Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my DSS Level 5 axles the other day. I rented rack space at a local performance shop to make the install a bit easier and WOW I need one of those. It was nice to work on the car and not be sore from laying on concrete all afternoon.

The owner helped me with the install and the second set of hands (and eyes) made it that much easier. We talked about dropping the diff or going in through the hub and decided the hub was the easier way to go. It's literally like eight 18mm bolts, axle nut, and a 12mm allen bolt and the hub pops off and the axles come out.

I think the one thing that makes this easier is there is a thrust bushing at the bottom of the hub where the 12mm allen bolt goes through. This thrust bushing protrudes and makes it harder to get the hub back on the car. We used a brass drift to tap that bushing back a couple thousandths and the hub went on like butter. That allen bolt gets torqued to 102 ft/lbs so it pushes the bushing back in to place on re-install.

It took us about 2.5 hours with me shooting video and us stopping and goofing off on youtube looking at hot rods. I figure it'd take a bit longer on jack stands though.

Videos are now in HD :)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Excellent video Speedy thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Regarding 157 ft lbs on the axel nut, you mentioned it had a high rundown torque on the nut.

Did you add that to the 157 ft. lbs.? Rundown+157 ft. lbs. = actual torque?

Btw, very nice work.

·
Registered
585 Posts
"even a cave man could do it" good stuff

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding 157 ft lbs on the axel nut, you mentioned it had a high rundown torque on the nut.

Did you add that to the 157 ft. lbs.? Rundown+157 ft. lbs. = actual torque?

Btw, very nice work.
No. I ran the axle nut down and once it was snug used the torque wrench to set it to 157 ft/lbs.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might have under torqued the nut. I believe you need to add the rundown torque of the nut to the 157 ft. lbs.
The service manual makes no mention of anything like that. In any case that thing isn't going anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts