Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me or have a Dyno slip of an 09 R/T with K&N CAI, Predator 93 Oct CAI tune Stock Cats still installed ?

I'm just curious what the actual HP and Torq is with both installed

Thank you in advance for your posts
Taiko :bigthumb:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would be guessing in the 345rwhp range and 380rwtq with a 6 speed. Dyno tune it and it will make more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine dyno'd at 350 rwhp and 380 rwtq stock so I'd imagine it's more than that.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Stock the r/t dyons at 330 hp 354 ft/lb torque, with 93 tune and 93 octuane fuel with 0kr and a catch can, it dynos at 340 hp and 373 ft/lb torque.
So the real question then is how much does the K&N CAI add?

The only real way to konw is take your car to a dyno with a full tank of 93, have them custome tune it fully optimized to establish the base line, then add the cai, then re-optimize it.

CAI + Dyno Time = ~$800-$1,000 and maybe +0-6hp

I read somewhere a guy took a billfold full of $100.00 bills (figurativly speaking) to a dyno shop and did the testing. He found that stock intake vs wide open throttle body / 0 intake / 0 filter / 0 restriction = +7hp so the conclusion was if you could fit an intake with 0 restriction the max that can be freed up is 7hp, and therefore ANY intake / filter that has any restriction will result in less hp.

I have also seen a place where they spent a day putting different intakes on a 5.7L Charger, and got from -2hp to about +5, most 0 hp gains.

What the cai manufactures do is do mutiple dyno runs stock and with their intake. The final results that are posted is the worst run they go stock, and the best run they got with the cai, then the comparrison is huge.

There may be some cars that see +10 - +20hp gains with highly restrictive intakes, or forced induction, etc. but for our cars you arent going to see that much.

When speaking with DiabloSport in person they said once Dodge updated the 5.7L to make 372 hp (remember this LX platform was on the 300 and Charger first making 340hp) they changed the intake and the new intake for the 372 hp engine isnt restrictive enouhg to need hardly any tweaks to the a/f ratio for the CAI, where as the 340 hp one really needed it.

The 2005-2009 Mustang GT platform would throw a check engine light with a cai, thats because its stock intake was restrictive enough it needed custome tuning. Thats how they got hp gains for 2010, stock CAI and tune.

If you want to see hp gains DiabloSport tune, headers, cat back, then cai. In that order for hp / torque gains. True headers are a jiant pain to install and cai is easy, but power gians arent there with the intake swap.

Some have gone with the drop in filter swap because the typical intake is open to the engine heat and is really a HOT air intake, and the stock system isnt that poor and tries to get fresh air, so a high flowing filter in the stock intake could be as good or better than most after market intake systems.

Both Mopar and K&N make high flow drop in filters.

·
Registered
318 Posts
From my understanding a R/T 6 speed is generally dynoing 335rwhp and 365rwtq stock on a dynojet. I just don't believe in canned tunes unless they come from a tuner. You still can't just get the individual treatment the car needs of dyno tuning or datalogging. Thats why I dont believe it would put down no more than what I posted. If your car was stock and you put down 350rwhp either your car is a factory freak or the dyno is reading a tad high, not trying to slam you, I am sure the 11s put down a lil more power with the electric power steering I just dont see that much. He didnt say he had a catback, just would be using a cai and a cai 93 octane canned tune. I am no expert, but I pinged my car dead on when we based lined it. I said it would put down 340 and thats what she laid down. The only way to tell my english friend is find a dyno and lay it on the line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Stock the r/t dyons at 330 hp 354 ft/lb torque, with 93 tune and 93 octuane fuel with 0kr and a catch can, it dynos at 340 hp and 373 ft/lb torque.
So the real question then is how much does the K&N CAI add?

The only real way to konw is take your car to a dyno with a full tank of 93, have them custome tune it fully optimized to establish the base line, then add the cai, then re-optimize it.

CAI + Dyno Time = ~$800-$1,000 and maybe +0-6hp

I read somewhere a guy took a billfold full of $100.00 bills (figurativly speaking) to a dyno shop and did the testing. He found that stock intake vs wide open throttle body / 0 intake / 0 filter / 0 restriction = +7hp so the conclusion was if you could fit an intake with 0 restriction the max that can be freed up is 7hp, and therefore ANY intake / filter that has any restriction will result in less hp.

I have also seen a place where they spent a day putting different intakes on a 5.7L Charger, and got from -2hp to about +5, most 0 hp gains.

What the cai manufactures do is do mutiple dyno runs stock and with their intake. The final results that are posted is the worst run they go stock, and the best run they got with the cai, then the comparrison is huge.

There may be some cars that see +10 - +20hp gains with highly restrictive intakes, or forced induction, etc. but for our cars you arent going to see that much.

When speaking with DiabloSport in person they said once Dodge updated the 5.7L to make 372 hp (remember this LX platform was on the 300 and Charger first making 340hp) they changed the intake and the new intake for the 372 hp engine isnt restrictive enouhg to need hardly any tweaks to the a/f ratio for the CAI, where as the 340 hp one really needed it.

The 2005-2009 Mustang GT platform would throw a check engine light with a cai, thats because its stock intake was restrictive enough it needed custome tuning. Thats how they got hp gains for 2010, stock CAI and tune.

If you want to see hp gains DiabloSport tune, headers, cat back, then cai. In that order for hp / torque gains. True headers are a jiant pain to install and cai is easy, but power gians arent there with the intake swap.

Some have gone with the drop in filter swap because the typical intake is open to the engine heat and is really a HOT air intake, and the stock system isnt that poor and tries to get fresh air, so a high flowing filter in the stock intake could be as good or better than most after market intake systems.

Both Mopar and K&N make high flow drop in filters.
Yeah but how would the IAT sensor be able to calculate if the TB was wide open no tube or filter? I think that would be a up in the air situation.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Thats a verry good question. I should have though thought that allready. I would hope he somehow had it suspended in front of the intake, but Im not sure.

I know in open loup it doesnt look at the oxygen sensor, maybe it doesnt rely as much on the IAT.

My car dynoed 330 hp stock + Catch can with 0kr

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I tested intake, exhaust, and intake + exhaust on my R/T. Intake was about 5HP, exhaust was about 8HP. Net was 12HP with both.

This was back to back dynos, same day, same dyno, all that and the parts were swapped on the dyno. Video and all that is on my website.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Thats awesome. Did you change any tuning dirring the runs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.