Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just got to vent that this car is a PITA to dry after you wash it. I spent one hour washing it and about 2 hours drying it. All the little crevices and grills are a total pain to try and dry. And yes I did use the flood technique followed by two Absorbers then waffle-weave MF towel and other smaller MS towels for detailing.

Don't get me wrong it looks fantastic but god love a duck this is ridiculous. I am thinking I may invest in a leaf-blower or a high powered hair dryer :scatter:

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Okay so I just got to vent that this car is a PITA to dry after you wash it. I spent one hour washing it and about 2 hours drying it. All the little crevices and grills are a total pain to try and dry. And yes I did use the flood technique followed by two Absorbers then waffle-weave MF towel and other smaller MS towels for detailing.

Don't get me wrong it looks fantastic but god love a duck this is ridiculous. I am thinking I may invest in a leaf-blower or a high powered hair dryer :scatter:
Speaking from lots of experience in trying to get my car dry after washing, don't fool around with anything but the strongest gas powered leaf blower you can find. The electric ones just don't have the "blow" to get the job done. The commercial units will really make the job MUCH faster and easier. You'll be glad you did! Don't even think of using a hair dryer....total waste of time and effort.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
You really did't know that when you got it? I think Dodge was thinking about car show judges when they made it. It's easy to see who put the most work in before the show.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm laughing reading this as I just came in from drying my car in the fleeting light.

I'd like to know how the pros deal with:

Side mirrors (I do turn them down to assist getting water out during dry)
R/T hood vents aka water collectors
Front grill and light surround
Trunk lid + tail lights and so on back there :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use the Optimum No Rinse method. Works great. Still take me about 2 hours, but it used to take me over 3 hours in the driveway using a hose. I also use it as a detailer to remove the bugs off the front of the car. Or you can just spot wash any section you want. I can wash my car in the garage. I use the two bucket method, but if you wash it often then the one bucket method would be fine. No water spots either.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to dry my car:

Squeegee excess water off with Water Blade
Use high-powered dryer to blow water off wheels, roof strips, mirrors, door handles, fuel cap, grille, washer nozzles, around emblems and in crevices between body panels
Follow up with microfiber towels

The Water Blade and dryer save so much time, I can't imagine washing a car without them. I can wash and dry my car (and do it right) in 45 minutes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Water Blade and dryer save so much time, I can't imagine washing a car without them. I can wash and dry my car (and do it right) in 45 minutes.
You know, I bought a blade and used it for the first time a week ago and forgot to employ it this time. I will say however that to the untrained ear, it may have sounded as though I was killing seals or something from the sound. OMG the squealing from the blade. Still, it is very effective :thumbsup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not sure about you guys but I think it may take me maybe around 45 mins to dry. Not to sound weird but just being around my Challenger washing/drying it is like a get away for me or stress relief. I just grab a cigar and enjoy every minute with the car

·
Registered
607 Posts
Btw gas blowers would not be the best for a car. The gas and residue that comes off and through that blower is landing on your car. You might not be able to see it, but its there. And a gas/oil mixture doesnt bode well for clearcoat and car paint. If youre gonna go that route, get an electric. I need to get one of these water blades though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would never use a water blade. The risk of marring the paint is too great to me.

The ideal, but quite pricey, solution is a Metro Master Blaster. It has clean filtered air, hose that can precisely direct air flow, etc.

It is an electric blower (looks like a vacuum but just blows) with two speeds. It costs around $300 but you can usually get it cheaper using discounts. It is great for getting water out of crevices (nothing but a blower will do this), drying wheel areas in 10 seconds, and just drying the paint, etc but without TOUCHING the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I use a blade to get the bulk of the water off, then an absorber (Chamois) to finish it up. Takes about 20-30 mins max for me to dry.

If you keep your blade clean and your paint clean, marring won't happen. I've used 'em for years with no issues.

I do like the metro blaster idea, but $300 is too much IMHO. Where's the discounts at?

Mike

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've used a water blade for probably 10 years. Never had an issue with paint damage. I use it to get excess water off the roof, hood, and trunk. Also the glass. I don't try to get every drop of water off the car with it. There's a new one out now called the Jelly Blade, and I'm going to get one of those. I also have a Master Blaster. Yeah, for what they are, they're too pricey. But they sure do work.

·
Banned
675 Posts
After I wash, I hop on the highway for a few miles, come home and dry the rest with a micro fiber towel. Takes less than 30 mins an my car is black.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
A lot of good ideas here but I laugh when I hear people complain about detailing/drying this car. Compared to cars from the 60s, these new Challengers are just big clean areas of sheet metal with no trim for water to hide in or to have to polish separately! :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
A lot of good ideas here but I laugh when I hear people complain about detailing/drying this car. Compared to cars from the 60s, these new Challengers are just big clean areas of sheet metal with no trim for water to hide in or to have to polish separately! :)
Ah I remember my days in high school detailing my 57 Chevy Belair 2dr HT. I wish I would of had a leaf blower to dry my car back then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Takes me also about 30 mins total. After washing I hop in and drive down my stret about 3 blocks, turn around and come back. Put it in the garage and dry it off.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My electric wet/dry vac is also a portable 255mph leaf blower & drys the car quickly
....I have a Craftsman that is a vac with detachable blower as well and (from experience) it is more than powerful enough. Its definitely more powerful than my B&D dedicated electric leaf blower by comparison.

Compressed air is another alternative to blowing out crevices but it is much more "specific" IMO/IME. In other words, it would work well for getting water out of the mirrors but not for drying panels.

Personally, I use DI water and will flood "problem" areas during my final rinse of the vehicle. My blower is able to effectively evacuate these sections (front grille(s), chin/rear spoilers, vents, rear tail light, mirrors, etc.) as well as dry the rest of the panels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts