Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just got back from getting a custom dyno tune with a few minor bolt ons. Before I was 326WHP and 350WTQ in a 2015 5.7 Challenger automatic. Now after a JLT intake, 87mm ported TB, Borla cat back, JBA shorties, and the custom dyno tune itself I got..... 326 WHP and 350WTQ with a SLIGHTLY better power band. I was told this was due to heat soak and cause its 80 something degrees outside while the base line was taken at 60 something degrees. It was taken on a mustang dyno. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Im not really after a specific power level especially with the few mods i've done but I thought I would have gotten a little more then a very slightly better power band.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The throttle body does nothing. The cat back does nothing. The intake does nothing. Those ported stock throttle bodies have been proven worthless time and again. The intake and exhaust really only help sound, they don’t free up much.
The shorties should help a little bit going from the stock 5.7 log style manifolds. That’s probably the better powerband you are seeing but because they are not longtube headers, they really do not help the top end so you aren’t seeing higher numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Hard to squeeze out more power from these engines without dropping some appreciable coin. If you want power on demand...NOS. Otherwise, long tube headers are good for +25hp gain but you are looking at ~$1600 (if you install yourself) with high flow cats. More power can be had if you upgrade to the 6.4 cam (best bang for your buck but requires valve spring upgrade) and get a 6.4 intake (there is a way to make SRV functional). If you want serious power bump then going FI is really the only other option and the kits will run you +$7000. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
A sticky would do no good as there people that continue to believe a catback, CAI, bigger throttle body, aftermarket coil packs...ect will add noticeable power. Kinda like there are people who still think the earth is flat, the moon landing is a conspiracy and Elvis is not dead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The throttle body does nothing. The cat back does nothing. The intake does nothing. Those ported stock throttle bodies have been proven worthless time and again. The intake and exhaust really only help sound, they don’t free up much.
The shorties should help a little bit going from the stock 5.7 log style manifolds. That’s probably the better powerband you are seeing but because they are not longtube headers, they really do not help the top end so you aren’t seeing higher numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know none of them do a lot, like I said not really trying to build a race car, it's seen more shows then it has track days and I have to daily it. But I was hoping for a little something, 25, hell 10 would have made me estatic. The Tuner tried telling me that if I come back when it's the same temp as the baseline was I could see almost 350WHP from he estimated but that seems like a pretty big amount to be taken by heat soak. Again I don't know I'm not an expert and can only go off what I've been told.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
604 Posts
A sticky would do no good as there people that continue to believe a catback, CAI, bigger throttle body, aftermarket coil packs...ect will add noticeable power. Kinda like there are people who still think the earth is flat, the moon landing is a conspiracy and Elvis is not dead.
Well said.....

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wait one minute, are you telling me Elvis is actually dead??:oops:

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Tuner tried telling me that if I come back when it's the same temp as the baseline was I could see almost 350WHP
I guess the only way to know for sure is to go back when cooler temps prevail. I would have thought the tune itself would have added a little bit.
More importantly than the numbers though - how does the car feel/drive? Ultimately that’s all that matters. I’ve heard the reduced torque management done with the tunes makes the car more fun to drive even if it doesn’t affect peak HP.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah I know none of them do a lot, like I said not really trying to build a race car, it's seen more shows then it has track days and I have to daily it. But I was hoping for a little something, 25, hell 10 would have made me estatic. The Tuner tried telling me that if I come back when it's the same temp as the baseline was I could see almost 350WHP from he estimated but that seems like a pretty big amount to be taken by heat soak. Again I don't know I'm not an expert and can only go off what I've been told.
Your tuner is right. 350 RWHP is about what you will see with those mods. I had similar mods and was right around the 350 RWHP mark.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well just got back from getting a custom dyno tune with a few minor bolt ons. Before I was 326WHP and 350WTQ in a 2015 5.7 Challenger automatic. Now after a JLT intake, 87mm ported TB, Borla cat back, JBA shorties, and the custom dyno tune itself I got..... 326 WHP and 350WTQ with a SLIGHTLY better power band. I was told this was due to heat soak and cause its 80 something degrees outside while the base line was taken at 60 something degrees. It was taken on a mustang dyno. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Im not really after a specific power level especially with the few mods i've done but I thought I would have gotten a little more then a very slightly better power band.
Ported throttle body doesn't do anything with stock displacement. They shine with stoker kits or boost. I recommend a 180 thermostat they dont make more power but you make power longer due to the fact that they help fight heat soak. The 180 t stat is also probably the cheapest "performance" mod you can do too

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
Does it FEEL faster?

A Guy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts