Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've purchased Eibach Pro Kit springs for my 2016 SXT Plus Challenger and have been trying to soak up enough info from others on this forum and others on the Web that have done this mod (or something closely similar) so I can get a handle on what to expect when I take the car to have them installed.

Unfortunately, what I have found so far is that you will likely NEVER know what to expect. Some can have the springs installed and be only slightly out of alignment on one wheel position - so slight that they are told it shoudn't be a problem. Others have been so far out of alignment that they have to get those SPC adjustable front control arms and Eibach or Moog clocked rear press-in arm bushings resulting in hundreds of $$ more in install costs. There doesn't seem to be any common outcomes when the Eibach Pro Kit springs are installed on the same exact year model and optioned Challenger SXT. Is it that no two cars are ever assembled exactly the same tolerance-wise in the suspension areas? That's what I suspect, but I'm not sure if that is the case for sure.

There is a price point that I don't care to cross (SPC arms and rear bushings) and this seems like it's going to be a roll of the dice to me, as I won't know whether it will be simple spring swap or a more complex one with lots of extra parts and the subsequent labor it takes for someone to install all the extra parts properly to being it into alignment.

My question is...can an initial alignment check tell you if lowering springs will likely put you out of specs? I mean, if you are are towards the outside edge of the range to begin with any of the wheel positions on the stock setup, I'd assume just adding the Pro Kit springs will send you over the edge on that one or others. Any help, comments or suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

-----------------------------//-----

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think your confusion is starting with the type of kit. Eibach makes 2 different lowering spring options. The Pro and the sport. I forget which is which, but one lowers the car more than the other. Thats when people need the adjustable parts (me included went through this process). Lowered the car on the lowest springs they offer, alignment was off VISUALLY i could see the car. There are no variables, its physics once the car lowers or sqauts, the top end of the tires will lean in. You would be suprised what 1 or 2 degrees of adjustment can look like on your tires

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your confusion is starting with the type of kit. Eibach makes 2 different lowering spring options. The Pro and the sport. I forget which is which, but one lowers the car more than the other. Thats when people need the adjustable parts (me included went through this process). Lowered the car on the lowest springs they offer, alignment was off VISUALLY i could see the car. There are no variables, its physics once the car lowers or sqauts, the top end of the tires will lean in. You would be suprised what 1 or 2 degrees of adjustment can look like on your tires
Thanks. The Sportline is the Eibach model that I've read most always require the SPC front arms and clocked rear arm bushing changes. To further muddy things, I've seen these additional parts mentioned as being required when some people have install even the Eibach Pro Kit springs and they offer just a moderate drop at 1.5". That's the part that makes me hesitant to go ahead with the install...

--------------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks. The Sportline is the Eibach model that I've read most always require the SPC front arms and clocked rear arm bushing changes. To further muddy things, I've seen these additional parts mentioned as being required when some people have install even the Eibach Pro Kit springs and they offer just a moderate drop at 1.5". That's the part that makes me hesitant to go ahead with the install...

--------------------------------------------//----
No im pretty sure you have it mixed up the lower-set does about 1.5” and after settling is about 2”. Either way, get the springs installed first then assess the situation. More than likely, you’re going to need (want) the parts to not burn through tores as much

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully some fellow forum members can chime in if they have a 2015 or 2016 SXT Plus V6 model thats been lowered with the Eibach Pro Kit and not needed anything other than a standard alignment. That's what I'm looking for really.

Here's a snip from TireRack that tells what the two Eibach options are about....

For customers looking to upgrade their car with lowering springs, Eibach offers two options that are designed to be street friendly, eliminate fender gap and provide an increase in handling and control. Starting with their most conservative option, the Pro-Kit Spring Set is designed for drivers looking for a moderate reduction in ride height, ride quality that closely resembles the factory spring and a moderate increase in spring rate. Pro-Kit springs will typically lower a vehicle .75"-1.5" and can be used with the factory struts and shocks (upgrading your shocks is recommended for maximum performance benefit).

Going a step further, the Eibach Sportline Spring Set will provide an average of 1.5"-2.0" drop in ride height, coupled with a more aggressive spring rate for additional handling benefits. These springs are recommended to be used with a performance strut or shock, such as options from KONI or Bilstein in order to compensate and control the more aggressive spring rate and reduction in travel.

--------------------------------------//-----

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That bit at the end talk about shock travel and they recommend sport shocks. Ide bet with the weight of the new springs on an oem shock it will sit a little lower. Also, guys with RT’s have the same exact suspension setup as an SXT. So don’t limit your resources.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
The Pros have the smaller drop. I have pros on mine, and am one that had it align, with just one setting on the edge. No unusual wear issues.

View attachment Alignment 6-24.pdf

I have not seen anyone install the Sportline and NOT have to install additional parts. I do believe the majority of SXTs dropped on Pros do not need additional parts, but some do as you stated. They make front adjustment bolts, but I don't know if I have seen anyone who went that way

https://www.carid.com/moog/front-al...n-k100023.html?singleid=21643982&url=88095690

https://www.carid.com/acdelco/profe...-45k5013.html?singleid=482870493&url=88095690

A Guy

Reactions: XLRRR8

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Pros have the smaller drop. I have pros on mine, and am one that had it align, with just one setting on the edge. No unusual wear issues.

View attachment 916026

I have not seen anyone install the Sportline and NOT have to install additional parts. I do believe the majority of SXTs dropped on Pros do not need additional parts, but some do as you stated. They make front adjustment bolts, but I don't know if I have seen anyone who went that way

https://www.carid.com/moog/front-al...n-k100023.html?singleid=21643982&url=88095690

https://www.carid.com/acdelco/profe...-45k5013.html?singleid=482870493&url=88095690

A Guy
Thanks A GUY. I'm headed over to the install shop after work and will see what they have to say and also see if those bolts are something they have had experience with on Chargers/Challengers. I'll likely make an appointment for next week while I'm there since I'll be off on vacation that week. We shall soon see I guess...holding my breath though!:wink3:

------------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just did my 2015 SXT. Eibach kit with bars, struts, springs. Was very easy. Rear sits a little too low. Eibach rear stabilizer bar is 19mm OEM is 22mm, thought that was unusual. I may put a little bit taller spring in and re install the OEM bar.
Steering wheel is clocked a little bit to left, I think this from rear carriage. I will get four wheel alignment when springs and tire situations are settled. Does not pull, drives straight. Ride and handling are awesome.

Eibach 28112.680 Pro-System-Plus (Pro-Kit Springs, Pro-Damper Shocks & Anti-Roll-Kit Sway Bars)

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did my 2015 SXT. Eibach kit with bars, struts, springs. Was very easy. Rear sits a little too low. Eibach rear stabilizer bar is 19mm OEM is 22mm, thought that was unusual. I may put a little bit taller spring in and re install the OEM bar.
Steering wheel is clocked a little bit to left, I think this from rear carriage. I will get four wheel alignment when springs and tire situations are settled. Does not pull, drives straight. Ride and handling are awesome.

Eibach 28112.680 Pro-System-Plus (Pro-Kit Springs, Pro-Damper Shocks & Anti-Roll-Kit Sway Bars)
Thanks for that info Copperhead. You got the whole kit, which was something that I thought about, but with only 8K miles on my car they say I would have no problem using the OEM shocks as the Eibach Pro Kit springs actually are designed around the OEM shocks. Still, the kit is probably what you should get if you want the best handling package I'd guess. Your car looks about like I imagine mine would look - real nice!

---------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
23 Posts
25000 miles.
Eibach says they take the factory shocks and valve them differently.
They also remove the captured nut on the lower front mount and replace the upper mounting flange and bushings on the rears.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I live around the corner from Eibach and they give a killer deal to do the install on the Pro Kit plus they throw in the alignment. Its always been understood that any wheel work that it's worth the dollars to spend to have an alignment done afterwards.

But the one thing I would recommend is the bushing they sell for the rears to adjust the camber. If you look at the photo I attached this is after they did the work and one side is slightly out (bushing was not installed). Personally I would prefer to be in the middle.

But the drop is great for the SXT and I would highly recommend it for SXT. But, when I park my Scat Pack next to my SXT, I prefer the OEM stance of my Scat Pack with the back tilt.

Enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But, when I park my Scat Pack next to my SXT, I prefer the OEM stance of my Scat Pack with the back tilt.

Enjoy it.
Thanks for the great photos and comments DeSimoni. I also like the slight rake on some of factory suspension setups. With the Pro Kit taking 1.4" off the front and 1.5" off the back it pretty much levels it out front to back, which kind of makes it visually a bit dull. Challengers need a slight rake I think. I'm going to call the shop back this morning to see what the estimate for install and alignment will be and then I'll make my final decisions.

---------------------------------//----

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Boss said she would like the back a little higher so I am putting 255 55 R18 's on the back and Eibach has a spring .8 taller than the lowered by 1.5 that is in the kit. So I am going with the "middle of the road" spring. Thanks for the heads up about the bushing. I will ask them about it today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts