Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2016 392 w/13K miles in Denver ~5200 ft, lived in Wyoming ~6500 ft for a few months, moved to Albuquerque ~5500 ft, and now live in San Antonio ~600 ft w/23K. I have noticed the idle is rough, but once up to RPM its fine...do I need to get it adjusted? Thanks for advice....

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
734 Posts
There is no adjustments for idle that can be performed, unless you use an aftermarket handheld tuning device. Anyway, the PCM will adjust to the changes in altitude without any outside help, provided that the engine is in good condition.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,313 Posts
What Charles said.

Check the engine air filter. While I have not lived in Albuquerque I've been through there a number of times -- and always stopped at Rudy's BBQ just off of I-40 for ribs, corn on the cob and a root beer -- and while passing through or west of town have encountered some pretty dusty conditions.

Denver I don't recall ever encountering any dust. Nor any dust in Wyoming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no adjustments for idle that can be performed, unless you use an aftermarket handheld tuning device. Anyway, the PCM will adjust to the changes in altitude without any outside help, provided that the engine is in good condition.
Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
294 Posts
What Charles said.

Check the engine air filter. While I have not lived in Albuquerque I've been through there a number of times -- and always stopped at Rudy's BBQ just off of I-40 for ribs, corn on the cob and a root beer -- and while passing through or west of town have encountered some pretty dusty conditions.

Denver I don't recall ever encountering any dust. Nor any dust in Wyoming.
Rudy’s is awesome! Hope they are still around.

No idle adjustments to be done. Car should figure it out. How big is the difference in idle?

·
Super Moderator
17,340 Posts
392s tend to have a "lumpy" idle during warm up with my experiences.

about the only service with your mileage is by 30k it would be air filter replacement (unless its dirty enough to warranty changing)

another thing is the re-check torque of intake manifold bolts - they're 7.5 ft.lb. and they can loosen up, its been known to happen. if there's any potential for vacuum leak

Reactions: DeWFPo

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,313 Posts
392s tend to have a "lumpy" idle during warm up with my experiences.

about the only service with your mileage is by 30k it would be air filter replacement (unless its dirty enough to warranty changing)

another thing is the re-check torque of intake manifold bolts - they're 7.5 ft.lb. and they can loosen up, its been known to happen. if there's any potential for vacuum leak
Can second that lumpy idle thing. My 2020 Scat Pack engine idle even warm is a bit rough. I swear I imagine I hear a cylinder miss a power stroke on occasion. No spit back. No backfires. But not sewing machine smooth that's for sure.

Owners manual calls for vehicles used in dusty conditions at least inspecting and changing if necessary the engine air filter at 12K miles.

As I think I mentioned at around 27K miles I had my Hellcat in for an oil/filter service and asked the engine air filter and cabin air filter be replaced. Both were filthy and clearly should have been changed at fewer miles.

After getting the new air filter the engine had a bit more pep better throttle response. That filter was that dirty. And I didn't drive the car in dust storms. But I lived in a pretty dry and sometimes "dusty" area, Livermore CA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.