Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Well I just did the dyno run on my 2010 5.7 Mopar 10. (Red stripe Auto)
Overall I thought wasn't to bad but then I see other numbers and are Mmmmmm, not sure now.
Car is stock apart from cat back exhaust.

First pull in 4th 320hp @ 5019rpm 350.9 torque @ 4330rpm Car hit speed limiter (at least we think so) so wouldn't pull above that.
Second pull (sorry no print out so approx figures) Pull done in 3rd 339hp at aprox 5500 rpm. Seemed better.

So, base line set. Thought not to bad.
Then did the diablo 91 tune. Took limiters off for speed so shouldn't have any issues with speed limiters etc.
Diablo 91 tune result was worse all the way through. Top hp was 319 can't remember torque.
So went back to standard tune re did the run to reset all baselines (were we doing something wrong?)
Same result as first.
Second run did Diablo 93 tune.
Torque and HP curve sat below the standard tune by a fraction all the way until we hit peak rpm (remember no speed limiter on 93 tune).
At peak we got 327 hp in 4th @ 5308rpm and 355.7 torque @ 4441 rpm.

So basically the diablo tune made no difference. (we believe we would have received similar numbers with out the speed limiter on.

The afr was very low on all runs at around 10.75. (don't know why?)
So we know there is room for improvement however I was expecting a bit better result with the can tunes as advertised.
Looks like I will be using it to reset shift points and re set fan temps but that's about it.

Was I being over optimistic?
Has anyone else had this similar result with the caned tunes or did you get way better results.
All I have read about them said they were great and good for decent hp gains.
Feedback is welcomed.

Also fuel economy on my trips just cruising is around 450 - 460 miles on a completely full tank (so you can see the fuel at the top of the filler).
Similar/worse?
Just looking for feedback opinions and tips.

I will be going with long tube headers and non cats soon so hope to see a good performance gain with these.

Happy Crusin

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
AFR of 10.75 is way too rich....

Leaning that out closer to about 12.8 will yield much better numbers, and you car will perform better.

This is why I'm leery of the "canned tunes"..
They essentially just add some fuel, timing, spark advance, all generic and adjust some shift timing etc..

You are correct in your statement that you will be using it for shift points & fan settings..

These canned tunes really don't "add" or unleash any hidden power to your car.
As shown they just enhance the driving performance feel, with their in house "one size fits all" modifications.

If you're serious about your car's performance, you need a full custom dyno tune where ALL parameters including AFR can be adjusted based on your cars modifications.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You need to pay attention to the entire graphs. You may not gain much horsepower at the end of the pull rather then along the curve. Diablo will advertise say 15+ hp and 20+ tq. This doesn't mean anything to total results. More along seeing the difference throughout the power band.

Look into a custom tune. Canned tunes are not the greatest and not set up for your car and specific mods. Will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I did look at the entire graph (which was disappointing).
As said was down on standard tune all the way until the end on the 93 where it peaked higher and I think this is due to higher revs (no speed limit on the canned tune) and slightly more advance at those revs.
So basically I didn't see any real gains at all until the very end.
I will be doing the custom tune once I get the headers on it. Just have to sort out the best long tube headers to buy.

Thanks again
Happy Cruzin

·
Registered
535 Posts
Surprised you can just dump a tune & just dyno it. Its taken a few miles before my custom tune has settled down.

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response and feedback.
Information is dataloged unfortunately I don't have access to this at the moment but have analysed it along with the tuner. There is definitely room for improvement in a lot of areas as shown by analyzing this.
The tuner is very experienced and tunes some of the fastest cars in this part of the Island so I don't have any worries or concerns re his ability, qualifications etc.

There was definitely no knock going on anywhere. I am lucky enough to be in a area where we can have 98 octane gas at the pump and yes it is and yes it is good stuff.
Cats heated up? No. All runs were done with a good cool down period before and after so I can rule that out.

Onto poor dyno result.
Im not sure if I explained it well enough so I will go through it again.
The car was originally dynoed with the standard tune for the Mopar 10.
This is the tune the first run was done on. No previous or other tunes were installed prior to this.
This run was completed and as said the car hit the speed limiter in 4th gear stopping it revving past 5100rpm. At those revs it registered 320rwhp.
We then ran a comparison run on the standard tune in 3rd and got a result of 339rwhp @ just over 5500rpm.
Next run was done with the intune CAI 91, rev speed limiter off in 4th. Result, 319rwhp at just over 5500rpm
Graphs were near identical as to the standard tune with a slightly below the original all the way through until peak hp which came later but was lower.
We then reset back to base to recheck all parameters and decided to to do another base run.
Same result as the first in all areas.
We then ran the CAI 93 tune with speed limiter once again off.
Result, similar to the 91 tune, slightly below in most areas to the factory base tune with the main exception of peak horse power being higher due to ability to rev higher. Overall gain on 93 tune 7hp and 5.5 torque.
AFR on all tunes was very similar.
I know the AFR is very low. I know this can be tuned out and will give me greater gains.

So, either my factory tune has been messed with from the factory (which I doubt) or something else is at play here.
I'm not knocking the product, I'm looking for help or answers and impute from others who have had similar experience.
What else can I do with my hand held tuner to get the results?
I wont now have access to the dyno for a few months but as below I will be doing real track time comparisons soon so that should show something.

The car was returned to factory tune as this gave the overall best result from the dyno runs.
It will remain this way at the moment.
It has not been tuned or run on the street with a can tune in place.

In the near future I am going to be installing 180 thermostat.
I will also be hiring out the local track so I can do some track tune comparisons with the same tunes as as we are all aware dyno's and real life road/track results can vary.
However I was interested to see that in my case it did not return the net gains as advertised and if I hadn't had the use of the dyno I would not have been able to analyse the results as they were happening.
I have access to some equipment that gives me the information I will need and will post a follow up when this has been done.
Due to it being winter here it may be a month or two away. Have to wait for the right sunny day to do it.
I will be trying different settings etc and posting my feedback on my impressions as I try these out.
these will include is there a actual difference to road feel when the tune is installed and in competition does it equate to real gains in the 1/4.

If it does take a few miles for a tune to settle down that's all and good.
Not aware of that but hey I'm willing to learn. All other tunes I have seen have shown pretty much instant results but as said, I'm willing to learn if these tunes work differently.

Thanks again for your feedback

Happy Cruzin.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Hi, first off in case your not aware, in the US the octane number is MON (Motor Octane Number) over here (NZ) we (they) use RON (Research Octane Number), what does this mean; in a nutshell the US they get what it says it is where as we get a calculated number to make it look better. Bottom line our BP & Mobil 98 RON = approx. 92.5 MON so keep using that 98.
A couple of other things; your RPMs as you know were not high which will affect your max HP number, also all dyno's are not created equally, Dynojet dyno's will read higher than Mustang dyno's (10 - 15% I believe), I don't know which you are using but just something to bear in mind.
A canned tune WILL be a bit conservative, the wont sell any if they wreck every ones engine. What in my experience they will do is offer better drivability, a better fuel map (not so in your example?) and better mid range power (fatter TQ curve). This is my experience and may not be the same for every one.
If you go with LT headers and cat less you will require a new (custom?) tune.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Although I didn't dyno my 2014 R/T, as I mentioned in another thread, I went back to the stock tune. The power wasn't there. It felt slower and according to my 0-60 times (not a perfect measure, I know), it was slower with both the 91 and 93 tunes. I have the Mopar CAI and corsa extreme cat back. Thank you for verifying what my right foot told me. I guess the usefulness of the tuner will come if/when I decide to get a custom tune.

Sigh....

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
You also need to remember that your environment greatly affects everything...ie the stock tune was done here in the US, they are very general tunes (I assume created in Florida) where things like temperature, humidity level, etc GREATLY affect the outcome...so they tune to very general settings. You are in New Zealand...which I have NO CLUE what the environmental settings are...but this could also have a huge effect on your outcome. A custom tune SHOULD ALWAYS be better than a stock tune because its based not only on your car, but also the settings are taylored to your specific environment...

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the feedback and input.
To answer some of the further questions/statements.

Yes I am very aware of the difference in octane rating/measures (US vs NZ) which is why the first canned tuned tried was completed on the 91 CAI tune). NZ 98 is still equivalent to the 93 plus US rating as verified so I can rule that out as a issue and as result also rules out as fuel being a issue for no gains (worse result on 91 tune).
I am also very aware of different dyno's and the fact they can vary from make, environment location etc.
This however is going off the topic and does not need to be factored into the results as explained below.
I am going to try and copy the graph to post however I don't know how successful this will be as I don't have access to a scanner.

So I feel the need to re clarify.

The results showed near identical results in all areas with the 91 tune being lower at top end by 1hp even though it was at higher rpm. (Unfortunately I don't have that graph) and the 93 tune being slightly higher at top end due to speed limit being disabled.
AFR was near identical on all tunes.

There were no real gains recorded in any areas.The graph shows very similar results in both standard and caned tune

Regardless of top end results (even if it was only a 150hp motor that was being tested) and regardless of the type of dyno used, there should have been some changes to the results as it was all done on the same day, same dyno etc. with cool down periods between each run.
It is not as if these dyno runs were completed on different days and dyno's.
There were no other modifications completed or done other than the uploading and down loading of the tunes (stock, 91 CAI, 93 CAI). The only other parameter changed was the speed limit was increased from 140 to 180 (not that the car would reach that speed).
I am aware the AFR is effecting the result and having a custom tune will net me far greater results in all areas.
That's not the point.
I would have expected to see the canned tune modify the afr from the factory setting but this does not seemed to have happened.
What would cause that? Is my tune corrupt? Did I not down load it properly?
Have others had this issue?

So, the questions remain.

Was I being over optimistic?
Has anyone else had this similar result with the caned tunes or did you get way better results?
From the result of some posts it appears they have. Both no improvement or worse result as seen from this thread or as seen from other threads others have had good gains.

All I have read about them said they were great and good for decent hp gains. Have I done something wrong that I may not be aware of to not get any real change.

I am not putting down the tune or what others have had as results.
I am sharing my experience with the tune and the fact that I have not had any gains, have the dyno result to back it up and are looking to see if I am alone in this area or if others have had the same issue or if there was something I missed.

Ultimately I would be hoping after the headers and a custom tune, to get the results I have seen that others have gotten with their RT's of closer to 375-400 RWHP but it appears my car cant even get of the baseline of 320hp factory despite having a factory CAI and cat back exhaust (I know the cat back doesn't really net any hp gains) with a canned tune but the CAI should have.
So I'm trying to find out why.

Feedback is welcomed.

Thanks again

Happy Cruzin

·
Registered
610 Posts
I for once HAD LIFE CHANGING RESULTS.. with the canned tuned diablo and also after Mike did wonders with my baby !!! :D the car was day and night.. the throttle response on this cars is horrible.. the power felt great and i also played with the shift firmness. whats your 1/4 mile ET?

Reactions: nzmonsterman

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think a new download would be a good idea. Anything is possible. I know on my smartphone I would download a custom rom and most of the time i was fine but I had a couple instances where the dl was bad. There r ways to verify the dl but just to rule it out I would try dl again and reload.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The canned tunes are nice, but a custom tune is way better

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Everyone,

Nice car Locko and thanks for sharing.
I have not yet managed to do any 1/4 mile runs with my car as yet.
I am hoping to hire a track and do some runs and measurements with the G-Tech meter until I can get to the next drag meet (Its winter here so that's a way off yet).

Hi Big Dodge. yes I was thinking of running the updates again and seeing if it makes a difference. I will try the current tune and downloads at the track to see if there are real world differences just in case. It wouldn't be the first time I have experienced this. If there are no differences I will re do the updates and try again.

Hi Landjet, Yes I agree a custom tune will be better. Was just hoping until I had the Lt headers I could get some gains with the caned tune.
Time will tell.

Thanks again for all help and feedback.

Happy Crusin

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Everyone,

I have posted a copy of the dyno sheet in my album. Let me know if you can access this and hopefully this may help.
DiabloMike I hope this can give you some insight.
As said, Im happy for feedback and to learn.
End of the day I'm looking for improvements and enhancements.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have posted a copy of the dyno sheet in my album. Let me know if you can access this and hopefully this may help.
DiabloMike I hope this can give you some insight.
As said, Im happy for feedback and to learn.
End of the day I'm looking for improvements and enhancements.

Thanks again,
Get an email tune from Johan at diablo sport. It will make all the difference in the world on how the car performs. My 2012 challenger SRT-8 went from 12.6 in the 1/4 mile to 12.30. Thats a life time when racing.

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Brandy,

Thanks for this.
Can you please advise how I do that?

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi nzmonsterman, just curious if you got a email tune with Johan and if so, what were the results?

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi RT Randy,
I have contacted Johan by email and have forwarded him the dyno print out.
He has asked for the logs that were taken so I am trying to source these.
Unfortunately the tuner dropped his laptop so is trying to get the laptop fixed and hopefully retrieve the data.
I will keep you posted and appreciate the help.
As said, all help welcomed.

I have just completed the 180 thermostat change so have used the i-tune to reset the fans so at least I have some use so far from it. :)

1 - 20 of 134 Posts