Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't post here enough; only when something goes wrong, it seems :D

Here's the skinny;
-2011 R/T, fresh back from a road trip to swelteringly beautiful Guadalupe Natl. Park, TX
-Got the check engine light shortly before filling up about four weeks ago, EVAP pin-hole leak code P0456
-Started smelling strong gas vapors inside upon filling up thereafter
-Had the gas cap checked, no issue (looks fine, too)
-Gas smell went away at about 1/2 tank (about a week later)
-Ripped up the back seat, saw the driver side 'manhole' cover over the gas tank had popped up; popped it down
-Immediately the light went off on its own accord as the tank emptied to 1/2. I know this makes no real sense (I figured I had jimmied a cracked hose or something so it closed up again)

Went about my business for another week, then filled up once more (I have a short commute :D). Light comes on immediately, and this morning upon opening my garage, I was at fear of an explosion the stink was so bad. I looked quickly for leaking gas, and saw nothing. After a day at the grindstone, I come out to drive home, smelling gas a good 50ft away (farther than the crappy FOB can unlock the doors :icon_rolleyes:) and find a 12" puddle of gas in front of my right rear tire, dripping every second or so. Hot Texas day, so that 12" puddle could have been a gallon for all I know.

Trying to save myself some jacking around (becuz the jack points suck and its a hassle) I had the goober in Kwik Kar take a look from underneath, and was told the skid plate makes it a real bear to get to through the narrow bay opening. Translation: quittin' time. Fair enough. Not like they'd be of any real help anyway ;)

So... tomorrow's job is gonna be finding the leak (if the car hasn't burned up by then ;)). I understand the infamous EVAP canister is on that side, so I'll start my search there. Does anybody with experience down under have any suggestions for other stuff I should check on? Knowing corporate design optimization, I expect the entire EVAP system to dissolve simultaneously, so it could well be more than one thing. Or it could just be a clogged vent line causing fluid to go where vapor should be.

Oh yeah, and the rocker panels are all cracked, too (all four corners). I hadn't bothered checking after the third set was replaced under warranty, so it's not like I'm surprised they're gone a year later. I swear, Dodge spends more money on those things... Also, I'm pretty sure any environmental gains the EVAP system might have made for my Earth mother were just wiped out and then some.

TCB

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It would appear the fuel pump gasket is the culprit; pooled up gas in the waffle grid atop the pump under the seat. Odd that it's on the passenger side, since everything I read said the pump was behind the driver.

Fun part; take it to a local dealer, and they tell me it will take 3 days to examine something in front of them (I've removed the seat bottom and I pulled off the cover in the lot for them). But, they are 100% sure the whole dam fuel tank needs replacement because the seal seat is warped --all this without a visual inspection. Apparently they've done two tanks on Challengers, which is funny because I hadn't read of anyone doing this online. As expensive as it'd be, you figure people would mention it.

Anyway, my guess is it's a load of BS, and the tank/pump gasket is what's bad. Can that part be bought alone, or is it integral to the pump 'just because?' Anyone heard of a warped tank? Can the pump or seal be replaced by a goober like myself, or is a lift & shop required?

TCB

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a hold of a replacement O-ring, and seeing for myself how both large and squishy it is, I find it incomprehensible the tank could be so warped as to cause a leak without an incredibly obvious distortion. In any case, I got the ring changed out (surprisingly easy to do, btw; kudos on this particular facet of design, Dodge) and... nothing's changed. Oh well, it was worth trying a 15$ O-ring before more drastic service.

After getting my safety inspection sticker (no, I did not mention the gas leak :D), I filled up with gas in an effort to induce a leak so as to identify the culprit. Gas immediately pooled atop the pump as before, the wettest areas appearing to be right around the outflow tube/nipple on the top of the pump. So now I'm wondering if it might be the quick connect (the fuel leak is slow enough that it is a seep rather than a drip, so it's hard to tell exactly where it is)

I find it odd that the various sensors in the fuel delivery system are not flagging the leak, as opposed to the EVAP ones. They must be more sensitive is all I can guess, because it is a very small leak, but gasoline is a very runny fluid.

So, if it is the fuel line quick-connect as I now suspect, my guess is its replacement requires the entire fuel line since it appears to be molded into the hard-plastic line itself, and would require heat to remove/replace, which I'd prefer not to do over a tank of gas ;). Incredibly obnoxious we can't replace something that would be the most likely point of failure in the fuel line, but whatever. I suppose it's up to the dealer, now...*sigh*

TCB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to this? My car has nearly the exact same problem. Have had the smell of gas for a few weeks, coundnt find a leak though. Check engine light came on with something like "small Evap leak" and I cleared it with my tunner about a week ago.Today there was a 12" puddle of gas when I came up to my car. It sat over the weekend in a parking lot and drained about a 1/4 tank. Looked underneath the car to find the leak (in front of the passenger rear tire), and just saw the cover over the gas lines. That is where the leak was coming from and it was like ever second or so when there was a drip. Pretty scary. The weird part is....I drove it 3 or so miles (stupid) and when I came back, the leak was gone. On Thursday I'm gunna give it a shot and remove the cover (wish me luck) to see if I can trace it. Hopefully (I think) it's just a bad hose and I can replace it. Any advice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts