Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I got my 2011 SRT from a dealer on the used lot. It appeared stock, but it has a K&N Intake on it. I have never noticed the "skip shift" (dont really understand what that is even all about...) so now I am wondering if the original owner possibly had the car tuned and never returned it to stock when he traded it in. In the next few months I am going to grab an exhaust, tune, 180 thermostat etc... so now I am a bit worried that there is no stock tune in the car which could cause issues if I am ever forced to take the car in for service etc...since I got it from a Ford dealer vice a Dodge dealer. Is there any simple way to verify if it has a stock or modified tune without any tools or going to a dealer???

On a side note, they only had 1 key fob also...they had the car shipped in from a dealer in another state for me, and said they would get the spare key for me since it was forgotten...and now are saying there is no extra key...looking at me to pay for a new one...is there any legal requirement for them to provide 2 keys to a car?? I cant beleive they are giving me crap over it since the whole thing was a done deal like 2 weeks ago and I didnt get anything in writing about the 2nd key.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
OK, so I got my 2011 SRT from a dealer on the used lot. It appeared stock, but it has a K&N Intake on it. I have never noticed the "skip shift" (dont really understand what that is even all about...) so now I am wondering if the original owner possibly had the car tuned and never returned it to stock when he traded it in. In the next few months I am going to grab an exhaust, tune, 180 thermostat etc... so now I am a bit worried that there is no stock tune in the car which could cause issues if I am ever forced to take the car in for service etc...since I got it from a Ford dealer vice a Dodge dealer. Is there any simple way to verify if it has a stock or modified tune without any tools or going to a dealer???

On a side note, they only had 1 key fob also...they had the car shipped in from a dealer in another state for me, and said they would get the spare key for me since it was forgotten...and now are saying there is no extra key...looking at me to pay for a new one...is there any legal requirement for them to provide 2 keys to a car?? I cant beleive they are giving me crap over it since the whole thing was a done deal like 2 weeks ago and I didnt get anything in writing about the 2nd key.
1. Try to take it by a Dodge dealer and explain that you bought it through a Furd dealer and would like to hook up the scan tool to see if it has been tuned or if it is stock. They may do it for free since it doesn't take but a minute to do. Or you could find someone with a unmarried Trinity and see what tune is in it. If it doesn't say modiefied stock tune, you're probably OK.
2. Find the guy that told you that they would get a 2nd key and:
a.) Go to his supervisor and ask what kind of BS salesman they hire and ask why is it OK to lie to customers.
b.) Find the salesman and kick his ass.
c.) both

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Ok, so the issue with a tune installed without getting the tuner that goes with it isn't a big deal unless there were major mods done, like a supercharger. If you were to buy your own tuner then you'd be in a pickle because there's no stock tune to back up.

However, the dealer can easily reflash the ECU with the current OEM firmware and tune, wiping out whatever tune is there. So I wouldn't be too worried about it since there are solutions if is a tune installed.

For the key, you're SOL on that. Whenever there are parts missing that the dealer has agreed to replace, or work that needs to be done that the dealer has agreed to do, you ALWAYS want to have the dealer fill out and sign a "We Owe" agreement listing out line-by-line what they still owe you. Without that they really don't have any legal binding to give you anything else and there's no legal requirement to provide 2 keys. Sorry. :(

Reactions: RedRider

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so the issue with a tune installed without getting the tuner that goes with it isn't a big deal unless there were major mods done, like a supercharger. If you were to buy your own tuner then you'd be in a pickle because there's no stock tune to back up.

However, the dealer can easily reflash the ECU with the current OEM firmware and tune, wiping out whatever tune is there. So I wouldn't be too worried about it since there are solutions if is a tune installed.

For the key, you're SOL on that. Whenever there are parts missing that the dealer has agreed to replace, or work that needs to be done that the dealer has agreed to do, you ALWAYS want to have the dealer fill out and sign a "We Owe" agreement listing out line-by-line what they still owe you. Without that they really don't have any legal binding to give you anything else and there's no legal requirement to provide 2 keys. Sorry. :(
Yeah...the perils of buying used and "assuming" that things are taken care of. We have bought 3 different cars with these guys and this is the first time I have kind of been left out in the cold...the dealership is quite a ways from my house but I am very friendly with the Sales Mgr...he seems to be getting sqwashed by his boss as far as taking car of me..typical in my case..:D I see the spare keys on eBay for pretty cheap but then I will be hammered by the dealer to get the thing programmed...just a bum deal.

I never even thought about the dealer being able to throw the stock tune back in if mine was modified...so I guess I am clear to just grab a Diablo...and if my stock tune is gone then I will prepare to get slammed again by my local Dodge Dealer...:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
The dealer may not have to give you an extra key if you were told but nothing in writing but I would confront the salesman and his manager and see if they will make good on it. Don't go in mad , Be under control and that will get you a better chance to get them to replace your second key.if being reasonable don't eork....then you can get mad and kick a few tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts