Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the car on the "heartbreaker" mustang dyno at tunetime today...

AFR was very fat at 10.5 with the water/meth spraying. Running 14-15ish degrees of timing. Seeing about 8.5psi.
Peak numbers- 624whp 685wtq
Average numbers- 525whp 595wtq

For reference, a stock 5.0 coyote put down 340whp, a stock c7 stingray put down 375whp, and a stock Chevy/Holden SS put down around 335whp. 93°F ambient

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,810 Posts
Very nice, especially that torque curve…it’s flat enough to serve dinner on!

Reactions: Loopy and FreddyG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ran the car on the "heartbreaker" mustang dyno at tunetime today... View attachment 1023887

AFR was very fat at 10.5 with the water/meth spraying. Running 14-15ish degrees of timing. Seeing about 8.5psi.

For reference, a stock 5.0 coyote put down 340whp, a stock c7 stingray put down 375whp, and a stock Chevy/Holden SS put down around 335whp. 93°F ambient
I've been thinking more and more about Maggie, Was wondering how long you have had it, is it your daily or a weekend driver ? It looks like by your signature you are on a stock bottom end except for a cam. Any info would be great

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Damn impressive. Enough said.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,475 Posts
Ran the car on the "heartbreaker" mustang dyno at tunetime today... View attachment 1023887

Congratulations on those numbers, especially on a loaded dyno and running that fat! That's Impressive and I'll bet that she's going to be ALOT of fun on the road! That's not a ton of timing either for that amount of power, which is a good thing. What fuel were you running in that BEAST of yours when you dynoed her? Which meth system are you using?

Do they have the capability of running a quarter mile simulation on that Mustang? If so, I Highly recommend doing it. They had that when I dynoed my old C5 Corvette and it was pretty close to what it actually ran at the track (it ran 10.40's @131 on the dyno and 10.52 @132 at the track). MPH at the track is a better indicator of horsepower than a dyno is, but the fact that they were that close showed me that the dyno wasn't a Happy one but just well adjusted! :)

Once again JD40, Congratulations on a job Well Done and those numbers! (y)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mustang Dyno's are load bearing, DynoJets are not.
With a stock 5.7L 375hp rated crank HP a Dyno jet read me at 366RWHP. With a 15% drive line loss it should have been about 316.
Plus or minus a few for no two motors are the same.
My next pull a year later on a Mustang was 318hp. So heart breaker? No.

But either are good for measuring gains after mods and long as the use the same dyno before and after. What ever is more convenient location.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been thinking more and more about Maggie, Was wondering how long you have had it, is it your daily or a weekend driver ? It looks like by your signature you are on a stock bottom end except for a cam. Any info would be great
I've had it on since August last year, it's my daily. Stock bottom end with 392 cam, long tubes, and the blower on 8-9ish psi with water meth injection. Edged out a stock huracan and consistently ran a few mph faster than a C8 vette. I will say if I had an 8spd my car would have been much faster at this event. The 3rd to 4th gear split is a little big.
Oh and my biggest issue on the track was heat, 90°ambient and 2000ft elevation. The DA was around 4400. The water meth doesn't really help IATs much, it is meant to cool the combustion chamber and it did so very well, I turned it up to 17° timing and had no knock even with 120-130°IATs.

Congratulations on those numbers, especially on a loaded dyno and running that fat! That's Impressive and I'll bet that she's going to be ALOT of fun on the road! That's not a ton of timing either for that amount of power, which is a good thing. What fuel were you running in that BEAST of yours when you dynoed her? Which meth system are you using?

Do they have the capability of running a quarter mile simulation on that Mustang? If so, I Highly recommend doing it. They had that when I dynoed my old C5 Corvette and it was pretty close to what it actually ran at the track (it ran 10.40's @131 on the dyno and 10.52 @132 at the track). MPH at the track is a better indicator of horsepower than a dyno is, but the fact that they were that close showed me that the dyno wasn't a Happy one but just well adjusted! :)

