Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 2011 srt8 6.4 stick a "hearthrob 3 inch cat back that has two larger glasspack muffler up front and two small glass packs for resonators. The drone is deafening. Not bad at highway speeds in 6th but around town and like going up a hill when theres a load at between idle and 2k it is terrible. I tried sound matting the whole floor and wheel wells up to the front seat backs and it didnt help a thing. I ordered a magnaflow axle back (resonator and tips) thinking it would help but it was 700 bucks and i got thinking if it didnt help and i had to buy a whole cat back id have wasted money. One other problem is this system sounds fantastic when you get on it. Sounds like the old muscle cars i grew up with and i hate to loose that and have a car that sounds like a european sports car. Any suggestions as to a cheaper fix or any suggestions to a differnt cat back that has a nasty snarl to it when accelerating but no drone or at least very little. Anyone have a borla atak? Drone?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You're going in the wrong direction. The issue is not to look for a different cat back system, the issue is to install drone-cancelling mufflers up front, commonly known as the mid-muffler position. Flowmaster Super 40's, Dynomax Ultraflo's, and Magnaflow are all available with 3” inlet/outlets, and all will preserve the classic muscle car sound while minimizing drone inside. The Flowmaster will give you a chambered muffler sound, the Dynomax and Magnaflow are flow-through designs like your glasspacks, but with a bigger muffler case and sound-deadening packing to minimize drone. You're most likely going to spend $200 - $400 to fix your problem with these options. They WILL be quieter, but that's going to be a mandatory sacrifice so that your ears don't throb.

Sent from my LG V40 Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another option would be helmholtz resonators, also called 1/4 wave resonators. I had a really nasty drone on my last challenger and like you I loved the wide open throttle sound. I ended up taking it to a local muffler shop and got lucky, one of the guys there was really knowledgeable . After the work was done the drone was cut by 70% easily but the wide open roar was still there. Just a thought

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
research ive done so far shows me that flowmasters and magnaflows drone too. im conidering the mbrp drone free system or possibly putting resonators ahead of my existing mufflers but i hate to dump 200 bucks more on something that is not going to do the job.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plus the mbrb cat back is about 500 dollars cheaper then a magnaflow or corsa

·
Registered
71 Posts
research ive done so far shows me that flowmasters and magnaflows drone too. im conidering the mbrp drone free system or possibly putting resonators ahead of my existing mufflers but i hate to dump 200 bucks more on something that is not going to do the job.
There's a lot of people here that put on the wrong combinations and then end up with drone. Flowmasters will drone if the wrong muffler is chosen; and if resonators are deleted that just multiplies the problem. I'm not suggesting the Super 40's from research, I'm suggesting them from experience. I had the Delta Flow 40's on for four months, - it's their quietest muffler in their "aggressive" category. My goal was to get rid of drone between 1500 - 1900 RPM from my stock exhaust. And although they were 100% drone-free and they sounded great outside, they were TOO quiet inside. I recently changed them out for the Super 40's, which is the next level up in loudness. They have a deeper tone, can be heard more on the inside, but still tame when cruising, light-to-medium acceleration, and when the engine goes into MDS mode. They're still quieter than the stock exhaust. Keep in mind I have a 2016 SRT392 with the A8, and I have my stock resonators in place at the rear bumpers. It will cost you $200 for a pair plus labor.

Looking at MBRB's website, it looks like their 3" catback systems are about $1,250 (Part#: S7110304). Obviously it's your money and your choice how you want to spend it, but I'm just saying there's a pathway to get rid of your drone problem more cost-efffectively.

As a side note, if you're going to put resonators anywhere, it should be in the back near the rear bumpers. Mufflers on Challengers go in the middle.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem i have is i bought this car with a heart throb cat back on it that has terrible drone but i dont have the stock exhaust to use the stock resonators. Im also not wanting any exhaust thats quieter then stock. This heart throb is LOUD and i love the sound and if didnt have the bad drone id never change it. I found the mbrp for under a grand shipped. Money isnt my biggest concern. Id gladly pay 1500 for a system that sounded good and had no drone and was stainless so it would be a one time purchase. Had a magnaflow on my last vette and it had drone too. Not as loud enough as this one but still bad enough that i wouldnt have bought i knowing. Had a corsa system on my last silverado. It had no drone but was a bit tame in the sound dept.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Solo performance has a good stainless system with the drone canceling j pipes. I put it on mine I got sick of the drone from magnaflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts