Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's gotten to the point that I'm embarrassed to be at a light in the rain. If I try to take off even HALF as fast as the Prius or Honda next to me on wet roads, I just go sideways. This isn't about racing: it's about the ability to just drive the thing in the rain! To avoid wheelspin, I have to take off so slow that people are honking at me. And I'm not exaggerating! It's literally like driving in snow.

Anyone else have this problem? My tires are the originals and have 22,000 miles on them. Do you think the rubber is just too hard now after 4 years and wear? Also wondering if anyone can recommend better rubber as I'll have to get them replaced in the next 6 months anyway. I'd like some that have a better fair/bad weather balance.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Not the best placed to answer this because I just drive an R/T, but... I've often found myself placed at a disadvantage in the rain, with FWD cars tailgating me in the twisties or wanting me to take off faster. First off, there's usually a way even if, unlike them, you can't step on it without restraint... and secondly, I find that people leave you alone when you are in front of them sideways. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
15,730 Posts
If you have Goodyear Eagle F1s (since you're posting in the 6.1 forums, I'm assuming this - and they were OE on SRTs)

When the ambient temperature goes below 50*F, their traction degrades - these are intended as summer tires. Add wet conditions to winter temps and it may be worse.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
i am on a set of 10000 miles stock 3 season Good Year and been doing pretty good on the rain since I lowered the front to 30 at cold and 29 in the rear at 31F outdoor temperature

when reaching 35/40F my driving tire pressure rises at 32 front/30 to 31 rear which will still provide a fair amount of compliance and contact patch;

go easy in first gear as i also struggle with the torque as well; but if you don't get into high rpm pass the 2.5k 3k line shifting in second gear does not get dramatic

i did an entire HPDE event under heavy rain on a road course track and tire pressure being too high was my main enemy;

we found that no sport mode on the rain, along with low cold tire pressure around 29/30 using the 4th gear instead of reaching high rpms in 3rd was best and where the 4200 beast fared well..... while we were getting our asses kicked by Golf GTI and Jetta on racing rain tires

just my experience and lesson learned that work for me; hope this helps

finally did a fair amount of autocross, and the challenger on stock tires is better off without the sport mode so it seems on a stock SRT, compliance helps the car steer better overall rather than having a stiff suspension (sport mode)

ODP

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've had tires from Goodyear, Hankook, Toyo and another I can't remember and for driving in the rain Vrdestein Ultracs were the best. They also had great dry traction and longevity. 275/40/20s work well on our cars.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think 22,000 miles on F1's is a lot of milage and if it truely as bad as uyou say gret new tires now.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
321 Posts
High miles on your tires = tire wear
Tire wear = less traction
less traction + Driver +/- in (wet conditions) = A

A = As rain falls, it mixes with grime and oil on the road creating slick conditions perfect for skids. The best way to avoid skidding is to slow down. Driving at a slower pace allows more of the tires tread to make contact with the road, which leads to better traction. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Is your traction control turned off?

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Is your traction control turned off?
indeed another factor why people get stuck in the snow; TURN IT OFF! lol:icon_aetsch:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Put things in perspective....

Just because improvements in tech....make our cars safer....does not mean we can no longer drive in bad weather. I lived in a state that snowed 6 mos per year. Back in the day we drove cars that did not have "posi-traction." That means that only 1 wheel got power. We drove on thin bias ply tires. When we got a chance....we put chains on the car. There was NO TRACTION CONTROL. The last few weeks I have been driving in snow...NO PROBLEM.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mikeychallenger thats a easy one to answer. You need new tires, the OEM goodyear tires are the worst tires ever! You need new tires ASAP! Yokohama Prada tires are pretty good all season tires and there are plenty good performance tires that are good in the wet and dry.

·
Registered
968 Posts
What is this rain you speak of.... what kills my F1 traction is the damn cold weather. Ya know... anything below 65* lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm replacing my factory goodyears as we speak. Going to try a set of bfg's. I'll let you know how they do in the weather. I had the all season goodyears and they weren't to bad in the rain until it got below 4/32 in tread.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
The Goodyear F1s are probably worn out at that mileage. At 22k miles I replaced them with the Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires and couldn't be happier! They are awesome.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. The original Goodyears still have enough tread but I think at their age, the rubber has hardened and made things worse in the rain. Rarely gets below 65 here so cold weather is not a concern. Nor is snow. So with that in mind, all I need is a good tire that has a good dry/wet traction balance. I'm really looking for a good relatively cost effective tire that is good on dry surfaces but doesn't fall on it's face on wet roads. But I definitely don't need/want one that can handle snow because this car will never see snow. So if anyone drives in similar conditions (mostly dry, some wet, but no snow) and found a good performing tire at a reasonable cost, please post your opinions and thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm marking them all down as options.

I'll likely get a new set in June as that starts the rainy season here. Rain is scarce until then so I can wear these down a little more before I bite the bullet. :)

Mike

·
Registered
588 Posts
Definitely your tires.

I've got 3500 miles on my stock Firestone GTs and rain and light snow are not an issue as long as Im not on the throttle. Normal take offs are no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Mike, for what its worth, the Hancook Venus V12 tires seem to be popular summer tires for these cars. They are very affordable and do work in the rain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
261 Posts
BFG Comp2

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are that heavy on the throttle try taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear....I'm still on my F-1's 09 srt with a little over 13k...

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
F1's are horrible even new....I lost traction with them at 70 in the rain on the turnpike. 400 soft miles on them then.

Hankooks were great when new but got slippery with age, burnouts and runs at the track.

I just put BFG Comp2's on 245/45/20 fronts and 275/40/20 on the rears... so far so good.

The fact that the SRT's have lots of power on tap makes it easy to spin in any wet / cold conditions

1 - 20 of 25 Posts