Once again JD40, Congratulations on a job Well Done and those numbers! (y)
Wawa 93 octane and snow meth stage 1 kit. Used a gallon of washer fluid I also got at Wawa mixed with 1 bottle of heet as my water meth(~40%meth/60%water with #4 w/m jet). Didn't get to do a 1/4 simulation but as stated above it ran with some very fast cars at the pocono roll race event. I'm actually trying to keep it off the drag strip until I can upgrade the drivetrain. Thank you!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,475 Posts
Wawa 93 octane and snow meth stage 1 kit. Used a gallon of washer fluid I also got at Wawa mixed with 1 bottle of heet as my water meth(~40%meth/60%water with #4 w/m jet). Didn't get to do a 1/4 simulation but as stated above it ran with some very fast cars at the pocono roll race event. I'm actually trying to keep it off the drag strip until I can upgrade the drivetrain. Thank you!
You're Welcome and Thanks for the update/info too. It sounds like you've got a good, working setup going there. (y)

Have you ever thought of an E85 tune (providing that you have access to some corn juice (E85)? Is your tune meth dependent or just for IAT purposes?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're Welcome and Thanks for the update/info too. It sounds like you've got a good, working setup going there. (y)

Have you ever thought of an E85 tune (providing that you have access to some corn juice (E85)? Is your tune meth dependent or just for IAT purposes?
Only when I was running at the track it was meth dependent, I thought about Ethanol but theres two places to get it here in Nj, Newark airport or atco. Also my injectors and pump could only handle up to around E30, which I am thinking about doing in the future to add on top of meth. With E30 and meth I'll have no problem hitting the max power level on the current setup. Next thing for power is probably gonna be a 3.1" pulley if I can source a custom one.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,212 Posts

Nice!!!! I think you just sold me on the Meth setup...

I really like the power curve out of that 6.4 cam. It has amazed me how much life that puts into the 5.7.

Are you running the stock TB?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice!!!! I think you just sold me on the Meth setup...

I really like the power curve out of that 6.4 cam. It has amazed me how much life that puts into the 5.7.

Are you running the stock TB?
Yea stock TB. Meth kit was a super easy install, the hardest part was finding somewhere to mount the pump.

Here's where I have mine, i ended up moving it about a 1/2" higher and that's the highest it can go with the frame piece in the way. It's low but not a worry as it will never be hit and you need it lower than the tank.

Here's where I tapped into the stock windshield washer fluid reservoir. Don't use that elbow fitting it won't seal, you have to use one of the straight fittings.

And here is where I mounted the spray indicator light. I love how that came out, very clean.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,212 Posts
Yea stock TB. Meth kit was a super easy install, the hardest part was finding somewhere to mount the pump. View attachment 1024067
Here's where I have mine, i ended up moving it about a 1/2" higher and that's the highest it can go with the frame piece in the way. It's low but not a worry as it will never be hit and you need it lower than the tank.
View attachment 1024069
Here's where I tapped into the stock windshield washer fluid reservoir. Don't use that elbow fitting it won't seal, you have to use one of the straight fittings.
View attachment 1024070
And here is where I mounted the spray indicator light. I love how that came out, very clean.
I like the setup... Nice job!

I was looking at the Snow Stage 1 as well. The only thing that keeps me on the fence is going to the 6.4. Almost pulled the trigger on the bigger TB the setup for Meth just last week, but then starting thinking about just holding off on it all for the 6.4 swap. One more season with the 5.7 so I'll probably hold, but this is tempting me.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the setup... Nice job!

I was looking at the Snow Stage 1 as well. The only thing that keeps me on the fence is going to the 6.4. Almost pulled the trigger on the bigger TB the setup for Meth just last week, but then starting thinking about just holding off on it all for the 6.4 swap. One more season with the 5.7 so I'll probably hold, but this is tempting me.
It definitely saved me a ton of money on race gas at the track, it'll pay for itself by the next track day

Reactions: McCloud

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
It definitely saved me a ton of money on race gas at the track, it'll pay for itself by the next track day
One last question... I think the last question.. ;) ... was it hard to get the tune dialed in?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One last question... I think the last question.. ;) ... was it hard to get the tune dialed in?
Not at all. Here at sealevel I left fuel alone and just added a little bit of timing, small enough so if I ran out of meth or something it wouldn't blow my motor. When I was at pocono the DA was 5000 so the AFR was hitting a 10.00. Mostly due to 130°IATs, I reduced the IAT fuel richening factor a little bit, and commanded slightly leaner in PE. I like to shoot for 10.6-11.1 AFR with water/meth. You don't want the typical 11.4-11.7 with methanol, because like ethanol, the stoich is much richer for meth. 6.5:1 for meth, E85 is ~10:1, E10 gas is 14.1:1.
17° timing and a steady 10.9 AFR was enough for me to take a huracan on a hot lap

Reactions: doc440 and McCloud

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,475 Posts
Not at all. Here at sealevel I left fuel alone and just added a little bit of timing, small enough so if I ran out of meth or something it wouldn't blow my motor. When I was at pocono the DA was 5000 so the AFR was hitting a 10.00. Mostly due to 130°IATs, I reduced the IAT fuel richening factor a little bit, and commanded slightly leaner in PE. I like to shoot for 10.6-11.1 AFR with water/meth. You don't want the typical 11.4-11.7 with methanol, because like ethanol, the stoich is much richer for meth. 6.5:1 for meth, E85 is ~10:1, E10 gas is 14.1:1.
17° timing and a steady 10.9 AFR was enough for me to take a huracan on a hot lap
That's Impressive because those Huracan's are No joke!

The way that I tuned with the meth was that when the IAT's hit a certain temp, it would pull a set amount of timing. This was done for the same reason that you said, in that if either the pump went bad or I ran out of meth, it wouldn't hurt the motor. I think that you're Smart to keep your targeted AFR at 11:1 because that's safe enough to keep things Cool and Running in peak form without leaving too much on the table.

Is the Snow setup based off of a MAP sensor or how is it triggered to spray? I've read good things about the Snow Boost Juice too. Have you ever tried that before?

I'm just curious because I ran straight VP Racing meth in mine but if I had to do it again, I'd probably try the Boost Juice because it's supposedly almost as good as straight meth without having the negatives (won't catch on fire or burn like straight meth does. The downside to straight meth is that it burns Very hot and is almost invisible when it does burn).

Thanks for the information JD40! (y)

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's Impressive because those Huracan's are No joke!

The way that I tuned with the meth was that when the IAT's hit a certain temp, it would pull a set amount of timing. This was done for the same reason that you said, in that if either the pump went bad or I ran out of meth, it wouldn't hurt the motor. I think that you're Smart to keep your targeted AFR at 11:1 because that's safe enough to keep things Cool and Running in peak form without leaving too much on the table.

Is the Snow setup based off of a MAP sensor or how is it triggered to spray? I've read good things about the Snow Boost Juice too. Have you ever tried that before?

I'm just curious because I ran straight VP Racing meth in mine but if I had to do it again, I'd probably try the Boost Juice because it's supposedly almost as good as straight meth without having the negatives (won't catch on fire or burn like straight meth does. The downside to straight meth is that it burns Very hot and is almost invisible when it does burn).

Thanks for the information JD40! (y)
Yea the car does pull timing with hot IATs, all the N/A cars are set to start pulling timing around 120°s and the hellcats closer to 140°. I chose to set when the car pulls timing to 130° because it was 90° at the track but I knew the combustion temps were cool with the water/meth and fat AFR.

Its connected to a boost tap on the blower and you adjust a little Allen screw to when it starts to spray for the stage 1 kit, the rest of the kits operate similarly but come with better controllers or gauges to ramp in the meth. For any posi displacement cars you don't need anything above stage 1.

For now I've been running just washer fluid and sometimes mixing in a bottle of HEET. Boost juice is overpriced imo, I'd rather get a gallon of washer fluid and 2 bottles of HEET for $5 for 1.2 gallons than pay $10 for 1 gallon of Boost juice. Even buying M1 methanol and distilled water is cheaper at about $4-5 a gallon for 50/50.

Meth cools IATs better than water. Water cools combustion temps better than meth. I like 40%meth/60% water for the octane boost, and the combustion cooling.

Reactions: doc440 and FreddyG

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Some more dyno graphs for you guys, my brothers 2010 Auto 5.7
Mods- Texas Speed Stg3 Boost Cam
Stainless Power long tubes
Tuned on 93, with 15% load on dyno (close to mustang dyno numbers)
Tuned by Savage speed and tuning(my brother)

Reactions: Pioneer4x4
1 - 19 of 19 Posts