Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dual Layer Glass/ Tint Question

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Logres 
#1 ·
Anyone know if we have dual layer thermo impact glass on our Chally's?
Was planning to tint my ride with 3M FX PM Tint....til I read this....

ANY ONE thats planing on tinting the windows of their new 2011 chrysler needs to heed this warning!!!!!
The new glass on the chryslers [charger/300/durango/GC/and ram laramie] ARE DUAL LAYER THERMO/IMPACT GLASS.
The pros to this type of glass is to reduce road noise and reduced heat or cold in the cabin area for driver/passingers comfort.
IT's designed the same way as a front windshield = 2 layers of tempered glass with a layer of clear mylar sandwiched between.
THE other up side to this type of glass is security in a crash or if someone trys to break the glass to enter the car-the outer lay or both layers will crack like a windshield but will be held together by the mylar!!

NOW-heres the no no to tinting this type of glass.
#1 JUST LIKE IMPACT-SAFETY-HURRICANE glass for homes and commercial buildings there is a "very fine line" of what tint material that can be applied to it or the result will be over time build up of heat resulting in the glass either cracking OR delamination of the glass were the 2 layers start to pull away from them selfs at the edges and air and humidity will attack the mylar causing it to fog or turn milky white or yellow and in a short period of time will creep between the entire glass layers just like the 30's-50's GM cars glass did in the past in the corners of the glass from poor edge bonding.

SO the way around delaminated or cracked glass from over heat build up is from using a quality window film.
IT CAN NOT BE A POOR QUALITY FILM THAT ABSORB's HEAT LIKE ALL THAT $50-$100 JUNK PLASTIC TINT OUT THERE.

IT is mandatory that its a high quality mylar based window film [either metal-carbon or NANO HYBRID] that rejects the UV and heat unlike the poor quality films that trap heat and WILL over heat the glass breaking it for you from uneven heat transfer and absortion on a 90+ degree summer after noon.

BEWARNED-THE ONLY tint that can be used safely is either
#1 LLUMAR ATR OR CTX CARBON= average price of $200 for ATR or $300 for CTX carbon
#2 Huper optiks NANO carbon [owned by CPFilms-aka llumar] $350
#3 Formula One window films carbon also owned by llumar =$300
#4 3M Crystalline carbon film=$400
THE film installer as be a pro with a heat gun any were around this type of glass while heat forming the film to the shape of the glass.

THIS type of glass has been being used by mercedes on production cars since 2003
SO have lexus/porshe/audi/some fords/lamborghini/GM as standard or special option
IT's becoming commen on MOST ALL new cars-SO the tint job on your new dodge/chrysler can not be tinted by the local fly by night swap shop or corner gas station $59 tint shop.
LAST thing-this glass is expensive as in hundreds of dollars [$300] plus install for just one door glass.
NOT only is dual layer thermo/safety glass used on windshields and now side windows but is also being used on some vehicles rear windows like the MB CLS's and E350's -the caddy CTSV. Cheap tint will build up heat on the glass UNEVENLY and shatter the rear window OR CAUSE THE MYLAR layer to turn milky/foggy.
DUAL layer thermo rear windows with defrost and navi/tps antenna's inbeded in them can cost between $500-$700 or even as high as $2000 PLUS INSTALL if broken by a cheap customer and a dumb tinter with china/columbian film's

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Who would even think about putting crappy tint on their Challenger? Tinting is a big business here in Fl. I've tinted every car I've owned since the 80s. Called at least 6 tinting companies prior to selecting one to do my Challenger. Decided on SunTek window film installed by a professional. Even tinted my windshield (obviously with a much lighter tint) which does an incredible job protecting your dash/interior and heat resistance. These films are used on cars 10x the value of a challenger.
I saw this information before having my car tinted. No worries when using high quality tint and installed by a professional. Expect to pay $200-$350 for this. Well worth the price. Good tint lasts for years and years...

#8 ·
The issue is WHAT would you consider "high quality"?? I thought 3M FX Premium would be considered high quality...runs about $100 to cover all windows (except windshield). But then I see the article mentioning $300 tint.

#13 ·
The glass on the side windows are laminated like the windshield. The reason is, that with side air bags the bags use the extra strength of the laminated side glass for support when the side airbags blow. Almost all vehicles with side airbags have laminated side glass.
Hope this clears up the reason for the laminated side glass.

#17 · (Edited)
Did a search and found this link for your review Will Window Tinting Affect My Vehicle’s Electronics? Yodle Local Articles Hope this helps anyone interested.

Also read many forums with people who have used the metal tint on their vehicles. Could find one that said it had effected their electronics although as the article states, there is potential. Only thing I need to check now is to make sure the tire pressure monitoring sensor is reading properly.

#20 ·
Have used 3M Scotchtint for years, including on on vehicles with custom electronics, and such....no issues. *knock on wood*

My question, is where can I order windows (side and rear) with tinted mylar sandwiched in between?
I would love to keep the tint on my windows when, if ever, we take our cars back to Europe with us, but most European countries only allow FACTORY tint.
Doesn't have to be the car manufacturer, just part of the glass, from all I have read, and two conversations with Customs/Border Police in Germany, and one in Belgium.

Does anyone know where to try this? I have asked several places here in San Antonio, and tried some research online too, but no luck so far. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.