Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been having some front end noise for a while since installing the full Eibach lowering kit (coils, shocks, and sway bars).

The noise got a lot worse recently and I think I finally found the issue. See exhibit A (attached picture, provided I did this correctly).

I was awfully confused when I looked at this after taking the cap off the coil/shock mount under the hood. What it looks like happened is that the shaft on the shock has a ledge on it where the metal plate on the spring hat rests. That ledge pushed through the metal plate and then must have elongated the hole from driving like that for a while.

I have no idea what could have caused that... maybe if I bottomed out the suspension real bad? I am always careful about slowing down for bad pot holes, bumps, etc, but with the horrible roads around here, plus road trips through mountainous areas and such I'm sure there were a few bad ones that caught me by surprise.

I assume the fix is a whole new spring hat, but I don't want to do this again in a couple years.

To note: I installed the entire kit myself except for the front coil/shock assembly. I didn't have the tools required to compress the springs and such so I had that "professionally" done by a local shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,695 Posts
Well, I have been having some front end noise for a while since installing the full Eibach lowering kit (coils, shocks, and sway bars).

The noise got a lot worse recently and I think I finally found the issue. See exhibit A (attached picture, provided I did this correctly).

I was awfully confused when I looked at this after taking the cap off the coil/shock mount under the hood. What it looks like happened is that the shaft on the shock has a ledge on it where the metal plate on the spring hat rests. That ledge pushed through the metal plate and then must have elongated the hole from driving like that for a while.

I have no idea what could have caused that... maybe if I bottomed out the suspension real bad? I am always careful about slowing down for bad pot holes, bumps, etc, but with the horrible roads around here, plus road trips through mountainous areas and such I'm sure there were a few bad ones that caught me by surprise.

I assume the fix is a whole new spring hat, but I don't want to do this again in a couple years.

To note: I installed the entire kit myself except for the front coil/shock assembly. I didn't have the tools required to compress the springs and such so I had that "professionally" done by a local shop.
That looks off-nominal for sure! But I am honestly trying to think back when I've installed struts in these cars to picture what is going there, and I cannot...I've had a strut break its stud right there where that nut is, but nothing that looked like this...I wish I could see it in person...can you take some more pics and post them up?

As for verifying this is the culprit behind your noise, that should be fairly easy. Identify the suspension movements which are more likely to cause the noise and then try to emulate that with it in the garage and you watching. If you are not able to emulate the movement to get the noise, you could always rig up some crude sound recording device (an old cell phone which still powers up?) to secure as closely to that spot as possible and then go drive around until the noise is made. You should be able to listen the recording and tell if the noise was coming from inches away or not.

And then there's always going the route of paying one of your buddies to crawl up in the engine compartment with one of those automotive stethoscopes and holding it on that strut mount while you drive around. If he hears the noise coming from the mount, you've got it verified!

(But finding a buddy that is a good enough friend to ride in your engine bay while you drive around will likely be much more difficult. :4:)

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
the strut may have seized and over time, it pounded through the spring hat.

I had a Bilstein strut seize on another car years ago, and noticed the washer was distorted, which confirmed which side had the issue.

The unit was replaced (under warranty) and took care of it.

Years later, with another car, I had a strut that had failed internally and would make a clunking noise going over any slight variations in the road surface.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weird part is the shock seems to still be good. I can push down on that shaft sticking out and it compresses with some force and then pushes back out to this position once I let go.

What I also should have specified, BOTH sides have this going on.

The best I can come up with is a real bad bottom out on the suspension. I'm at a loss to find any other explanation, but I'd like to know before I fix it and have it happen again.

I swear, I have an untapped talent for breaking things. I missed my calling as a failure test engineer...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts