Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed the Eibach Pro Kit springs and just wanted to share my results. The kit lowered my car about 1.5 inches. Took her out yesterday and can feel the difference in handling. The ride is a bit more firm but the handling and looks are what I was looking for. I have seen a few members here with the same kit. Very happy with results. Springs cost about $250 and $300 to install at a quality shop with all-wheel alignment. I drove the car yesterday to test the performance and no rubbing, scraping or other issues. Here is a before on right and after on left

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,722 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup: It's how our cars should look from the factory. I'd like about 1" lower, but didn't want to deal with other parts to get it aligned, and fear every driveway. A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,725 Posts
I have installed the Eibach Pro Kit springs and just wanted to share my results. The kit lowered my car about 1.5 inches. Took her out yesterday and can feel the difference in handling. The ride is a bit more firm but the handling and looks are what I was looking for. I have seen a few members here with the same kit. Very happy with results. Springs cost about $250 and $300 to install at a quality shop with all-wheel alignment. I drove the car yesterday to test the performance and no rubbing, scraping or other issues. Here is a before on right and after on left
Congrats on the suspension upgrade, it definitely looks better now and I know it rides better as well.

It's a crying shame that these cars have to be lowered 1-1.5" just to get them to where they should have been in the first place...

Question: did you replace the shocks and struts as well or just the springs with this upgrade?

Reactions: jpferry315

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup: It's how our cars should look from the factory. I'd like about 1" lower, but didn't want to deal with other parts to get it aligned, and fear every driveway. A Guy
It has been my experience that these cars can be dropped 1" without requiring any extra suspension parts to be installed for alignment, and assuming the rest of the hardware in the suspension is in good shape when the drop is performed, an alignment may not even be necessary.

Anything beyond 1" of drop up front is out of my experience zone, but I'm pretty sure that's borderline territory for requiring extra parts and getting an alignment afterward to avoid strange wear patterns and road-walking.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the suspension upgrade, it definitely looks better now and I know it rides better as well.

It's a crying shame that these cars have to be lowered 1-1.5" just to get them to where they should have been in the first place...

Question: did you replace the shocks and struts as well or just the springs with this upgrade?
Thanks. I just did the springs and 4 wheel alignment. The shop that did the install has done several other types of cars and seems everyone was using the Eibach pro-kit so glad I went with that kit. The shop owner did the work himself and said all looked good. I don't drive the car a lot in the winter but did take a 30-mile ride Sunday and she feels more nimble and the ride quality did not suffer IMO. I work for an auto dealership and this shop works on all our used cars. I will have to see how the tires look after a few hundred miles but it feels fine. I agree this is how the car should look from the factory aside from the "GT" model.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks Great! I have used Eibachs for over 20 years on countless cars and have never been disappointed. They are the Kings of Springs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been my experience that these cars can be dropped 1" without requiring any extra suspension parts to be installed for alignment, and assuming the rest of the hardware in the suspension is in good shape when the drop is performed, an alignment may not even be necessary.

Anything beyond 1" of drop up front is out of my experience zone, but I'm pretty sure that's borderline territory for requiring extra parts and getting an alignment afterward to avoid strange wear patterns and road-walking.
After reading your post and thinking back to when I picked my car up he(shop owner) did say the negative camber was right within the acceptable limit. I am thinking of adding the Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber arm kit #5.66045K. This will give him more to work with as far as setting the alignment. I went out to look at the car and it does appear to have a slight negative camber but drives fine as far as I can tell from the few miles I have put on the car since installation. My car is a 2017 and has 3000 miles on it. Is this what you meant by extra suspension parts. I have no problem investing a few more bucks in the project to get it 100% correct.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
After reading your post and thinking back to when I picked my car up he(shop owner) did say the negative camber was right within the acceptable limit. I am thinking of adding the Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber arm kit #5.66045K. This will give him more to work with as far as setting the alignment. I went out to look at the car and it does appear to have a slight negative camber but drives fine as far as I can tell from the few miles I have put on the car since installation. My car is a 2017 and has 3000 miles on it. Is this what you meant by extra suspension parts. I have no problem investing a few more bucks in the project to get it 100% correct.
Yeah, I know a really extreme drop (2”) requires that sort hardware to allow proper alignment, and that a mild one (1”) doesn’t, but couldn’t remember where 1.5” fell. Seems like most folks were able to get away with 1.5” without the extra hardware, but also seems like I remember people complaining about not having enough left on a 1.5” drop to get a proper alignment.

It’s been several years since I did the research on all this, so I may be misremembering it, but IIRC the SXTs can get away with the 1.5” drop and not require extra hardware since they start off at 4x4 ride height. Whereas an SRT may need the extra hardware because a 1.5” drop is more extreme for it seeing as it starts off lower already.

Whatever the folks at the alignment say is what to go by obviously, but I think you will be okay like it is with the SXT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Add the camber kit. I bought RT with the Eibach kit and drove through the fist set of tires on it. They were worn on the inside to the belts. After I installed the camber kit and had the aliment done it was night and day. The car handles way better in corners and the steering is more responsive. You'll love it, and it'll save your tires.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Add the camber kit. I bought RT with the Eibach kit and drove through the fist set of tires on it. They were worn on the inside to the belts. After I installed the camber kit and had the aliment done it was night and day. The car handles way better in corners and the steering is more responsive. You'll love it, and it'll save your tires.
I think I will add the camber kit to be safe. I can see by eye that the tire is off a little bit but I'm sure over time this will result in poor tire wear. Im not crazy about the factory Firestones but not ready to drop the money for new tires yet. The camber kit cost about as much as the springs but I feel after some research is a worthwhile investment to get the alignment to factory spec.

A question for A Guy???? We have the same car and you have this spring set, did you add the camber kit or just running the springs alone. How is your tire wear, handling??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey A Guy, Did you add the camber kit to your SXT Plus???

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I think I will add the camber kit to be safe. I can see by eye that the tire is off a little bit but I'm sure over time this will result in poor tire wear. Im not crazy about the factory Firestones but not ready to drop the money for new tires yet. The camber kit cost about as much as the springs but I feel after some research is a worthwhile investment to get the alignment to factory spec.

A question for A Guy???? We have the same car and you have this spring set, did you add the camber kit or just running the springs alone. How is your tire wear, handling??? Thanks in advance.
There is not much to be gained from adding the camber kit right now since they were able to do the alignment. Now if you do see uneven tire wear or have some other issue such that you take it to a shop and ask them to fix it, but they tell you they cannot align it properly without going out of spec, then that is when you should get a camber kit and add it. That will give the alignment folks the extra room necessary to make the necessary adjustments and bring the suspension back into specs.

Adding it now without being able to use it would be a waste of money until you could make use of it, and you cannot make use of it until an alignment shop re-aligns it with new specs. In other words, you gain nothing just from adding the kit, so might as well hold off until (if) it is necessary.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is not much to be gained from adding the camber kit right now since they were able to do the alignment. Now if you do see uneven tire wear or have some other issue such that you take it to a shop and ask them to fix it, but they tell you they cannot align it properly without going out of spec, then that is when you should get a camber kit and add it. That will give the alignment folks the extra room necessary to make the necessary adjustments and bring the suspension back into specs.

Adding it now without being able to use it would be a waste of money until you could make use of it, and you cannot make use of it until an alignment shop re-aligns it with new specs. In other words, you gain nothing just from adding the kit, so might as well hold off until (if) it is necessary.
Thanks, That makes sense as they did say it was borderline in spec. I am off today and was able to drive it around town a bit more. I don't feel like anything is wrong with how she drives and the handling in spot on as I can take an off ramp at a decent speed. So happy the body roll is pretty much gone. Seems most who installed the Pro-Kit where ok. The 1.5 inch drop must be the sweet spot of being able to just install the springs without the camber kit. I just can get over how the car looks now, like a lot have said "it should have come like this from the factory". LOL...Really Nuke Thanks a bunch, Im sure the camber kit after being installed would of cost me $500+.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,722 Posts

I got just about a 1.5" drop from mine. It aligned with no extra parts, with one just over. The shop that installed and aligned said no issue. Mind they could have sold me more parts by saying it's an issue, so they had no ulterior motive in telling me it was fine. I just rotated my tires Friday at 7000 miles, and no sign of any wear to be honest, much less from misalignment.

View attachment Alignment 6-24.pdf

A Guy

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I got just about a 1.5" drop from mine. It aligned with no extra parts, with one just over. The shop that installed and aligned said no issue. Mind they could have sold me more parts by saying it's an issue, so they had no ulterior motive in telling me it was fine. I just rotated my tires Friday at 7000 miles, and no sign of any wear to be honest, much less from misalignment.

View attachment 899297

A Guy
"..no sign of any wear.." huh?

None??

Not even on the extreme outside edges of the tires (the side facing away from the car)?

Well, if that is the case, that tells me one thing: you are NOT pushing that car(and your aftermarket suspension) anywhere near its limits when you hit the twisties.

That's not good @A Guy. You paid for the parts, you paid to have them installed, and you paid for the car they put it on. Now you need to start realizing a benefit from all that expense. You need to use those parts for what they were meant to be used for!

So, here's your homework assignment:
1. Find some twisties; the less traffic the better, but some is still okay.
2. Hit them suckers as fast as you are comfortable taking them, and stop at the end.
3. Turn around and hit them again in the other direction, but ADD 5mph going in (and maintain it!!).
4. Repeat numbers 2 and 3 above until you can actually see the outside edges of your tires (facing away from body) going bald.

Once you have that smooth outside edge all the way around the front tires, THAT's when you know you have been taking the corners properly - like you're on rails!

Report back once you have completed this homework assignment successfully, and bring pictures too so we know you didn't go plagiarize it or something.

Nuke

P.S. Don't give me no static about not wanting to drive like that, okay?! I remember when you said you'd never go above 85mph, and now look at you. If those videos you have been posting up here are to be believed, you've become quite the Lead Foot nowadays. Congratulations!! I told you that you would like it >:)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,722 Posts
Nuke, I hate to break it to you. But I, and no doubt others here, did not buy my car to "throw it around" constantly. I bought my car for it's good looks, it's features, it's good looks, it's safety rating, it's good looks, and it's gas mileage. Oh, and did I mention the good looks? Not for it's 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, horsepower rating.

You may notice all my mods were done to improve it's appearance. Including the exhaust with it's dual round tips. It also improved the way it sounded, I doubt it improved it's performance. My "aftermarket suspension", lowering springs, was for appearance. If it added any handling improvement, that was just a bonus. The CAI...bling! And a deeper sound for the exhaust as another bonus.

The car is plenty powerful enough for me. If I had 485 HP, and the sound it gives, that would be great, but I'd not be making use of it except getting on the freeway.

I hate to disillusion you, but I have done less than 10 0-60 times. I have never raced anyone. I do not look for "twisties" to push it to it's edge. This will be my 20+ year car if I make it. Lifetime warranty and all.

I'm just a boring Guy with what I believe is an awesome looking car. So sue me >:)

A Boring Guy

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Nuke, I hate to break it to you. But I, and no doubt others here, did not buy my car to "throw it around" constantly. I bought my car for it's good looks, it's features, it's good looks, it's safety rating, it's good looks, and it's gas mileage. Oh, and did I mention the good looks? Not for it's 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, horsepower rating.

You may notice all my mods were done to improve it's appearance. Including the exhaust with it's dual round tips. It also improved the way it sounded, I doubt it improved it's performance. My "aftermarket suspension", lowering springs, was for appearance. If it added any handling improvement, that was just a bonus. The CAI...bling! And a deeper sound for the exhaust as another bonus.

The car is plenty powerful enough for me. If I had 485 HP, and the sound it gives, that would be great, but I'd not be making use of it except getting on the freeway.

I hate to disillusion you, but I have done less than 10 0-60 times. I have never raced anyone. I do not look for "twisties" to push it to it's edge. This will be my 20+ year car if I make it. Lifetime warranty and all.

I'm just a boring Guy with what I believe is an awesome looking car. So sue me >:)

A Boring Guy

:shocked::freak2::zzz::dj::sleep::icon_evil:_RESISTANCE_IS_FUTILE_:grouphug::bowdown::ninja::8:

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

(no seriously, I'm going to bring you over to the dark side, that is not in doubt. The only question is how much you are going to fight me on this. It's up to you, we can do this the easy way, or we can do it the hard way. You appear to have chosen the hard way. Fine, I got nothing but time. Before this is all over, you're going to be pawning your childhood coin collection so you can afford the higher octane gas you decided you need in order to finally break your personal best top speed of 149 MPH. I won't go into detail about what you did for the money to buy the tuner you needed just to modify that top speed in the car's tune...but dude, seriously, you may want to get some help after that...I mean, what did that goat ever do to you?!? FYI on that goat: the rancher who gave us the goat wants him back. I told him we might be able to do that, but to be prepared, as the goat had been...modularized? Either way, he is pretty ticked, he wants the goat's head back at the very least. Did we leave the head in an Uber car or a Lyft one?? There was so much blood in my eyes, I couldn't tell what kind of car we were even towing behind us...which validates your complaint about me driving, yes, my apologies for yelling at you....)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,722 Posts
I'm 57, you being younger may outlive me (may if you are doing 149). All I have to do is keep on like I am :)

A Guy

Reactions: sdr2711
1 - 20 of 35 Posts