Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Edelbrock Victor II Manifold Results

161K views 202 replies 58 participants last post by  EJD641973 
#1 · (Edited)
In the effort to continue the quest to go as fast as possible on bolt on's, I purchased the new Edelbrock manifold.

This thread will be dedicated to the results I see and also comments about the design,etc.

I will go with this combo:

Edelbrock Manifold and fuel rails - $989
OEM 92mm Throttle Body - $250 w/ bolts,etc
BWoody Short Ram CAI - $364 w/ custom powdercoat job

This isn't a cheap mod for sure. All told, the parts above are about $1,600. I will hopefully be able to sell my current setup for about $700. So, I'll be in it for $900.

I saw a dyno from OST where a 6.1L manifold gained over 20 rwhp on a stroker over a ported 6.4L manifold. Granted most of the gains were up top, but I hope the Edelbrock manifold provides better low end support.

I would consider it worth it if I could gain 15-20 rwhp for $900.

Anyone else that installs the manifold is welcome to post their results and thoughts here.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's awesome to be able to live vicariously through you...lol

Seriously, I love what you do and the information you report. Thank you

Reactions: kenandjenn4551
#4 ·
Having mine off already once, I can tell you that it is an easy job. You can probably have the manifold off the car in under 30 minutes.

I will also report all the torque specs for the manifold and throttle body. I hope Edelbrock provides this information with the manifold.

My tune is spot on right on... kinda funny I made 40 revisions to get it 99% perfect and now it is going to change...

However, that will be one of the first indicators of additional power. If my tune leans out some, that is a good sign were getting more air. I'll also be keeping a close eye on my aircharge numbers. They currently peak around 910 m.g. or so in the warm weather and approx. 945 m.g. or so in cold weather.

I hope to see them bump up 30-50 m.g.

According to several good calculators, even a 25 rwhp gain at my 1/4 mile speed will only net me around 1.8 tenths. So, if I get asomething around 15 rwhp, I'm probably only looking at a tenth... maybe a little more.

I've got to temper my expectations to some degree. However, if I thought I was going to be 11.3 - 11.4 without the manifold.... MAYBE just maybe I can see an 11.29 in negative DA.

Some may scoff, but Michael Fissel went 11.38 in +500 D.A. w/ only long tubes. If the manifold nets a tenth and I'm at -200 or 300 D.A, then I think it's possible.

My 11.68 run was at +1,200 D.A and also prior to my retune. Full TM was on and my fueling was screwed up.

Lets bench race...

11.68 @ +1,200 DA (Proven)
11.53 @ +1,200 DA w/ retune (No TM, AFR @ around 12.3, shift points, etc.)
11.39 @ -200 DA (About a tenth for every 700 ft. reduction)
11.29 @ -200 DA w/ new manifold and TB combo.

:)

Reactions: 70barcuda
#5 ·
Nice, glad you are sharing this information with the rest of us, as it's always great to get real world data and not have to rely on just the vendors information. I'm looking forward to following the thread and seeing your results. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
This will be interesting to compare to vendors predictions.

#9 ·
Got a message from Edelbrock today that they supply bolts for the throttle body. They also appear to supply a metal type gasket.

This is good because the OEM Hellcat TB bolts are $17 each and the gasket is $30.

I snagged a brand new Hellcat TB off Ebay today for $199 shipped.

The manifold and throttle body should arrive next week, so hopefully I'll have them installed next weekend. I'm not sure when the CAI will arrive since it is being custom powdercoated.

Here is a picture of one installed. I must say that it looks nice.

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm following this thread, as I've been trying to dig up real world independent numbers on this product for months now. I called Edel Brok over the weekend and found out that they finally released the manifold for production. I'm hoping you get your's soon, so we can get independent verification of the numbers. Where did you find a picture of the Manifold installed. Thanks for posting all of these details.

#11 ·
Following, with keen interest.

#12 ·
New Hellcat TB arrived. Nice looking unit. If you go with this manifold, it would absolutely be my recommendation. No reason to pay big $$$ for a ported unit.

I snagged mine off Ebay for $199 shipped.

Attachments

Reactions: Pector55
#15 · (Edited)
Well still waiting on the manifold to arrive. However, the new CAI arrived and I pulled the stock manifold.

The 92mm Hellcat TB is a perfect fit in the BWoody coupler. As expected, the new throttle body is also a direct connect to the factory harness.

I did order a 18" IAT sensor harness extension from LMI to make sure I had enough length to relocate the IAT into the coupler.

The CAI is powder coated in prismatic black and is similar to the phantom black paint on my car.

Although I've done it before, pulling the factory manifold takes less than 30 minutes. The hardest part is getting the vacuum line off the back of the intake manifold. It came off easy this time... the first time not so much... I actually cut the line since you have plenty of length.

Attachments

#16 ·
My head ports had a fair amount of oil in them. I've seen this with two catch cans.... the BT and Bob's.

The cans help, but they certainly still let oil vapor into the intake and the combustion chamber.

I went ahead and tweaked my tune a little with some more fuel. I will have to see what codes are set (if any) with the active runner disconnected. HP Tuners has a toggle in the software for the active runner; however I have heard it doesn't work.

No different than installing a PD blower though, so I'll just shut any codes off.

#18 ·
I've got to check on whether a throttle body harness extension is provided by Edelbrock. It wouldn't be required for a 5.7L, but it certainly appears that the factory harness isn't long enough on the 6.4L to reach the new throttle body location.

Now, in the event they don't provide one... I will just cut the factory harness and solder in an extension. I need to use my Class 3 solder cert from time to time anyway.

I should know something about that tomorrow. If I have to cut it, I can work on that until the manifold arrives.

Reactions: PSM450
#21 ·
From the looks of the Edelbrock fuel rail design, the coil covers probably won't fit. I currently have the Fore rails and the coil covers don't work with them.

The 6.1L and this manifold will be similar. I'm sure there are some runner variances and the fuel injector locations were relocated. The Edelbrock manifold is also ported to accommodate the 92mm Hellcat throttle body. You would have to port the 6.1L manifold to match a 90mm throttle body.

By the time you find a decent 6.1L manifold and have it ported, you will spend quite a bit more on that setup than the Edelbrock setup.

#20 ·
I spoke with Edelbrock and they said the 6.4L throttle body harness should work fine. The guy had the installation procedure in front of him and didn't see anything about an extension harness or having to extend the harness.

For some good news, my manifold shipped today and I should receive it Thursday. I'm off work after tomorrow, so I should be able to get it installed by the weekend and do some initially tuning / testing.

Reactions: Fawls
#23 ·
#24 · (Edited)
Well....

The good and the bad:

The good:

The manifold is a really nice piece. It looks FANTASTIC. The fuel rails are also very nice and easy to assembly / hook up. I actually like them better than the Fore rails that I currently have.

The manifold is perfectly ported for the 92mm Hellcat throttle body. The casting on the inside of the manifold is also high quality and there aren't any rough spots. The ports look very good as well.

The bad:

There is an issue with the fitment of the drivers side fuel rail. It appears to be drilled incorrectly and doesn't line up with the manifold.

Both of the rails are exactly the same and I tried swapping them around. So, I'm not sure if I got two passenger rails or what..... The instructions don't mention side specific parts either.

Could be improved:

There are no torque specs for the manifold, other than the actual manifold bolts. Were dealing with aluminum here, so it would be nice if they included some torque specs. I have a decent feel for "tight enough", so I went with that.

If you have the 6.4L, you will be required to extend the throttle body harness. The Edelbrock tech must have overlooked it in the instructions, but it does mention it a couple of times. To my knowledge, there is no existing extension, so get out your soldering irons.

I can solder well, but I hate to cut the factory harness on a vehicle. As expected, the IAT will also require an extension and that can be purchased from several places. Personally, I went with the 18" extension from LMI.

I will bolt the manifold on tomorrow and await a decision on the drivers side fuel rail.

Attachments

Reactions: SlammedRT
#26 ·
Yes, my entire setup will be for sale.

Ported manifold
88mm throttle body
Fore Rails
JLT CAI

#29 ·
I spoke to Casper and took some pictures of my throttle body connector. They are custom making me a 12" extension. I should have it late next week.

If you have the 6.4L, I would HIGHLY encourage you to take pictures of your connector and text those to Casper. Then, get in touch with a fellow named Joseph and he will hook you up.

Still working with Edelbrock on the fuel rail. I apparently just got the only bad rail made so far...

#31 · (Edited)
I got the manifold installed. No real issues other than stripping the #10 manifold bolt. The provided 8.8 bolts are pretty soft and they strip easily.

You need a 6" 5mm hex socket to properly access and torque the #10 and #8 manifold bolts. I picked it up from Lowe's along with replacement 12.9 black oxide bolts. (8) M6-1 x 90mm and (2) M6-1 x 45mm bolts from Fastenal.

I also got the BWoody CAI installed. It has a support bracket that attaches to the coil pack. I had to "conform" that bracket to get the CAI to line up. It was a bit of a pain, but it looks nice once installed. It isn't a perfect fit "as is" with this manifold on the 6.4L.

I'm figuring out the little details like catch can hoses and some other plumbing details.

Once I get my TB harness extension and my replacement fuel rail, I'll be ready to go.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.