Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought this 68 383 magnum 4 sp in 1977 as a second car so my sisters and I would not ask to drive the family car. It had almost 70K miles, and was getting tired by 1970's standards. My sisters tattled on me for driving like Richard Petty on the way to school, blasting past the school bus they were on, showing off. Everyone in high school had late 60's or early 70's muscle cars that were cheap then as they were 10 yrs old and only a few thousand new.

My dad decided it was not a good idea for me or my 2 sisters to drive this as i was a lead foot and my sisters not so good with a 4 spd. So he decided to keep it for himself. He got a 440 at a junk yard and had it rebuilt and left the 383 badges on it. The friend who build the motor would take it to the 1/4 mile strip. If I recall correctly it would do high 13's with these tires on it. The 440 had a Mopar purple cam, Carter 3 bbl carb, and Doug Thorley headers. The dual exhaust would be unbolted, ran open when at the strip. My dad sold it when I went in the Navy after college. This is why I finally got a muscle car!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,996 Posts
They just has the right look "thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
I still have a soft spot in my heart for B-Bodies.... I drove a '69 Super Bee in High School.. Sold it for $1800 because gas hit $1.00 a gallon, figured I couldn't afford it any more.... Last one I had was a '69 Charger couple years ago, loved it... And it was definitely "cooler" than my Challenger, but the Charger couldn't hold a candle to my Challenger in terms of performance or reliability. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts