Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need opinions/experiences with regular OEM style drop-in air filters. Should I go with Wix, or is there another OEM quality air filter?

Not interested in KN or "performance" drop-ins, however I might be open to the AEM dry drop-in filter, so if you have info on the AEM, let me know.

·
Registered
896 Posts
AFE makes a high quality drop in filter. I would stay away from the K&N hype, but in reality, NOTHING will out filer the stock paper.

·
Registered
670 Posts
how does AEM rate as a drop in?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have an AEM dry filter and it does out-flow the stock filter (I've measure the restriction) but is still restrictive.
My area is not very dusty but if it were, I'd stick with the stock filter.
If you go with an aftermarket filter I would count the pleats. Some filters don't have nearly as much surface area and wont flow as well or last as long.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Wix makes good filters, if you want OEM-type then I wouldn't worry about a Wix being detrimental to the health of your engine. I ran an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in in my 2011 and it was fine, I didn't notice any difference in performance and I didn't see any dust collecting in my intake tube like I've seen in the past with K&N-style filters.

K&N filters are really quite horrible. They only flow better initially and at the expense of filter efficiency (They let a LOT of dirt through), they load up fast because they don't have a lot of dust-holding capacity and then they become restrictive.

At this point, if I were going to pay for a replacement filter (The aFe was basically free) I would either stick with the OEM-style (Which flow fine for stock engines) or go with a Volant CAI with a Donaldson PowerCore filter. The PowerCore filters not only out-flow the OEM filter they also have a higher filter efficiency which means they keep the air being fed to the engine even cleaner than the OEM filter.

Also, this: http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

·
Registered
670 Posts
thank you guys :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I cant understand why someone doesn't make a paper filter with 3/4" to 1" taller pleats.
There's room for them and it would sure breath a hell of a lot better.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Wix makes good filters, if you want OEM-type then I wouldn't worry about a Wix being detrimental to the health of your engine. I ran an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in in my 2011 and it was fine, I didn't notice any difference in performance and I didn't see any dust collecting in my intake tube like I've seen in the past with K&N-style filters.

K&N filters are really quite horrible. They only flow better initially and at the expense of filter efficiency (They let a LOT of dirt through), they load up fast because they don't have a lot of dust-holding capacity and then they become restrictive.

At this point, if I were going to pay for a replacement filter (The aFe was basically free) I would either stick with the OEM-style (Which flow fine for stock engines) or go with a Volant CAI with a Donaldson PowerCore filter. The PowerCore filters not only out-flow the OEM filter they also have a higher filter efficiency which means they keep the air being fed to the engine even cleaner than the OEM filter.

Also, this: ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
What do you think of the AIRAID dry CAI's?? Do you think they filter as good as a OEM?? I have a AIRAID dry on my Challenger.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
What do you think of the AIRAID dry CAI's?? Do you think they filter as good as a OEM?? I have a AIRAID dry on my Challenger.

I don't have any opinion about them, sorry. They probably flow better but don't filter quite as well. Well enough? Probably.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,291 Posts
AEM, have had no issues whatsoever!
Hemi4us

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
K&N drop in here. Been using them over 20 years. No issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
...At this point, if I were going to pay for a replacement filter (The aFe was basically free) I would either stick with the OEM-style (Which flow fine for stock engines) or go with a Volant CAI with a Donaldson PowerCore filter. The PowerCore filters not only out-flow the OEM filter they also have a higher filter efficiency which means they keep the air being fed to the engine even cleaner than the OEM filter.
Anyone here running a Volant on their scats? I had one on my '09 RAM R/T and was pretty impressed with it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Really? Maybe you can give me the math behind your statement. :nerd:
There are SAE standards for testing air filter flow that involve actual science, not pseudoscience like that youtube video which doesn't involve any actual measurement of anything.

What was the pressure drop experienced in that test? Oh...nobody knows... :)

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
I ordered the HellCat OEM filter, and will try it out. Got it from my local dealer for $24.00. On another thread, the HC OEM filter does flow considerably more, and holds the same amount of dirt.

It'll be a few weeks before I put it in, as I want the weather to warm up a bit and stay there. Not really expecting anything great out of just changing the filter, as the stock air boxes appear to flow well, but we'll see what happens.

If the drivability stays the same or improves, and it feels a little better before redline, then it was worth the $24. If not, I sure didn't lose much on this "Hellbilly mod". LOL

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
838 Posts
WIX filter number for SRT and Hellcat are the same...Just a FYI...

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
WIX filter number for SRT and Hellcat are the same...Just a FYI...
Which is the wrong filter for the Hellcat. The WIX 49746 filter has been out since at least 2013 and is listed as the replacement filter for all Challengers, from the 3.6L up to the Hellcat.

I had a similar problem with Napa (WIX) shortly after the new airbox came out with the 2011s, they had the old rectangular air filter listed as fitting the 2011+ and that was incorrect as well.

So, buyer beware. Napa/WIX are slow to adapt to "subtle" changes.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Last I checked, the WIX site states that "HC" filter is not available at this time.

That's why I ordered an OEM unit from my dealer. I wanted to get the HC filter, not a filter that just "fits".

That said, I have used, and like the WIX filter products over the years. They have been producing quality products for a long time, and WIX manufactures the "SRT" oil filter in their European plant. This is another filter that WIX doesn't offer under their name. They show an "equivalent", but it doesn't have the synthetic media that the SRT one that they produce has.

Great products though, one just has to do a little research to make sure you're getting the exact same thing in filters.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts