Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new to the MOPAR world. I am building a 5.7 out of a 07 Magnum. It will be bored and stroked of course. Just so I can start planning on heads I want to know which should I use? what will bolt on? If the apache heads can bolt on, will the 5.7 intake work or do I need to use a 6.4 intake. If I have to use the 6.4 intake will the fuel rails and such fit that intake? I may be undertaking to much with this. Or even overthinking this entirely. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
So your 07 Magnum 5.7 is the pre-Eagle Headed 5.7. This block has lots of advantages IMO, over the VVT Post 08 5.7's. For starters the cam selections are far more plentiful. As for the Apache heads, vs Eagle Heads, vs original equipped heads. All of them will bolt up. The problem with trying to use the Apache heads, are the location of the valves. It will require a custom piston, with valve releafs cut into them. Additionally I'm not sure that the combustion chambers will line up, as the bore spacing on the 392's is much greater ( 4.06-inch bore) than that of the 5.7 (3.917-inch bore). The 5.7 block isn't safe enough to be bored that large, so the Apache head is not a choice for your build. You best bets are to go with the Eagle head, or 6.1 Heads. Both of these options can use the 5.7 eagle intake, 6.1 & or 6.4 intake. To my knowledge the injectors can be used from any of the intakes. You will need to do some custom tuning depending on the injectors intake and cam you go with, but this is to be expected when building a Gen III Hemi. I don't think you were over thinking anything, just asking questions. That is what this place is supposed to be about. There is a lot more information on the Gen III Hemi's today than 10 yrs ago. They've have a long production run now, and a lot has been done on the tuning side of the house which has been the major problem with the engines. Do some searches on this site and the web. Ask question, lots of folks are make great reliable power using these platforms. Hope this response helps you out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts