Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, actually, I drove two of them. Both of them R/Ts--one stick; one auto.

I drove the one with the stick first. All I can say is, wow! I heard they had some power, but I was surprised at how much get-up-and-go it had.

Then, I drove another one, but this one had the auto tranny. I'll say it again--wow! It had almost as much punch as the stick.

I'd probably be happy with either one, though I definitely prefer the stick. I can only imagine what the SRT8 is like!

Oh--I also test drove a Corvette convertible--now that's a fast car!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
It's not just the power, but the whole package. It is a big car with a very comfortable ride and ample trunk storage. And, it is a really good looking car! :D

For me, I don't need the fastest or best handling car out there. I just wanted a cool looking car with plenty of power and enough room to put my bicycle stuff in the trunk. The R/T gives me that and more.

I have had mine for over two years now. If I could go back in time, I would select the exact same car that I drive now. :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we're comparing a $35K Challenger to a $60K Vette.
It was a used one--2006. They were asking about $35k for it.

Without a trunk or a back seat..................:lol:
It has a trunk--you can fit an entire set of golf clubs in there! :)

It's not just the power, but the whole package. It is a big car with a very comfortable ride and ample trunk storage. And, it is a really good looking car! :D
Yes, I understand. I used to own two Thunderbirds ('95 Super Coupe 5-speed; '96 LX auto), and that's why I've been looking at the Challengers.

enough room to put my bicycle stuff in the trunk.
I also own a Dodge Ram, so having a big trunk in a car isn't a big concern for me. But I do like a nice, comfortable ride. I need to do some more research before I decide on what I'm finally going to get.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Reminds me of myself a couple months ago. Drove the Challenger, Camaro SS/RS, and a C6 Vette. The Challenger won because it was a lot more than just a hot car. It actually had a practical side, two bags of golf clubs would fit in the trunk, and if the wife and I decide to head south for 2-3 weeks, we can take one car instead of 2.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What I was meaning was you should compare Vipers to Vettes. They serve complete differant purposes in life.
Not so sure. Let's face it, if we only want a car to get from point a to point b, we could all drive Camry's and be happy.

We like Challengers, Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustang GT's because they are more than just people movers. They're all show and go, some maybe more than others.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Not so sure. Let's face it, if we only want a car to get from point a to point b, we could all drive Camry's and be happy.

We like Challengers, Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustang GT's because they are more than just people movers. They're all show and go, some maybe more than others.
I drove mustangs and Camaros and they are in a different league than Challengers. IMO they fit in the fast Jap crap league. They don't have any room . The reason I think the Viper and Vette are in the same league is to me their not anything you can make a daily driver or even practical transportation.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Drove a Challenger for the first time today
Two comments.

First, I went to a car show not long ago that was hosted by a Corvette club. Each of their club members had his hood up. Each one looked exactly the same. There doesn't seem to much in the way of under hood dress up for the vette or if there is, none of these guys used it. Changing out the front fascia for a sportier one seemed to be the favorite mod among them.

Second and most importantly, with the vette, you aren't going to have people walking up to you and telling you what a nice car you have. Very rare if it does occur. With the Challenger, it's a daily event. Stop to get gas, people comment. Stop at the store, people comment. Drive down the road, people gesture with a thumbs-up. Enough said.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mean to imply that the Corvette was better, or that I was seriously considering buying it. I just wanted to say I drove one--that's the first time I've ever driven a Corvette, let alone sit in one. Thrilling? Yes. Practical? No.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that the Corvette was better, or that I was seriously considering buying it. I just wanted to say I drove one--that's the first time I've ever driven a Corvette, let alone sit in one. Thrilling? Yes. Practical? No.
Some people on this site are a little touchy when it comes to the competition, some people are just touchy. It's a great site and lots of good people here. Thanks for posting your experience here. I would suggest driving an SRT in both the stick and auto as well. The more you drive these, the more pros and cons you'll find with each. And you'll figure out what's important to you.
The Auto R/T to me, just never seemed to know what gear it wanted to be in, that really discouraged me. In the SRT Auto, it didn't matter,(more power and torque I guess). The stick in both cars is just a lot of fun, period. Yea, some days I wish I could slap it in drive...but most of the time the 6spd is better for me. Just don't rush into one, take your time and keep driving them and buy the right car the first time. Enjoy the ride...:)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Apparently you have never owned a Corvette, i thought it was very funny when you stated "you aren't going to have people walking up to you and telling you what a nice car you have" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

True MOPAR guy there talking; funny thing is I'll get more compliments about my Chevy SSR and then the Z16Z06 than i do with the Challenger. I mean the Challenger is a very nice looking car, and I've had compliments on the R/T, but Come on man.. that's just too bias and FUNNY!!!!!!

I go to many car shows, car events and everyone always love the Z06

Two comments.

First, I went to a car show not long ago that was hosted by a Corvette club. Each of their club members had his hood up. Each one looked exactly the same. There doesn't seem to much in the way of under hood dress up for the vette or if there is, none of these guys used it. Changing out the front fascia for a sportier one seemed to be the favorite mod among them.

Second and most importantly, with the vette, you aren't going to have people walking up to you and telling you what a nice car you have. Very rare if it does occur. With the Challenger, it's a daily event. Stop to get gas, people comment. Stop at the store, people comment. Drive down the road, people gesture with a thumbs-up. Enough said.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Two comments.

Couldn't agree more

·
Registered
536 Posts
Apparently you have never owned a Corvette, i thought it was very funny when you stated "you aren't going to have people walking up to you and telling you what a nice car you have" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

True MOPAR guy there talking; funny thing is i get more compliments about my Chevy SSR and then the Z16Z06 than i do with the Challenger. I mean the Challenger is a very nice looking car and i've had compliments on the R/T but Common man.. that's just too bias and FUNNY!!!!!!

I go to many car shows, car events and everyone always love the Z06
My Uncle has a new Grand Sport and he often jokes with me that no one ever says anything about his Corvette, but when he rides around with me, my 20K SE gets all the attention. Of course his car is way better, and I'm
SURE everyone gets compliments on their Vettes from people...But where I'm coming from on this is that the Challenger is unique in that no other car looks like ours, and I think that is what the awe factor is.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'll say this, I've owned both a Vette and now the Challenger. The vette got some "nice car" comments, but NOT EVEN CLOSE to what I get in the challenger. People stop what theyre doing and just cant get over the car. Stopping at a gas station is always a 1/2 hour affair. I didnt pick this car for the comments, but its nice to talk to people who appreciate the car. My first choice in a car will always be the vette which I had to sell due to knocking my wife up:) The Challenger is a close second.

Nothing like a vette for speed at a 50 k price tag. Even less used. That ZR1 is NAS-TY but maybe when I pay the Challenger off and the price comes down a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
jford21
My Uncle has a new Grand Sport and he often jokes with me that no one ever says anything about his Corvette, but when he rides around with me, my 20K SE gets all the attention. Of course his car is way better, and I'm
SURE everyone gets compliments on their Vettes from people...But where I'm coming from on this is that the Challenger is unique in that no other car looks like ours, and I think that is what the awe factor is.

I KNOW the feeling.... I get all kinds of walk of life people coming up to me or giving me a thumbs up in my mid-line SE. 10 year olds, teenagers, 20 year olds, 30 year olds, 40....50....60.... male AND female... I have had two Mercedes SUV guys give me big compliments and a guy in a Maserati as well gave me a big smile and thumbs up as he drove past me.

Granted... it has to do with so few on the road... I get that... Corvettes are quite common and have been around 50 years too.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Its been awhile since I've owned a car that gets this much attention. I live in NM so the weather is usually decent here. I drive mine almost every day. So far 2-3 times a week I have someone pull up next to me and ask me to roll down my windows so they can compliment me on the car or ask about it. EVERY day I have someone who gives me the thumbs up, waves, or gestures their approval.

My boss has a Vette and we both park out in front of the plant we work at. We work right near a big park that has a "dog park" in it where folks go run theirs dogs and let them mingle with the other dogs. We have alot of slow moving traffic (speed limit 20MPH) going right past our plant. He mentioned to me that my Challenger gets all the attention that his Vette used to get. Honestly, I think its mostly because there are just no where near the numbers of vettemustangcamaro's that you see on a daily basis.

I've had mine for a few weeks now and still have a permanent smile plastered on my face. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts