Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am really considering a set of electric cutouts for the noise and coolness factor however I have a few questions.

Who makes the best set in your opinions? I have read alot about the DMH Low Profiles on our cars however in going to their website you get directed to a new website and I see the low profiles are no longer on there!!! I wonder why and if there were enough problems they stopped making them recently.

On my R/T (2009) these things would go into the mid pipes after the cats correct? My mids are stock so which size do I need?

The ones on the DMH website are the round style with the y pipe, any thoughts on those?

For those who have installed them, how did you route the wiring?

Thanks in advance, you guys are alwasy a weath of information (and good jokes).:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Maryland Speed seems to have the DMH low pros on sale quite often. In fact, I think they have them on sale now - might try giving them a call. I have had QTP cutouts on past vehicles and never had a problem, but many other people do. I don't know about the DMH ones - I asked a question regarding the reliability and have yet to receive a response.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
these have been around for a while . and though they are cool , reliability seems to be a consistent issue ; regardless of manufacturer. electric motors and heat are not that compatible .

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I have DMH low profiles, and the Driver side started to leak so I took it off..been meaning to send it back to them! Can't beat a 4 year warranty!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
True, but atleast you know they back the product well!

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I have a set, but never wound up installing them. Probably won't at this point. Heard of too many failures and it sounds plenty mean with the arh long tubes and mbrp catback.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Chris, how ya been. ? I did some research on the cut outs, and I want to say they have a great warrenty. I dont recommend installing the cut outs on a speed density system as ours unless you tune for it. I have been looking into this and here is the issues I found.
Mass Air Systems, chevy, ford, its not as bad beacuse of there type of control pcm system. As long as you install the cut outs far away from the factory a/f sensor in the exhaust or youll get whats called Air Wash, it will sense it like a vac leak or lean condition, the maf sensor and pcm will make adjustments, By reducing the back presure MAF changes more air goes across the MAF sensor, then the PCM makes adjustments A/f ,timing. Chevys Fords have MAF sensors in the intake tube, some heated wire some a mesh. We have MAP,and IAT. Its why cut outs / going open to close work easyer on ford or chevys.
Speed Density, the system we have. When you remove that much back presure it raises engine (VE) volumetric effiency, the pcm does not know how to adjust for that. Its not in the tune. Not of the maping, we have MAP and IAT making adjustments from a predetermined map. The pcm thinks all is normal, pcm reading the MAP and speed sensors and thinks its adding the right amount of fuel and timing but its not, It dont know cause nothing is telling it of a change, we dont have MAF sensor in the intake making measurments,. This results in a lean condition and may put it into knk. Lose power and damage can occure. I always like to see people who mod install a wideband a/f. amazing what you find.
When you remove the back presure all the way (cut outs), you must re tune. Im not saying changing mufflers will kill the motor. I am stating facts. The VE tables must be remapped. Timing added and a/f fattened up. Close the cut outs and VE changes again drastically. And no way to measure it. You have to lean it out and remove some ign timing. 2 tunes is the real way to go one for open one for closed. I know many will jump in and say theres runs fine. Well ok. What I said ^^^ is well documated and it the cmr tuning i am learning presently. And is what I am seeing. This is with our challengers only, ares are Speed Density Only.
They will make more power opened up, yes (no back presure), if the timing and fuel is remapped by a tune being built one tune for it being open and a tune for being closed. Otherwise I would not install cutouts, without the 2 tunes.
Without a tune using cutouts to make safe HP, its SNAKE OIL imho
Im no pro tuner, not a know it all. I am learning this in the cmr software Im studing.
FlatTop

They sound damn cool though ! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts