Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just bought functional hood scoops for my 2013 Blacktop R/T. Now that they're shipping (and because I'm dumbass enough to only notice then), I see that they're "2009-2011 hood scoops". I'm assuming that there hasn't been enough of a change in hood style for this to matter. Am I right in assuming so?

Secondly, confirming that my Challenger's hood scoops were plugged dummies and ordering the functional replacements got me thinking: what was the upside of this for Dodge? Discussion here implies there's no downside to functional scoops, but more to the point, functional v. non-functional hood scoops has never been played up to my knowledge as a big sales point differentiation between the SRT and the RT and SXT. The structural element of the hood is the same across the models. So basically Dodge had to engineer, produce, stock, etc. a separate part--the plugged fake scoop vent--to delete a feature with no discernible downside that they never particularly played up on the nondeleted car. Doesn't that seem like effort and expense--minimal perhaps, but still effort and expense--with literally zero return?

JAM

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2014 and to the best of my knowledge the hood bezels are all the same and I also have always thought it odd Dodge would design and manufacture two different parts for the same location, especially since the hood is the same across all trim levels. The functional scoops are listed with some models and trim levels as a feature (R/T Classic and up?).

First off, I just bought functional hood scoops for my 2013 Blacktop R/T. Now that they're shipping (and because I'm dumbass enough to only notice then), I see that they're "2009-2011 hood scoops". I'm assuming that there hasn't been enough of a change in hood style for this to matter. Am I right in assuming so?

Secondly, confirming that my Challenger's hood scoops were plugged dummies and ordering the functional replacements got me thinking: what was the upside of this for Dodge? Discussion here implies there's no downside to functional scoops, but more to the point, functional v. non-functional hood scoops has never been played up to my knowledge as a big sales point differentiation between the SRT and the RT and SXT. The structural element of the hood is the same across the models. So basically Dodge had to engineer, produce, stock, etc. a separate part--the plugged fake scoop vent--to delete a feature with no discernible downside that they never particularly played up on the nondeleted car. Doesn't that seem like effort and expense--minimal perhaps, but still effort and expense--with literally zero return?

JAM

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
One upside of functional scoops is letting heat out of the engine compartment after you turn the car off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One upside of functional scoops is letting heat out of the engine compartment after you turn the car off.
Sure, I get that. Keeping engine compartment temperature down isa no-brainer. The question is, why design and fabricate, along with all the stocking/inventory grief, a part that takes that away? Especially if you're not going to make a big deal out of it either way, and most people won't recognize the difference in any event.

JAM

·
Registered
876 Posts
Because aftermarket money? Because iconic looks? Heat dissipation?

MSRP on functional scoops is what .. $75-85 plus shipping when it applies? Cost to manufacture the plugs/tubes is probably a small fraction of that and likely results in a HUGE profit margin.

For me, it's hard to picture any Challenger w/out some sort of hood scoop on it. And while it may be a matter of semantics, there's a little added swagger in saying "functional hood scoops" instead of "functional heat release vents" or "No, they're just plugs.". Even on a V6. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement that air INTAKE through functional scoops is about as close to nil as you can get across all models due to the aerodynamic design features. Reducing engine bay heat seems to be where its at when it comes to these scoops. Without setting up thermometers and charting numbers (some have done this. threads and videos are out there. a drop in 5-7 deg F was logged in one experiment IIRC), I'd have to think that putting functional vents on a stock Pentastar would provide negligible heat dissipation. Still, lower temps = lower temps and I like to say I do notice a drop of a tick or two on my gauge since in put them in. On the bigger engines the effect is probably, maybe, more noticeable. Again, lower = lower. Functional scoops are standard equipment on 392's, right?

Are they NECESSARY? Well ... no. But it sure is cool to say they work. :bandit:

Sure, I get that. Keeping engine compartment temperature down isa no-brainer. The question is, why design and fabricate, along with all the stocking/inventory grief, a part that takes that away? Especially if you're not going to make a big deal out of it either way, and most people won't recognize the difference in any event.

JAM

·
Registered
675 Posts
MSRP on functional scoops is what .. $75-85 plus shipping when it applies? Cost to manufacture the plugs/tubes is probably a small fraction of that and likely results in a HUGE profit margin.

$$$$$$ CA CHING $$$$$ and the winner is...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Not only do they save a bunch of money producing a one piece plastic part vs a two piece plastic/rubber part that someone has to assemble, but they also save money during production by simply snaping in a blank with the hood closed vs threading the duct through the hood. Granted it's not a great deal of time but over the total number of cars it saves money. That's how auto manufacturers get burned on saving $2 on an ignition switch for example. It saves millions over the entire production run.

·
Registered
541 Posts
And saving a dollar or two at the factory has proven to costs much more than that in the long run. Interesting how Toyota supposedly had a stuck gas pedal (even though I think it was not true) and the US fined them out the wazoo where as Chevrolet has now had multiple recalls and you barely hear a peep about it. I think it was the US way of slowing down sales of Toyota and getting some money out of them. Penalizing Chevy does squat since it is owned mainly by we taxpayers so fining them is like writing a check to yourself. As much as we all hate Fiat at least they own enough stock to call the shots and get us our musclecars.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I guess the same goes for the engine compartment light (usually mounted under the hood) - this is the first car I've owned that doesn't have one! :notallthere:

Reactions: 3 peddles

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
It was much like that for the '09 - '10 cars.

Non-SRT models had hood prop rods (another part needed for build and riveting to the radiator upper support) vs. the gas assist struts.

For '11+, all trim levels have the gas struts. One less deviation in how they're built.

2nd part - the hood scoops are the same for the '08-'14 hoods, so they interchange among the years.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

JAM
I installed them in my 2014 so they will definitely fit your 2013.

go to speedysgarage.net for nice "how too install" them safely and easily.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
How about, that its only in recent year models that they actually installed a cabin filter ! The space is built into the firewall and they never added a box with a filter ! talk about being cheap on a 30 -40 thousand dollar car.

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
How about, that its only in recent year models that they actually installed a cabin filter ! The space is built into the firewall and they never added a box with a filter ! talk about being cheap on a 30 -40 thousand dollar car.
And the same plenum assembly is common with the 300...I replaced mine ['09 model] with the cabin filter version so I'd have that feature.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I guess the same goes for the engine compartment light (usually mounted under the hood) - this is the first car I've owned that doesn't have one! :notallthere:
They know it's wasted money because 99.99% of people these days will call roadside assist when they break down especially at night and they won't even bother opening the hood!!! Most won't even know how to open the hood!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.