Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have an aftermarket catback exhaust. I want to open her up more with the intake. Already planning on getting a modded TB, but what about the air filter?

Let me first state, that 1.) I don't care how things look under the hood, so I am not getting this for a dress up. I'm merely wanting to have better flow with a filter better than paper, that has that nice sucking intake sound when I hit the gas. If I free up a couple horses, so be it, I understand this is not a big mod at all.

Many say the stock air box flows fine, so would getting an aftermarket filter and just dropping it in, give me the slightly better response and sound I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I got my CAI before I got my Solos but with the stock exhaust I had a K&N drop in filter and then got my Mopar CAI. The sound was alot better with the CAI than the K&N. I don't know that it was $350 better.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Find someone to sell you their SRT air box and get a drop in use the money saved for a predator.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got my CAI before I got my Solos but with the stock exhaust I had a K&N drop in filter and then got my Mopar CAI. The sound was alot better with the CAI than the K&N. I don't know that it was $350 better.
Yeah, that's the thing. From what I've read a CAI won't add much HP, but they do sound great. Not sure if I'd spend $350 either for just sound. If an aftermarket drop in won't be much more flow over stock, I might as well just stay stock.

I do dig this CAI though : http://shop.roto-fab.com/product.sc?productId=19

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had bought an extra stock air box with the plan to modify it by putting as large, as I could fit, cone filter in the box, and just use 4" muffler pipe from the throttle body coupler to the air box to provide a smooth air path. I had a 90* coupler for the throttle body, so that the 4" pipe would be a straight shot to the modified air box. You could paint or powder coat the pipe black, and it would look almost factory if you paid attention to the little details.

That was my plan until I ran across a good deal on the Cervini Ram Air kit (I know it is not real ram air). I now will modify the Cervini air box to work the same way as I described above. I am going to have the 4" pipe running from the Cervini air box to my 90* throttle body coupler.

I am currently running a drop in K&N, and I have been since day 2 of ownership.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A $50 k&n will be as good if not better than the $300 systems out there. My r/t pulls cold air from the inner fender.If you data log you will find that the inlet air temp in the stock system is as low as any of the expensive setups and in many cases lower. My baseline was a [email protected]. Last sunday I ran a 8.83 at 81.2 mph.Thats a .8 second improvement with nothing more than two magnaflow 2.5" mufflers, stock 2.25" piping, a 180* stat and a predator 93cai tune with a .5% fuel enrichment and a k&n drop in.I ran quicker than a 392 6-speed the week before who ran a 8.89 @83mph.That figures out to a 13.7 1/4mile at 102mph, nothing spectacular, but I ran in "D" with esp on. Short shifted 1-2 at 4800rpm, 2-3 at 5400 rpm, costing me at least a tenth and 2-3 mph.Which would put me in the mid to low 13's at 105mph.Drag radials would put me in the low 13's at 106-107. Do not disrespect the R/T autos....

·
Registered
171 Posts
A $50 k&n will be as good if not better than the $300 systems out there. My r/t pulls cold air from the inner fender.If you data log you will find that the inlet air temp in the stock system is as low as any of the expensive setups and in many cases lower. My baseline was a [email protected] Last sunday I ran a 8.83 at 81.2 mph.Thats a .8 second improvement with nothing more than two magnaflow 2.5" mufflers, stock 2.25" piping, a 180* stat and a predator 93cai tune with a .5% fuel enrichment and a k&n drop in.I ran quicker than a 392 6-speed the week before who ran a 8.89 @83mph.That figures out to a 13.7 1/4mile at 102mph, nothing spectacular, but I ran in "D" with esp on. Short shifted 1-2 at 4800rpm, 2-3 at 5400 rpm, costing me at least a tenth and 2-3 mph.Which would put me in the mid to low 13's at 105mph.Drag radials would put me in the low 13's at 106-107. Do not disrespect the R/T autos....
I agree with Lashlarue:
I have a K&N drop-in with good cat-back mufflers, I also have a BBK 85 mm Throttle Body with a 2011 Charger R/T air duct (with out the resonator) and I also have achieved good results. The reason I purchased the 2011 Charger R/T air duct was to get rid of the resonator so I could install my catch can. With that set-up, I have more throttle response versus the stock set-up.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided to save money and stick with my stock airbox and get a drop in filter, probably K&N. I would, however like a nonoiled filter, which can be just washed out? Any options there?

With the saved money I will be getting a reworked stock throttle body, which will provide more response and a cool sucking sound. Not much HP I know, but it's a fun mod which I did with my last Mopar, a 1500 Ram with the 360.

Now after the filter, exhaust (catback, which I have already), and TB, will I need a Diablo tuner? I don't want my car to run too lean. Also if i do get a tuner I guess I could get the 180* t-stat and change the fan speeds.

Never planned on adding all these, but I think it will really wake up my motor.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
The predator will wake up the car. On the auto it's more noticable than a 6 speed but I'm sure it will help.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My gut tells me to get a K&N drop in filter, and that the HP difference between that and a full blown $300+ CAI system is small. However, it would be nice to get that performance sound out of the intake too. I think an aggressive intake sucking sound would compliment my Borla exhaust well.

I want to keep the car fairly stock and reliable so have decided not to get a Diablo tuner. Besides mine is a 6 speed, and I already have a skip shift eliminator. I have a minor mod bug, but getting a tuner would give me too many expensive ideas! :fight:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't want expensive ideas your in the wrong place. That's all these guys have. LOL
LOL, well I guess that is true to a large extent., spending money and getting toys is fun anyway you cut it. I guess I'm compelled either way as far as flow and perceived gains go, but I'm such an audio junkie I'd spend the extra money just for the better sound. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went with the K&N filter drop in. Really worked nicely with my reworked throttle body. Instead of spending so much money on a CAI and get small results compared to the K&N, I am going to save the money and use it for a Predator tune eventually. That should really wake my car up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you like it now, your are going to love it with a predator tune.The inlet air system is well designed and in many cases will draw in cooler air than the high dollar aftermarket systems. I've only seen one that seemed as functional and added underhood pzazz. $250 for pzazz can be spent on more worthy mods. Like a dyno tune. Counting the Predator,k&n drop in, two magnaflow mufflers,180*stat I have spent less than $800 and improved my times in the 1/8th by .8

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you like it now, your are going to love it with a predator tune.The inlet air system is well designed and in many cases will draw in cooler air than the high dollar aftermarket systems. I've only seen one that seemed as functional and added underhood pzazz. $250 for pzazz can be spent on more worthy mods. Like a dyno tune. Counting the Predator,k&n drop in, two magnaflow mufflers,180*stat I have spent less than $800 and improved my times in the 1/8th by .8
Nice! Now that's what I call good bang for your buck. Initially I was attracted to the "cold air intakes" that most people had, and thought that spending all that extra money would get the best results. Good thing I did my research and didn't jump into too quickly with any mod. I don't care about my engine compartment looking pretty, and $300+ for more intake sound isn't worth it IMO.

The Predator is next on my list. Going to wait awhile though, till the wife cools down about me getting more mods. I'm sure the Predator will really give my car even more punch! Other than that, I don't plan on adding more. More in the far distant future I will do headers and high flow cats, but no reason for that now.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I went with the SRT8 airbox and tube which eliminates the resonator box on the 5.7 for more sound. The only thing you use off the 5.7 is the lid on the box because of the small hose location. I also put in the K&N drop in filter.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with the SRT8 airbox and tube which eliminates the resonator box on the 5.7 for more sound. The only thing you use off the 5.7 is the lid on the box because of the small hose location. I also put in the K&N drop in filter.
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to check the For Sale department here and see if anyone is willing to part with their SRT air box. Any fitment issues, or does it install easily?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Easy install just watch when you remove the sensor on the old tube there is a little locking tab you need to lift a little to twist the sensor out.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to check the For Sale department here and see if anyone is willing to part with their SRT air box. Any fitment issues, or does it install easily?

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I would bet that seat time contributes to this as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts