Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So I felt like getting in behind the lower grille during last weekend's cleaning, and I came up with a means of making subsequent (not the initial) lower grille removals a little easier. The modification I'll describe is to a 2016 R/T, however I imagine that the lower grille on most models and years are similar.

The lower grille is fastened to the front end with eight screws; four in the top and four in the bottom. The top four are accessible from outside the car and are easy to remove, however the lower four are not. My modification basically entails replacing the lower four screws with heavy duty outdoor velcro tape pieces. The top four screws hold the grille in securely, and the lower four velcro tape pieces seem to be more than capable of keeping the grille locked in and unable to move or rattle, yet easy to pop out when the top four screws are removed. 100 miles on the car since the modification, and no problems yet; will post if anything comes up.

Of course the caveat here is that this only helps for subsequent removals, you still have to get at the lower four screws once to get the lower grille out in the first place. I did this a few months back by drilling four holes into the bottom of the chin spoiler so that I could get a screwdriver into the four lower screws. This provided some easier access, but still necessitates lifting the car up on jackstands or ramps and temporary removal of other screws in the chin spoiler to replace the lower grille screws, so I'm quite happy with the velcro modification.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two-week follow up: No problems so far. Modified lower attachment is holding strong, and I was able to clean that interior space again when I detailed the car this weekend. Now that its easier to get to, I'm giving it more attention.

Preston

·
Registered
500 Posts
any pics? this would also give access to most of the condensor/radiator to clean that

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
There is another posting on here about adding a tow hook for road racing. He provided this pic showing the tools and parts disassembled.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any pics? this would also give access to most of the condensor/radiator to clean that
Thanks for your interest man. I'll get a photograph tomorrow morning before I head off for work.

Preston

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now with photos!

Attachment 1 shows the view of the radiator with the lower grille removed. Two of the four velcro contact squares can be seen at the bottom edge of the grille perimeter.

Attachment 2 shows the corresponding velcro contact squares on the bottom of the lower grille itself.

Preston

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts