Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the R/T off the lot today, proceeded straight to muffler shop to straight pipe it. Had the mufflers and resos deleted and OMG I have never heard such a beautiful machine. Extremely loud, aggressive, throaty, and very intimidating. I can't believe it would sound that good. Recommend this to any. Drone is not bad either, it's worse if you have flowmasters (previous challenger) I'm just exited and I wanted to share. I am so glad I did the swap!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Congrats! Is yours a 5 speed or a 6 speed?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I would love to hear your RT in person. I left the bottle mufflers and replaced the resos with Glass packs and its almost too loud. Can't imagine how yours sounds?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had done the same thing with my 2013!
Ordered the Blastin Bobs w/magnaflow glasspacks weeks before.

When I got to the shop were my son's friend worked, I told him what
I wanted done and I drove the car in. Up it went on the lift. ( I didn't
know at the time what to look for here, but luckily no damage )

He proceeded in a very professional manner (with me looking over his
shoulder ) to cut away the resonators and grind off the tips.
Measurements were spot-on and startup sounded great! I left with
a big smile on my face.

It was only much later that I found out that the poor guy was *terrified*
that I was asking him to cut up a brand spanking new car!
Thinking back I can see how he must have felt.

Don

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Which glasspacks?

I had done the same thing with my 2013!
Ordered the Blastin Bobs w/magnaflow glasspacks weeks before.
Tell us exactly which glasspacks you went with, as I understand there are several different ones.
Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine is a 5 speed, im not much of a manual type of guy.. I do get lazy haha! and mine sounds like a NASCAR vehicle, I can try to get a sound clip for you guys today and DA232, haha funny story man!

But today, my engine check light came on... I don't know why because I kept the Cats in. and then something funky went on while I was driving... I don't understand how this can be related to the straight pipe. removing muffler and reso is not a big change and shouldnt throw codes or have problems, any opinions? also why the hell is the redline limit in the RT so early compared to the V6??? Thanks you guy!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Mine is a 5 speed, im not much of a manual type of guy.. I do get lazy haha! and mine sounds like a NASCAR vehicle, I can try to get a sound clip for you guys today and DA232, haha funny story man!

But today, my engine check light came on... I don't know why because I kept the Cats in. and then something funky went on while I was driving... I don't understand how this can be related to the straight pipe. removing muffler and reso is not a big change and shouldnt throw codes or have problems, any opinions? also why the hell is the redline limit in the RT so early compared to the V6??? Thanks you guy!!

How does it sound when MDS kicks on? Get the codes from the dash and let see what it's beefing about. Did you delete the Rear O2's???

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does it sound when MDS kicks on? Get the codes from the dash and let see what it's beefing about. Did you delete the Rear O2's???
It sounds absolutely amazing and mean with the MDS. I peeled out at the light last night and these mustang guys were like "dude your car is so badass" haha.:browsmiley: I just put the diablo 93 octane tune to her now, a bit more pick up. I called my dealership, the reason why the car turned off after push to start was because of the safety feature of the engine light being on. So I cleared the engine light, if it comes back on ill get the code and diagnose the issue. but so far none. Now I gotta lower her, tint, hood pins, ext. bassicaly start all over again from my SXT lol

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
also why the hell is the redline limit in the RT so early compared to the V6??? Thanks you guy!!
One is a DOHC V6, the other is a pushrod V8. Two completely different animals. :) DOHC have to build more revs to make power, the V6's peak HP is at 6350 RPM.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it legal I your area to run without mufflers? I'd get a ticket in Hawaii and there's no way I'd pass our annual safety check.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
How can you get by the LEOs? In my area, you would be stopped immediately and ticketed for excessive noise. You also wouldn't pass state motor vehicle inspection.

I think a safer solution would have been exhaust cutouts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sounds absolutely amazing and mean with the MDS. I peeled out at the light last night and these mustang guys were like "dude your car is so badass" haha.:browsmiley: I just put the diablo 93 octane tune to her now, a bit more pick up. I called my dealership, the reason why the car turned off after push to start was because of the safety feature of the engine light being on. So I cleared the engine light, if it comes back on ill get the code and diagnose the issue. but so far none. Now I gotta lower her, tint, hood pins, ext. bassicaly start all over again from my SXT lol
That should be covered with the factory warranty unless the car is used, and all bets are off at that point. I am not sure if changing the exhaust voids the factory warranty. Voiding the factory warranty is reason enough for me to leave the car as stock.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
That should be covered with the factory warranty unless the car is used, and all bets are off at that point. I am not sure if changing the exhaust voids the factory warranty. Voiding the factory warranty is reason enough for me to leave the car as stock.
Replacing the factory cat-back with something else doesn't affect the factory warranty...unless the new exhaust were to damage a factory part, in which case the warranty isn't going to fix a problem caused by the new exhaust.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Is it legal I your area to run without mufflers? I'd get a ticket in Hawaii and there's no way I'd pass our annual safety check.
There are probably a grand total of 3 Harley Davidsons in the entire state of NC not running straight pipes.

Get a flock of those un-muffled things together and they will drown out a fuel rail... and they NEVER get ticketed.

Biker wannabees :puke:

Reactions: austindro

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One is a DOHC V6, the other is a pushrod V8. Two completely different animals. :) DOHC have to build more revs to make power, the V6's peak HP is at 6350 RPM.

oh ok, thank you bro! :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it is not illegal in texas to remove muffler and resonator, it is illegal though to remove cats. and in my local area we do not do smog testing... we just check if your blinkers work and windshield wiper haha.. and no because its not to loud when at a red light, more like a deep throaty rumble... I live in texas and cops don't mind too much about loud cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was so close to going with straight pipes but chickened out due to noise and attention from cops. I have an auto as well, does it roar? I have my middle muffler's deleted it sounds nice but no super loud like I want :(

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Aother negative, besides the noise issue, is a drop in hp. Hemis require some backpressure to run at their peak.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts