Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the 2nd time now the wires at the crimp connector going to my fore fuel pump have corroded to the point of failure due to electrolysis between the aluminum crimp and the copper wiring.
I am hoping these heat shrink solder connectors will resolve this issue.
The temp fix was to fill the replacement connector with dielectric grease until the tubes arrive.

Luckily the failure occurred in the driveway, but I do have a length of wire stashed in the spare wheel area. If needed I can rig a temp jumper from the battery to the pump to get home.
Shoe Automotive tire Black Sleeve Textile
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Bumper
Font Office supplies Rectangle Recreation Writing implement

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
382 Posts
Sounds like you are using the wrong terminal ends. They have ones that are made to make the transition from copper to aluminum. Or you could just use a copper terminal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wire cars for a living and have never seen any corrosion in a crimp connector that wasnt exposed to liquids. How much power are you running through those connectors? They look melted.

Reactions: RIPNWIP

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you are using the wrong terminal ends. They have ones that are made to make the transition from copper to aluminum. Or you could just use a copper terminal.
Agreed... live and learn.

I wire cars for a living and have never seen that. How much power are you running through those connectors? They look melted.
Not that much, it's a 450 lph walbro pump. The heat was caused by the corrosion deteriorating the connection.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A Walbro can pull upwards of 20A. I would avoid crimp connectors on anything that pulls that much. I’ve never used those heat shrink solder things. I would say solder the wires and cover the connection with heat shrink and you wont have this issue anymore. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's fed by a 20a fusible link, so worse case scenario would be a popped fuse if it grounds out.
And I'm thinking these should fit the bill.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
The proper term is galvanic corrosion also known as bimetallic corrosion.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
...Google. :geek:
Nope, learned it from having daily coffee with a plumber and helping when needed for years.
How about capillary action/attraction when sweating pipes?
It pays to pay attention, so much so that I built all three bathrooms in my house, pulled permits and passed inspections too on the first try.
I enjoy looking at all the homes I renovated and know they will be here for many years to come. I enjoy learning the finer parts of how to make things tick.

Reactions: 68Coronet
1 - 10 of 10 Posts