Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I posted a similar thread in the 392 sub-forum to get the opinions of the new 392IE owners, but I thought I'd post a second one here as well, in case any Furious Fuschia / aftermarket Katzkin white leather owners want to chime in. Hopefully the mods are okay with this.

After a few days of driving my 392IE, I've noticed some very ugly dye transfer from my jeans and jacket staining the white leather seats. Have any of you had luck with keeping white leather seats clean over a long period of time?

Ideally, it'd be nice if there were a way to clean the dye transfer off AND apply a protectant to make subsequent cleanings easier and less frequent -- but if someone could tell me what they do to successfully clean their white leather seats on a frequent basis, I'll be happy with just that.

I've heard people say "don't wear jeans" but that's not an option for me. I'm not much of a khakis guy and I hate dress pants, so... /shrug ;-)

Tips are much appreciated -- thanks in advance, guys!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
You might want to check with JonW. He had similar issues with the white seats in his PCP Challenger.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
all white leather had done this.. unless you sit on a towel or clean the seats daily they will turn blueish

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
One thing that helps is to wash newer jeans with white vinegar - it will help the dye set to the fabric and not transfer.

I had this happen with a passenger that had fairly new (black) denim that hadn't been washed very many times - had dye transfer on my off-white leather seats - cleaned up with a damp wash cloth and followed up with leather cleaner conditioner with no lasting effects.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
one of the "features" of white/light-colored leather seats that I never liked & why I always go with a dark-colored leather...IMO, I would use some type of seat cover if you want to keep them "like new" looking & still drive the car:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've used Magic Erasers dipped in a mild leather cleaner to remove ink from tan seats with great results. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My initial concern also with my FF SRT8 as
I'm a jeans wearer most of the time.
I sit on a towel most of the time -pain in the butt
but seat covers I've found just don't cut it.

I am passing on one wise warning given by a detailing professional:
NEVER use the heated seats when wearing a leather jacket!
The die will transfer and will you will NOT be able to get it out.

So despite the cold winter, heated seats aren't utilized unless I'm
wearing something that I'm confident won't transfer.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
even the ff at the dealer had stains in the seats...

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, getting a local leather restoration company to come clean the parts of the seat that are currently irrevocably stained (from factory/dealer testing and a new black jacket that I wore unwashed).

BUT! The more recent stains from my everyday (already washed) jeans came off with a little dish soap, water and a clean white rag -- no problem whatsoever. That part of the seat looks like new again.

I guess the seats are okay -- but you have to make sure not to wear clothing that hasn't already been through the wash a few times, and make sure not to let any stain sit there for too long.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, guys.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
White leather looks awesome, but that's the one reason why I will never own a car with white leather interior. If I had to worry each day about what I wore, and if it would stain the seats, I'd go crazy. I too wear jeans other than work, and couldn't deal with that.

Hope the tips work, because the seats and interior are awesome looking when clean. Just like a black car... look awesome when all dolled up, but I won't own one of those either. Just as hard to keep looking perfect.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
In 2000 I had a 97 30th Anniv Z28 that had the white leather interior and found out the hard way not to wear anything you haven't washed-ALOT. I had to clean those seats atleast every two weeks to keep them looking decent. And if daily drive a car with white leather, you might as well get used to the seats not being perfect. Most of the 30th anniv cars I know of that have 70k+ miles on them the seats just look like hell. So if you plan to keep a white leather car for the long haul and want to drive all the time you may want to invest in another set of seat covers for when the orginals get to the point cleaning doesn't cut it anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts