Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recommendations on where to get my car dyno'd in the Portland Metro area?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Dings Automotive in Vancouver. Troy Ding is THE Mopar guru in the area.

·
Super Moderator
14,822 Posts
Jacob - I used VIP Performance they're on NE Sacramento St - you get three dyno runs for the price.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jacob - I used VIP Performance they're on NE Sacramento St - you get three dyno runs for the price.
Nope. Ricers only. They are not tuning Challengers.

·
Super Moderator
14,822 Posts
If you're looking at tuning, Ding's would be the closest - I thought you were looking to run on the dyno - no mention about tuning. Alex Osheim (he was in the clubs in years past) has a brother than runs a shop over near Oregon City - they had tuning experience on various cars.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's right. I remember Aliksander. I'm going to get a few dyno runs in, and I'm wondering if the shop can look at the dyno graph and determine if the tune is good enough, or if there are any major blips that can be adjusted. So ideally i would go to a shop that could both run the dyno, and if adjustments are warranted, also do the dyno tune. I'll look into troy's shop and also reach out to Aliksander.

Along those lines (dyno run and review for possible dyno tune) I've done some reading about dyno tuning, and email tuning with data logging. What I've come to understand is that dyno tuning is great, but that data logging on the street is also important because of the difference in strain that the real world conditions place on the engine, and to mitigate the risk of running too lean. Additionally, dynotuning requires wideband O2 sensors and controller (more $$). Does the dynotune make that much of a difference to justify the additional cost for both the hardware and service? I have a hemifever tune (without problems) which will need to be updated once I put on high flow cats, and mostly street drive with yearly road course HPDE. No drag racing. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,820 Posts
I could be wrong, but my understanding is with dyno tuning you get data, change tune, run again, changes, etc. This is almost the same as logging and email tunes, but in a much compacted time frame. The dyno is also measuring hp and torque directly. I assume an email tune is looking at parameters, and what usually equates to best hp and torque?

Once the tune is settled on, I'm sure logging and seeing if "real world" needs some tweaks is also a good idea. Doesn't logging and email tunes also require the wideband?

A Guy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, a narrowband o2 sensor (stock) is all you need for an email tune. I am trying to learn more about it. My understanding (from what I've read) is that tuning on a dyno through a wideband you are able to see the A/F ratio at different values, whereas data logging with a narrowband O2 you are only able to see if you are rich or lean or right on 14.7(?).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,820 Posts
I've copied this to the tuning section as well as it's not so much a regional issue now. You should get more informed replies there

A Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts