Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Challenger R/T 400 c.i. w/ nitrous, M9 straight axle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my car back from the shop that wired in my new holley Dominator computer only to find I have zero power steering. got the car home on the lift and found that the main power supply cable for the pump was not hooked back up. To see if that was the only issue i ran a lead straight from the battery in the back to the power steering pump. It is getting 12v supply and ground cable is good. still nothing. Checked the other connector with 3 small wires. the center wire i assume is the switched wire. ignition to run 12v and ignition turned off 0v. not sure what the other 2 wires are for but read 2.5-2.6v no matter what I do. Really not sure where to go from here. am i missing a relay or fuse that could have gone bad? i have moved the car around a minimal amount at the house forcing it to turn slightly. Could this have damage the pump some way?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
This is still the 2014?

Multiple modules work together to improve vehicle steering assist at different rates at different speeds. At slow speeds (parking maneuvers) more assist is available and at high speeds less assist is available. The EHPS module uses the CAN - C data bus for inputs and outputs of the information necessary for operation. The use of a scan tool is necessary for diagnostics. EHPS module faults are stored in a diagnostic program memory and are accessible with the scan tool. Faults remain in memory until cleared, or until after the vehicle is started approximately 50 times. Stored faults are not erased if the battery is disconnected. For descriptions and procedures related to DTCs (Refer to DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) - Diagnosis and Testing).

The Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) Pump assembly contains a control module, brushless electric motor, and hydraulic pump integrated into a single unit. The EHPS Pump draws power from the 12-Volt electrical system and provides the necessary flow and pressure to the steering gear to provide normal power steering. The output flow of the EHPS Pump is varied as a function of Steering Wheel Rate (received from SAS) and Vehicle Speed (received from ABS Module) in order to provide the optimum flow of power steering fluid to the steering gear under all operating conditions. The EHPS Pump will start to provide steering assist when the Vehicle speed message greater than 5 km/h (3 mph) is received on CAN C. If the Vehicle Speed message is missing at vehicle startup, the EHPS Pump will not operate. If the Vehicle Speed message is lost during operation the EHPS pump will use a default vehicle speed of 85 km/h (59 mph) to calculate desired flow and as a result, steering effort will no longer be speed sensitive. If the Steering Wheel Position message is lost the EHPS Pump will use a default steering wheel rate of 230°/sec to calculate desired flow and as a result, steering effort may be higher on evasive steering maneuvers. The EHPS pump will resume normal operation automatically once any missing message or out of range condition noted above is restored to normal.

Click on images to view full size, if that doesn't work right click on images, open in new window to view full sized

A Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to trick the can bus signals to make the pump run? It is getting the 12v switched ignition signal. However, with the motor now being run by a holley dominator, I'm sure it is not getting the ABS input and not sure about the SAS.

And yes this is still the 2014 challenger. Started doing a lot of work a few years back and then travelled the last three years for work so this project fell stagnant until now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
if you switched to the Holley injection system you might want to just eliminate the electric steering. Im assuming its a v8 so a pump off of a 2010 r/t and a rack from the same year would solve the steering issues. Would also need hoses and a reservoir. You might get lucky and the lines be the same thread, if not you could have the pressure line custom made to fit both the current rack and a manual pump. As for the abs you could eliminate it all together and run a brake bias along with new lines from the master cylinder. Dash will always look like a xmas tree unless you eliminate them somehow.
What did you do about the transmission and tcm?
I see in your profile you put straight axle in. Id be very interested in seeing some detailed pics of the install. Im leaning tward this and trying to gather all the info i can on it

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,113 Posts
Why not return it to where the work was done and have them explain why it is no longer functioning? Sounds like they omitted this. I would have turned it right around when I discovered it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
he couldn't turn the steering wheel far enough to make that left turn. LOL

i've been there it doesn't really turn unless your doing Mach2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We knew this was a problem but brought the car home to do some other work while the tuner (who also did the wiring on the car is out west racing). Holley has been kicking in some ideas as it doesn't look like anyone has tried to run factory steering off of a Holley so that will be the next R&D quest in a couple of weeks to make this more applicable and easier for other late model owners. More so curious if there was an easy way around it temporarily for myself moving the car around my shop on and off the lift.

if you switched to the Holley injection system you might want to just eliminate the electric steering. Im assuming its a v8 so a pump off of a 2010 r/t and a rack from the same year would solve the steering issues. Would also need hoses and a reservoir. You might get lucky and the lines be the same thread, if not you could have the pressure line custom made to fit both the current rack and a manual pump. As for the abs you could eliminate it all together and run a brake bias along with new lines from the master cylinder. Dash will always look like a xmas tree unless you eliminate them somehow.
What did you do about the transmission and tcm?
I see in your profile you put straight axle in. Id be very interested in seeing some detailed pics of the install. Im leaning tward this and trying to gather all the info i can on it
All i can tell you right now is that it is a Moser Engineering KIT and that all the information will be out soon. When it is announced I'll make a separate discussion about this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts