Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Got a random question for today: Does anybody know what the dB(a) of their exhaust is with the dynomax bullets (24250) installed where the stock mids are? I got mine installed, they sound great, and do have a bit more bark on start up. So much so that my neighbor is complaining. I live in CA where the limit is 95 dB at ~3000 RPM. Granted the only thing the neighbor ever hears is a cold start bark, never revving nor high RPM.

Any insight on dB levels with any aftermarket exhaust is helpful for comparison sake. Just trying to get my ducks in a row as he has gone to the HOA already. I actually can not get it tested at a state facility without first being cited a ticket...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the Mini Race Bullets on mine, pretty loud on cold start. Don't know what the Decibel level is though. My next door neighbor asked me one time, "is that your car I hear in the morning that sounds like an explosion"? I said yes it is. I live in a neighborhood without any HOA, so they are just gonna have to live with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MiHiHemi - thanks for the suggestion! I ended up downloading the app and unlocking the A-weight sound measurement. Like Canative said, the cold start is pretty loud. Other than that, its really not too crazy.

I ended up testing the vehicle after it had been run for about 60 seconds. After 60 seconds (had to move the car), I shut the car down and used the app on my phone. I set the phone ~20-24 inches away from the left exhaust tip, on the ground.

-Few things to note: this was done in a residential neighborhood in the Bay Area around 4:00 PM with traffic not too far off. Also, I understand the iPhone can only be so accurate, as opposed to professional dB readers.

Upon start, the max dB was 98.1. It averaged out to 95.3 dB, with a low dB of 92.7.

Now had this been a true cold start, I'd wager the initial bark would break 100 dB. For the sake of CA law, 95 dB is the limit however the car can be warmed up but must be revved to at least 3k rpm. Just some food for thought for those living in CA that may ever have any run ins with the law or at least a neighbor without the same V8 sound appreciation.

Attachments

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That App looks pretty decent. I wonder how far away from the car CA (or HOA) requires the measurements be taken. Looks like you're right on the fringe :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
If the HOA tries to do anything point out that they are not the police and can not enforce vehicle code violations that may or may not exist.
Even most police officers do not have training in what is or isn't a noise violation, if they claim to be ask them about the SAE certification testing process and see if they know it without having to go look it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts