Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved my Hoosiers 10x29x17 Drag slicks. Had to get them on ASAP.
Decided to do a few hits on the street with the slicks, I was really supprised they would FRY through first and second, on the street. I was disapointed, BAD. I wanted to dead hook and they didnt.
I put on the 555Rs went to the exact spot and done a few hits. The 555Rs hook 5 times better than the Hoosier Slicks, On The Street.
I did this test back and fourth a couple times.
DRs are better on the street hands down.
Last fri went to the track, Slicks bolted on. Drs in truck bed. I heated the Hoosiers up, Staged, and WTF !!!! Dead Hooked, No spin. 1.6 60ft and down into the 11s wow. First time I really used my TC.
Put on the DRs 555r hit the water box, staged, and NO way they hold the car. Its ease into the throttle again. 12, 0 s Back to the slicks and 11s
As I see it, DRs on the street work better than slicks. Without a dought.
Hoosier Slicks work better than DRs on the track. Without a dought.
FlatTop
I would of never thought slicks wouldnt, hook on the street. They dont !

·
Registered
861 Posts
Slicks HAVE to be heated to really hook, thats what makes them stick, on top of track prepped surface being VERY different from the street.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ditto to BigBear. You can't just slap them on cold and think they'll bite. Slicks require you to (most of the time) use the water box to get them "slick", then burn the hell out of them to heat em' up... and as BigBear said, on a properly prepared track <------- KEY.

Even Drag Radials should be heated up, but you stay out of the water box.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same experience a few years back with my old pontiac. First time I'd run real slicks, i go down the road a bit and it's like driving on a slick track and I was pissed. At the strip however, after a light burnout, they hooked so good i busted a U joint right then and there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Like so may other things, there are way too many factors. Everyone has their own opinion it seems when it comes to heating tires. I will run the 555's on my challenger until i go big power someday.

A few years ago someone finally convinced me to try MT ET Street Radials on my duster as I was running slicks at the track and Et Streets on the street.

first pas the car picked up bigtime. I haven't run a slick since that day and my car goes low low 1.30 60's and in the cooler months it goes 1.29's quite a bit. Drag radials will work on the track bigtime. They also do require a burnout which means you need to be in the water. maybe not on 12 sec cars, but for sure if you are putting power down. Not a john force burnout, but a burnout none the less.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey dc, Drs are 305s on 20s I dont have as good of luck at the track with the Drs. I tryed many diffrent heat ranges, water, no water, I cannot flat mash the peddle on green. TC stalls and there up in smoke. Hoosier slicks, at track dead hook.
Slicks even after cooking them in water, on the street they didnt hook. I figured they would.
Ron I think my DRs dont work as well on the track beacuse i have 20s so no sidewall. Not as good as like the Drs M&H on 17 rims with side wall to help with shock.
Just kicking sh!t around is all.
Ft

·
Registered
251 Posts
Flat Top, great point. I keep forgetting about how different these are and yes, that little sidewall is a problem for sure. I am just about to put 555's on mine and I am staying with the 20", but I hope at my power level they will be fine as I am just looking for some mid 12's and I am good. For now!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts