Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who want to know
My 2015 scat pack 6 spd my OEM DS was 31.4 lbs ( all hardware included) the DSS one piece aluminum 4” shaft is 25.4 lbs with all hardware included ,, it did not add any noise or vibration and yes I did need to make a small exhaust mod for clearance

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,556 Posts
Yup I am running the same driveshaft on my 2015 M6 RT and only have a slight vibration at triple digits. I am running corsa extreme and did not have to modify the mid mufflers at all. The shaft definitely makes the clutch and rear feel more connected. Too bad no one make a drive shaft loop for the manual that works with the 4 inch shaft.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m contemplating fabricating my own that will bolt in where the original DS center support bracket bolted on and then forward towards transmission

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
84 Posts
I always thought an aluminum DS should would be great but what do you get if putting on a stock car, added strength? Also, read something safety related going from 2 piece to 1 piece DS where you at least need a loop?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,556 Posts
I always thought an aluminum DS should would be great but what do you get if putting on a stock car, added strength? Also, read something safety related going from 2 piece to 1 piece DS where you at least need a loop?
The benefit for me was less drive line twist...with the manual trans my clutch feels like it is directly connected to the rear wheels. The difference is quite noticeable. I had a friend drive my car when it was stock and he drove it like a champ. He then drove it after I did the Barton, CDV delete, and driveshaft and he drove it like a chump...had a heck of a time getting out of 1st as he would either stall the car or cause it to buck like crazy. Took him several tries to get use to it but once he did he loved it.

The downside to a 1 piece is potential driveline noise/vibration at high speeds (+100 mph) and they have a lower critical speed ( https://www.driveshaftshop.com/driveshafts-101 ). It is a good idea to run a loop but my issue is I have a 4" shaft and no one makes it for that diameter and it seems most loops cater to automatic trans.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
84 Posts
Thanks for the comments and the link. I once had a 95 T-Bird with the 4.6 and got it up to 125 after I chipped it. Bad vibration above 100 and it was all stock. That’s when I started reading about 1 piece driveshafts but never did anything to the car. Haven’t had the Challenger past 90 yet... it’s winter in the Northeast.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,556 Posts
Well considering the stock DS uses CV joints front to back and the 1 piece only uses CV in the front and U-joint in the back...there is bound to be some vibration because of the U-joint. I had my car up to factory speed limit and there was slight vibration at those speeds with the 1 piece.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those who want to know
My 2015 scat pack 6 spd my OEM DS was 31.4 lbs ( all hardware included) the DSS one piece aluminum 4” shaft is 25.4 lbs with all hardware included ,, it did not add any noise or vibration and yes I did need to make a small exhaust mod for clearance
I am guessing for an 8 speed auto, the same exhaust modification would be needed for clearance? Curious if you can elaborate on what that small exhaust mod is for those curious about this upgrade and/or strongly considering it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to the rear of mid mufflers the 4” shaft had about 1/8” clearance from passenger side pipe, ( my exhaust had been modified prior to my purchase of car) I dropped exhaust after marking the spot I needed clearance in and broke out the map gas portable torch heated the pipe just behind the mid muffler and made a very small bend, then again just behind the spot I had marked put it back in place and the passenger side exhaust tip was a little wide so marked it on the last bend dropped it and put in one final bend to realign the rear hangers and tips to the correct spot about an hours worth of work but nothing difficult

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,556 Posts
FYI - On my 2015, I finally decided to put the corsa mid mufflers back on. I feared that they would hit the 4" shaft and require some hits with the hammer but they sit lower than the rear heat shield, so no fitment issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts