Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was advised to use this product to deal with brake dust on my forgeline wheels. I read the instructions, wheels were not warm, applied to all 4 wheels and immediately sprayed it off. There is a milky white residue caked to the painted areas of the spokes that I cant remove. I tried spraying more product on 1 wheel and scrubbing and rinsing immediately, light rubbing compound and it's still there. The store I purchased the cleaner from doesn't have a clue how to remove it. I am just sick about this, I just bought the car 3 weeks ago. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
Wow! Glad you posted this as a warning to others. I would suggest you contact the manufacturer immediately and advise them of the problem and ask what they'd suggest.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
The Eagle One "Wheel And Tire Cleaner" works great for the brake dust

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do not use aluminum cleaner on clear coated wheels. it will destroy the finish.
You are correct, unfortunately the advertisement on the bottle states
" Specially formulated for all aluminum wheels, polished, anodized or clear coated"
To repaint would be a nightmare. The bevel on all the spokes and all the bolts around the perimeter are polished, the rest is black.
I emailed the manufacturer I'm hoping he has a solution, I tried this product to deal with brake dust, I was better off using soap and water.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I tried this product to deal with brake dust, I was better off using soap and water.
So right you are.

That stuff is the best chrome peeling, wheel stripping product on the market. If you have some dog ugly wheels that you don't care about, that product is the bomb. If you actually like your wheels, don't use it at all.

For the OP, the problem that you have is that your wheels are painted. If they were just polished, I could have you get a Mother's Powerball and some Adam's Metal Cleaner 1 & 2. Since they are painted, you are going to need a combination of stuff. Answer me this: is the white milky substance on the painted part of the wheels AND the polished part too?

By the way, the best way to deal with brake dust has nothing to do with cleaners, it has everything to do with the brake pads themselves. My secret? Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads. Zero dust and they stop my Corvette on a dime. Change your pads and the brake dust disappears.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Everything I'm reading about this product on their website says its for polished aluminum or anodized wheels. If the bottle actually says clearcoated aluminum as well, it sounds like a conflict.

Here are the instructions on their website:

1. Spray wash on wheel.
  2. Agitate with a soft brush.
  3. Let set for about 30 seconds.
  4. Hose off.
For Best Results:

1. Make sure wheel is cool before cleaning; heat accelerates the chemical reaction, which can damage your wheel.
  2. Use mild agitation: lightly brush the surface with a paintbrush to help break the bond.
  3. Use strong spray pattern when hosing off the wheel in order to remove all the product.
Personally, I've never used the product myself and have found a simple car wash solution (with agitation) adequate on regularly maintained wheels. In those situations when I have had to use a cleaner, I usually just use an APC like Meguiars APC+ or for a stronger alternative, something like Eagle One A2Z.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It comes in 3 different flavors. There's the chrome wheel version, the polished aluminum version and a 3rd, which escapes me right now on how it's worded.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It comes in 3 different flavors. There's the chrome wheel version, the polished aluminum version and a 3rd, which escapes me right now on how it's worded.
Aluminum wheel cleaner must be the third because that's exactally what my bottle says.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So right you are.

That stuff is the best chrome peeling, wheel stripping product on the market. If you have some dog ugly wheels that you don't care about, that product is the bomb. If you actually like your wheels, don't use it at all.

See I wish they'd put that on the bottle

For the OP, the problem that you have is that your wheels are painted. If they were just polished, I could have you get a Mother's Powerball and some Adam's Metal Cleaner 1 & 2. Since they are painted, you are going to need a combination of stuff. Answer me this: is the white milky substance on the painted part of the wheels AND the polished part too?

The only part that is polished is a small bevel about 1/4" wide around the spokes and it is fine. The rest is flat black and it looks terrible

By the way, the best way to deal with brake dust has nothing to do with cleaners, it has everything to do with the brake pads themselves. My secret? Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads. Zero dust and they stop my Corvette on a dime. Change your pads and the brake dust disappears.
I really wasn't having a problem either, I kept them clean, I just got the car and several people told me there would be a problem with brake dust and that I needed to do something to prevent it. This product was recommended by the store I purchased it in.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pic of one of my wheels after using eagle one Aluminum wheel cleaner

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Aren't forgeline wheels 3 piece wheels? If so you can take them apart and paint that way if thats your last resort. If not a good autobody should be able to paint them without taking them apart.

I use car shampoo for my wheels as they are painted and clear coated as well

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you're right. You haven't answered my question though.

Was your question regarding the location of the residue?
if so the polished parts are fine. if not what was your question?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Okay, then you're in luck, but you will need some elbow grease. You are going to have to polish those wheels by hand. Are you familiar with Adam's Polishes and how to do paint correction?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
the four versions according to their website are:

>> Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
>> A2Z™ All Wheel & Tire Cleaner
>> Mag Cleaner
>> Chrome & Wire Wheel Cleaner

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Okay, then you're in luck, but you will need some elbow grease. You are going to have to polish those wheels by hand. Are you familiar with Adam's Polishes and how to do paint correction?
....the portion that is etched/stained is flat black. I think he should be aware that while a "polish" (provided the damage is superficial) might be successful in cutting through the damaged layer to reveal a virgin surface beneath these stains, it might also impart a sheen to the new finish. It really depends though. .....on the other hand, at this point it may be a compromise I would be willing to make if I were in the same boat.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont mind the elbow grease, but I am clueless about Adams polishes and paint correction. There is a detail shop and an excellent auto body and paint shop in the complex where I work. Would either of these be able to get what I need to fix this without repainting?
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....the portion that is etched/stained is flat black. I think he should be aware that while a "polish" (provided the damage is superficial) might be successful in cutting through the damaged layer to reveal a virgin surface beneath these stains, it might also impart a sheen to the new finish. It really depends though. .....on the other hand, at this point it may be a compromise I would be willing to make if I were in the same boat.
I tried a small section with light scratch remover. The store that sold me the eagle one let me try whatever I wanted, but unfortunately it didn't work. What about rubbing compound?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts