to live with the ring lights there....but if I opted for a different model, are there any aftermarket light options that don't involve the rings on the inner lights? I just don't like the rings and would like to have normal lights (headlights, and turn signals) on a newer Challenger. DRLs are not an issue for me because I run my headlights during the day anyway.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,561 Posts
On the 2015-up the DRLs can not change color, they are always orange. US models can deactivate the DRL. Also the white halo surrounds both the outer and inner portion of the headlight. The halos are dim white when the headlights are off but go to slightly brighter white when they are on.

If you get a tazer you can reconfigure your fog lights to be DRL.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info, as usual, but none of that makes me happy. I still can't stand they way the amber lights look (dark/light gaps around the ring like those aweful "eyebrow" LED bars on all the euro-cars) or how the white ring around the headlights look.

Does anybody make aftermarket replacements for these that do not include the rings. I see ones for 08-14 that add the rings to those that didn't originally have them, but if I buy an '18, or '19, I'd rather have headlights that look like my '13.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,561 Posts
I have not seen aftermarket replacement lights for the +2015 models. I have had my headlights open and it is possible to deactivate the white halos for good by just unplugging them from the main PCB. But this can only be done by opening the headlights.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No separate fuse? Or perhaps finding the source of the circuit and break it there? I'd even cut and tape a wire, if I thought the diagnostics wouldn't freak out and give me constant alarms.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
No separate fuse? Or perhaps finding the source of the circuit and break it there? I'd even cut and tape a wire, if I thought the diagnostics wouldn't freak out and give me constant alarms.
If there's an open circuit it will put error messages out - IIRC, the halos and side market lights have some tie-in on the circuits.

The direction you're going for is pretty much the opposite of the aftermarket - most were adding halos on their '08 - '14 Challengers. With the '15+ it seems like its color changing halos are the big thing.

Since the OEM are halo already, I doubt any aftermarket will be without it.

And yes - some cars have these "gratuitous" LED lights around the headlights and some look absolutely stupid from a styling perspective- everyone's trying to be 'distinctive' and it doesn't work it a lot of cases.
-and some of the things are really bring, even in daylight. Just saw a recent Escalade (it has them in the headlights and another set down below the bumper).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love the orange DRLs. Most cars are white.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, if you unplug the white halo leds from the circuit board in the headlight no errors pop up.
Once I own one with Halos, if they still make me gag, like they do when I see them now, I'll have to consider putting the effort into pulling the headlights out, and disconnecting them.

This would be one of those cool "options" that Dodge should offer on all of these "crazy packages" I'm hearing might be part of the offerings as they close out this current body style.

Perhaps a "Halo delete" option along with the "Stripe delete", "Spoiler delete", "Badging delete".

If I could get a T/A 392 with the black hood/roof/rear deck, and NOT have the halos, T/A stripes, badges and functionless trunk spoiler......that would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Once I own one with Halos, if they still make me gag, like they do when I see them now, I'll have to consider putting the effort into pulling the headlights out, and disconnecting them.

This would be one of those cool "options" that Dodge should offer on all of these "crazy packages" I'm hearing might be part of the offerings as they close out this current body style.

Perhaps a "Halo delete" option along with the "Stripe delete", "Spoiler delete", "Badging delete".

If I could get a T/A 392 with the black hood/roof/rear deck, and NOT have the halos, T/A stripes, badges and functionless trunk spoiler......that would be perfect.
You can order a stripe delete option on T/A models - so the side body stripes are omitted. The 392 call out is a decal as well.

There's no badges on the T/A models since the designation is within the side stripes - the spoiler has a T/A decal (which can be removed).
The grilles have a script Challenger badge - if you wanted those can be removed as well.

The spoilers have the backup camera; the base SXT and R/T used to have a short spoiler w/o a camera - but since MY '18 all new vehicles must have back up cameras.

IMO - I've seen base model Challengers that don't have rear spoilers back when spoiler delete was avail '11-'13 - and it makes them look, well like base models missing options. Same applies to the '15+, they're rental fleet SXT base models.

The grille badge

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Making the car look like a fleet SXT is part of the whole "sleeper" look. Actually, an R/T Scat-Pak (392)with the R/T hood (same as SXT), debadged would look more like an SXT. But if the back-up camera is in the spoiler, I don't think i'd mess with that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
I'd rather my car be awake, lol. Sleeper only matters if you are street racing and trying to put one over on someone...mostly no one will fall for it I'd think. Better to have a good looking car all the time ;)

And the yellow DRLs on a black car? Sinister!

A Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts