Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Eibach pro kit plus into a shop today to have them install it (MIDAS). After talking with some of the mechanics on the install time I decided to just have the Springs and shocks installed because they were saying it would be another 5 plus hours in labor just for the sway bars on the v6. I'm no mechanic , but why does it say 2.5 hour install on the instructions manual? I have read some other stories online about installing sway bars , but would like to ask on here to confirm what the install time should be for a shop on sway bars for a V6 challenger. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,996 Posts
Maybe because it was Midas? No speedshop type shops in the area?

A Guy

·
Registered
199 Posts
The front one is easy 20 minute job the rear one I can do in about 2 hours. I've done it a few time now. The first time I did the rear one took me about 5 hours. All on jack stances.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Did your front sway bar come with new brackets or just bushings and use the stock mounting brackets?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rear bar install has to either have the cradle removed or dropped. Or they can cut out sheetmetal and try to remove that way. I would prefer cradle drop, but if they have never done that type of work I would be careful.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Rear bar install has to either have the cradle removed or dropped. Or they can cut out sheetmetal and try to remove that way. I would prefer cradle drop, but if they have never done that type of work I would be careful.
Any shop that suggests cutting sheetmetal for that install - run away, as fast as possible!

4 large bolts on the cradle, the rear resonator support bolts / ground straps, and unbolt the brackets for the brake lines at wheel wheel and lower shock mounting bolt and lower the cradle ~ 4".

Access the endlink bolts and remove the two brackets on the midsection where the bar is secured to the cradle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any shop that suggests cutting sheetmetal for that install - run away, as fast as possible!

4 large bolts on the cradle, the rear resonator support bolts / ground straps, and unbolt the brackets for the brake lines at wheel wheel and lower shock mounting bolt and lower the cradle ~ 4".

Access the endlink bolts and remove the two brackets on the midsection where the bar is secured to the cradle.
Agree to all of this. I have seen some hack jobs that's why I warn people. Dropping this cradle is not something I would let Midas do. Find you a reputable shop and wait to save up the money to pay them if you aren't comfortable doing it or have the tools. If they have dropped cradles in Camaro's or G8's they should be able to do it. Worst case take it to a dealer.

Ben

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,168 Posts
Agree to all of this. I have seen some hack jobs that's why I warn people. **Dropping this cradle is not something I would let Midas do.** Find you a reputable shop and wait to save up the money to pay them if you aren't comfortable doing it or have the tools. If they have dropped cradles in Camaro's or G8's they should be able to do it. Worst case take it to a dealer.

Ben
Bingo.

I'm sure they have very capable mechanics there at the Midas you are referencing, and I might even let them do all the other work you mentioned having done. However, I would NOT want to ask them to do the rear sway bar because of the work involved in dropping the cradle. That's just not something I envision them doing very often, if at all. And I would want someone doing that who has done it before...preferably several times before!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am considering getting a set of these bars too. Once you have them in can you post your impression of the change they make?

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
I am considering getting a set of these bars too. Once you have them in can you post your impression of the change they make?
It will dramatically reduce the body lean in curves and corners - compared to the OEM units.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It will dramatically reduce the body lean in curves and corners - compared to the OEM units.
I was under the impression that 2015+ Challengers had improved stock swag bars. Can anyone confirm that upgrading sway bars on newer Challengers does help? Thx

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I was under the impression that 2015+ Challengers had improved stock swag bars. Can anyone confirm that upgrading sway bars on newer Challengers does help? Thx
Yes it does help. While the 15s may have bigger factory bars than previous years the aftermarket bars still help.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,456 Posts

Different trims have different sizes. Be more specific. Also a good idea to complete your profile.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
The standard suspension on non-STP equipped R/Ts is more of a 'boulevard ride' and still has body roll. The STP option adds the larger rear sway bar and Bilstein shocks (IIRC also stiffer rear springs)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The standard suspension on non-STP equipped R/Ts is more of a 'boulevard ride' and still has body roll. The STP option adds the larger rear sway bar and Bilstein shocks (IIRC also stiffer rear springs)
I own a 2015 Scat Pack Shaker. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
I own a 2015 Scat Pack Shaker. Thanks.
The steering ratio is faster on the '15+ - the SP suspension is directly related to the '11 SRT suspension.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The steering ratio is faster on the '15+ - the SP suspension is directly related to the '11 SRT suspension.
It's funny you say that about the steering ratio, everyone that has driven my car in autocross has said the steering feels slow to them. I didn't notice it till a couple weeks ago when I ran R comps for the first time on it. I tried taking some caster out of it and hoping that helps.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts