Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T plus wide body
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering rack is making a weird friction noise, cant find any used part here in the Czech republic, the only one is this from the SXT... And a lot of sellers have this rack with description that it fits 3.6 and 5.7 (Fits 2016 and 2017 Dodge Challenger V6 and R/T; does not fit SRT, Scat Pack or Hellcat models!) so I'm not sure if I should buy the only one its currently for sale here, from a 3.6.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Font Parallel Rectangle Brand Number

The question I want to ask - does anyone know if the steering rack from a 2018 sxt will fit my 2015 R/T? The numbers on the steering looks the same, but when I look to the mopar catalogue the sxt has not the same part number as the R/T

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama. While I am not familiar with this, you are in the right place. Someone will chime in.

Reactions: Honza

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum. +2018 models have a security gateway so can bus communication between a 2015 and 2018 are most likely different. That and there are a couple of modules that are specific to 2015 like the media hub....so my guess would be that it might not work.

I believe this is the rack for a 2015 Challenger SXT+ (RTs were listed as SXTs in 2015) 5.7 with auto trans which appears to still be available...but kinda pricey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. +2018 models have a security gateway so can bus communication between a 2015 and 2018 are most likely different. That and there are a couple of modules that are specific to 2015 like the media hub....so my guess would be that it might not work.

I believe this is the rack for a 2015 Challenger SXT+ (RTs were listed as SXTs in 2015) 5.7 with auto trans which appears to still be available...but kinda pricey.
Thanks for the answer. I have a 2015 R/T plus. There is only one challenger 2018 3.6 breaking for parts in Czech republic. If I see the link you posted, there is a 5.7 or 3.6 too -
This part fits the vehicle you selected:
2015 Dodge Challenger8 Cyl 5.7L HEMI MDS VVT; 8-Speed Automatic Transmission 8HP70; SXT Plus
Edit: Read one more time whats written, and now I do understand... But the new one is the last way I want to try, is too expensive and with the shipping and another additional costs is the price really high. There are some refurbished, so I can try to repair the steering, but I dont find any infos about the repair of this steering racks in USA, so I dont trust anyone here in Europe can repair my steering.

Welcome to the Forum from Alabama. While I am not familiar with this, you are in the right place. Someone will chime in.
thank you for welcoming!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,790 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I have a 2015 R/T plus. There is only one challenger 2018 3.6 breaking for parts in Czech republic. If I see the link you posted, there is a 5.7 or 3.6 too -
This part fits the vehicle you selected:
2015 Dodge Challenger8 Cyl 5.7L HEMI MDS VVT; 8-Speed Automatic Transmission 8HP70; SXT Plus
Yes but in 2015 the RT was specified as an SXT (below is a screenshot of my window sticker). I would be hesitant to try a 2018 rack in a 2015 just because the can bus security gateway difference. Maybe @stevewhite or @EngiNerd might know for certain if it will work or not?
Font Parallel Newspaper Publication Rectangle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes but in 2015 the RT was specified as an SXT (below is a screenshot of my window sticker). I would be hesitant to try a 2018 rack in a 2015 just because the can bus security gateway difference. Maybe @stevewhite or @EngiNerd might know for certain if it will work or not?
View attachment 1032957
Thanks, I have seen this too late, I didnt know that r/t plus can be marked as SXT plus. So the whole question should be changed, the car for spare parts is 2018 3.6 challenger. My car is 2015 R/T plus 5.7 🤨

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,790 Posts
Actually looking at the part number for the 3.6 SXT 68466317AB, I don't think it will work not because of the security gateway but because 2015 is different to other year models. As I mentioned there are some parts/modules that are specific to the 2015 models. But I will wait for the other guys to confirm.
Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, somebody is rebuilding these.
Why not get the used one for parts, and rebuild yours?
Keep your same electrics, replace the worn mechanicals, come back and write a tech note for us!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, somebody is rebuilding these.
Why not get the used one for parts, and rebuild yours?
Keep your same electrics, replace the worn mechanicals, come back and write a tech note for us!
Thank you for the answer. As I have written before, the new one is very expensive and its hardly to get here because of its size and shipping. I have the same purpose, I guess that on my steering has the problem on mechanical part of the steering the electric is working well, so I want to use the mechanical part from the steering from 3.6 and put on it the electrical parts from my 5.7, hope it will fit and the problem will be solved. I buy the 3.6 steering because of the sticker on it look the same as on my 5.7, the numbers match
Wood Rectangle Font Gas Handwriting

But its on the electric motor, cant find anyother stickers or number on the mechanical side of steering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hello, thank you for the answer. VIN of the 3.6 is 2C3CDZAG5JH309644, VIN of my 5.7 R/T is 2C3CDZBT5FH877976.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Some news, maybe it will help to anybody who had the same problem in the future... The problem was that the previous owner has changed the steering boot, but he has used a wrong one, so the water leaks inside the boot, inside the steering, and there is a lot of rust on the steering gear...
Wood Gas Machine Motor vehicle Auto part

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Machine

Plumbing Cylinder Gas Engineering Auto part

As its written here, the number on the steering rack, on the mechanical side of the steering rack is 5154727AJ on the sticker, and 38017975 - 3 and 51-0263110415 on the aluminium case of the steering. This is the steering from my 2015 5.7 R/T plus super track pack.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Rim

On the electric part of the steering, on the sticker are numbers:
38010120 012
BLM 095
K5098-00522
Lungt an. Taiwan
Rectangle Packing materials Gas Font Metal

So now im in contact with one company from Poland, who is specialized in steering remanufacturing and I will see what to do next. As I see the numbers, I'm afraid, that my plan to use the mechanical steering side from the 2018 3.6 and put it together with my electrical parts from my 2015 5.7 will not work 😕

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
904 Posts
View attachment 1032957
That is weird. Wonder if it is a typo? Has to be. Everything listed points to a RT Plus with a 5.7 engine except the the underlined.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
29,001 Posts
All 2015 R/Ts were listed that way

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 SXT
3,276 Posts
Well with the SXT name officially recorded by factory it would be cheaper on Insurance :)
Because Insurance Company's dont count the SXT being High Performance.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,790 Posts
That is weird. Wonder if it is a typo? Has to be. Everything listed points to a RT Plus with a 5.7 engine except the the underlined.
It is not a typo, as A Guy confirms...2015 is the only year RT was specified as an SXT. Even the PCM shows it as an SXT.

Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Number

1 - 20 of 29 Posts