Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I recently bought a 2014 Challenger sxt that seems to dent VERY easily. Actually, every time I take it back to the dealer for something. It has 3000 miles on it and has had problems with the sunroof, recall on the alternator, passenger window button not working, trim above door loose, and now small dents that seem to come out of nowhere. I've seen there were issues with vehicles coming out of the Brampton, Ontario plant in 2012 . . . mine was manufactured there at the end of 2013. Does anyone else have this problem or know of problems from this plant?

Donna

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
The dents described in the "Mysterious Dents" thread occurred mostly on the roof. The most likely cause was traced down to too much adhesive being applied between the outer sheet metal and the inner support which caused the dents when the panels expanded/contracted with temp change. As for the other body panels, get used to it. I'm on my fourth current production Challenger (also had a 1974 back in the '70s) and I have a paintless dent repair guy on speed dial. The sheet metal on these cars is nutty thin and if you sneeze near it, it will dent. That's my biggest gripe with these cars. If you look down the bodyline at the quarter panels just ahead of the wheels, the doors below the mirrors and the fenders above the wheels, you'll notice quite a bit of stress ripple in the sheet metal from production too.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The dents described in the "Mysterious Dents" thread occurred mostly on the roof. The most likely cause was traced down to too much adhesive being applied between the outer sheet metal and the inner support which caused the dents when the panels expanded/contracted with temp change. As for the other body panels, get used to it. I'm on my fourth current production Challenger (also had a 1974 back in the '70s) and I have a paintless dent repair guy on speed dial. The sheet metal on these cars is nutty thin and if you sneeze near it, it will dent. That's my biggest gripe with these cars. If you look down the bodyline at the quarter panels just ahead of the wheels, the doors below the mirrors and the fenders above the wheels, you'll notice quite a bit of stress ripple in the sheet metal from production too.
Yes, agreed on the ripple thing, obviously a casting flaw in the stamping die, I believe all these panels have it but the angle of the light has to be just exactly right to see it..mine is only visible looking from the rear on an angle when the light hits just right...once you see it you can pretty much find it every time, there is a quick fix I have found though..don't look for it LOL :werd:

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Yes, agreed on the ripple thing, obviously a casting flaw in the stamping die, I believe all these panels have it but the angle of the light has to be just exactly right to see it..mine is only visible looking from the rear on an angle when the light hits just right...once you see it you can pretty much find it every time, there is a quick fix I have found though..don't look for it LOL :werd:
One of the four I've had did not have any ripples except the door one's. The other three had to varying degrees. On one of my PDR appointments for a ding on top of the quarter which that car came with, I had him straighten out all the factory ripples too. Looked perfect after that. PDR is a really good gig if you have the talent. I researched and found a master at it. I've found the chain PDR shops and dealership "yeah, we sent this guy to school for that", don't do that good of a job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts