Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a new Challenger RT classic and test drove a 2011 Automatic yesterday, it drove great and I really liked the car but the steering felt a bit too light and vague, I haven't driven an earlier model with hydraulic steering so I can't compare, anyone drove both types and like one type over the other?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, nobody's driven both? Doesn't really matter I guess, I'm set on a 2011 or 2012 anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The larger steering wheel and ratio will be more noticeable than the electronic steering. It won't feel like a '70s muscle car by any means. You'll get used to it. I drive 4 different cars weekly from a lexus SUV, buick, 69 dart, to the chally, they all have their own feel that you will get used to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the electronic steering is very different, it's "artificial" feeling. it feels almost way to easy to turn. some GM cars have had this for the past few years, Cobalt, Malibu, etc... with terrible results. countless columns and power steering motors replaced, some due to recalls, some for rattles or other reasons. hopefully chrysler won't have so many problems, but I'm sure glad my 2010 SE doesn't have this "feature". it's an answer to a question that was never asked, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The electric steering is supposed to be superior if you believe the reports. Supposedly it is programmed to provide the proper feel given the speed and conditions. I've got a 2010, so can't say if that's right or wrong.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There's a reason it's not offered on the SRT's, the "feel" of the road/car disappears. Trying to "program" that back in is like the electric vehicles having mufflers that emit the electronic sound of an engine so they don't run blind people over. They may have them perfected in the near future for the performance cars, and they're a neat idea for HP and efficiency, but not yet, not on an SRT...
Justin

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went and drove a 2009 R/T yesterday at a Honda dealer, car had 29,000 miles and the dealer had installed new Firestone tires all around and new rotors on the front, they were asking 29,900 firm for the car, a new R/T I was looking at with a sticker of 38K was offered to me for 34K so it wasn't a very good deal on the used one, but the car definitely had more steering effort but the feel really wasn't much different, so I'd say the electric steering isn't so bad, but the older steering wheel is MUCH better than the crappy three spoke wheel on the new ones, I like to cruise with my hand on the bottom of the wheel and the new wheel prevents this, what were they thinking!!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just traded my 09 R/T in on a 11 R/T yesterday. To be honest steering feels about the same. The 11 has the super track pack and is a 6 speed where the 09 was an auto. The 11 seems to have a harsher ride and jumps across bumps that the 09 didn't.

The biggest difference for me is the steering wheel. I HATE the new wheel. Maybe I will get used to it but I just dont like the feel of it and when you have the wheel tilted down any amount it blocks the view of most of the speedo.

My only other gripe about the car is who was the moron that took the power seat back out of the car? It went from a manual lumbar and power seat back to a power lumbar and manual seat back. And they still call it a 6 way power seat since the lumbar not only inflates but can move up and down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just traded my 09 R/T in on a 11 R/T yesterday. To be honest steering feels about the same. The 11 has the super track pack and is a 6 speed where the 09 was an auto. The 11 seems to have a harsher ride and jumps across bumps that the 09 didn't.

The biggest difference for me is the steering wheel. I HATE the new wheel. Maybe I will get used to it but I just dont like the feel of it and when you have the wheel tilted down any amount it blocks the view of most of the speedo.

My only other gripe about the car is who was the moron that took the power seat back out of the car? It went from a manual lumbar and power seat back to a power lumbar and manual seat back. And they still call it a 6 way power seat since the lumbar not only inflates but can move up and down.
2011s with the STP do not have the electric steering.

I've driven both. It is most noticeable at very low speeds...much easier to turn. I hardly noticed the transition to electric, but driving a normal car afterward, the extra effort is much more noticeable.

It is not a deal breaker to me either way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I notice the different’s after driving my wife’s KIA. I like the electric steering wheel better. It's so easy to turn :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think that was to enable flipping the seat back forward for passenger entry on the driver's side. As I don't really spend a whole lot of time adjusting my seat after getting it the way I like it once, having the ability to accommodate people getting in and out of the car seems like a good trade-off.

·
Registered
363 Posts
2011s with the STP do not have the electric steering.

I've driven both. It is most noticeable at very low speeds...much easier to turn. I hardly noticed the transition to electric, but driving a normal car afterward, the extra effort is much more noticeable.

It is not a deal breaker to me either way.
I confirm that if you have the Super Trak Pack, it will NOT feel like that - lots of good feedback from both the hydraulic steering pump and the better shocks. :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts