Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Stars & Stripes Scatpack
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come for my 2019 Dodge Challenger scat pack first emissions inspection. I took it in a few weeks ago and was told that they could not get enough information from the computer system to drive it for about 7 days and bring it back. I've now driven it for 11 days straight took it back and again it failed.

Mva says "to many obd monitors are not ready."

I then took it to the dealership and they performed the scan on it no error codes except a few low voltage codes. Which came from installing aftermarket halos and testing them causing the battery to drain.
There were also a few related to the stock amp which was expected due to using the amp pro and all aftermarket stereo amps and speakers.
They cleared everything and told me to drive it about a week then try emmission again. I don't have a tune no engine mods. Only mid muffler delete and Mopar cai. anyone else encounter this before? The car is usually daily driven except on my days off work it may sit for a day.
Font Paper Paper product Document Parallel

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,349 Posts
Which monitor(s) is(are) not completing? Usually you need to drive a bit on the highway to get O2 monitor to complete. I can post up the specific drive cycles and conditions needed but have to find them. Codes that will cause you to fail are generally Pxxx and not Cxxx or Bxxx codes which have more to do with body/chassis configuration.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their printout did dad tell me exactly which monitors did not complete only that multiple OBD monitors aren't completing. Most driving I do is City driving but I did take it on the highway a few times this past week. Even though it's a daily driver it's usually not driven very far I work fairly close to home the car only has a little over 5,000 miles on it at the moment. I appreciate you looking for the drive cycles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to put somewhere between 40 & 80 miles on it, then have it inspected again.
If you disconnect the battery in that time you will have to start all over again.
Thanks for the info guess it's time to fill her up and go on some nice long drives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is the drive cycle I did, and it worked for me. I think I did this two times though.

Drive vehicle, preferably on flat highway, at steady speed.
Before drive cycle verify the following - fuel level should be between 15% and 85%. engine temp greater than 158°F, and engine run time greater than 92 seconds.
Drive vehicle and maintain speed around 70 mph, keep engine speed between 1200-3000 RPMs, and keep MAP between 7.5 - 15 Hg.
No hard acceleration or stopping.
Drive at least 5 miles under these conditions and upstream O2 monitors should run.
Next drive at 70 mph constant for at least 5 minutes. Lift foot from accelerator pedal and decelerate to 55 mph without hitting the brake.
Repeat this for at least two times. Next, bring vehicle to a stop and let vehicle idle for one minute. This should now pass downstream O2.
Lastly, turn vehicle off and remove key. The posting of the monitor is done at power done. Wait two minutes, turn the key back on.
You should now be ready. To verify readiness without a tool plugged in, turn key to the run position and observe MIL.
The MIL will bulb check solid, go off then blink after 15-20 seconds if the vehicle is not ready. If the ready the MIL will stay on solid forever.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,402 Posts
The catalyst monitor can be stubborn to get to complete. Be sure to find a stretch of interstate or backroads hiway that allows at least 50 mph for long stretches and has few or no stops on it. Hit that road and set cruise at 55 mph, and don’t go below 50 mph at any point for at least 10 min. (If you have to slow down or stop for some reason, start over - speed > 50mph for 10 min)

Do not do anything to interrupt the car’s electrical system until after the passed inspection. Unhooking the battery, loading a new engine tune, driving through a EMP storm, any one of those things will reset every emissions monitor in the PCM and make you have to start all over again to pass an inspection.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Premium Member
11,402 Posts
I never thought in the missions inspection will be this much of a pita
I can remember when an emissions inspection requires them jamming a sniffer up the tailpipe to test the emissions output. Now that was a pain, and expensive too!

This business with the PCM running and completing monitors of its own is the solution to the problem of a (more expensive and time consuming) tailpipe sniffer being needed in an emissions inspection.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I remember the old tailpipe hose as well lol. Where I live finding a good stretch of road even on the highway to keep at 70 will be difficult.

·
Premium Member
11,402 Posts
Yeah I remember the old tailpipe hose as well lol. Where I live finding a good stretch of road even on the highway to keep at 70 will be difficult.
Just has to be >= 50 mph for 10 contiguous minutes.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
2,581 Posts
I was about to post ^what was posted above. I had one in Virginia that would not clear a couple of monitors even after driving for a couple days. Googled and found a list of instructions that I followed as close as possible and right afterwards all the remaining monitors cleared. One important point was gas needed to be between 1/4 and 3/4 not full or below 1/4. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a monitor reset issue with my 06 Honda Civic. The fix as Nuke indicated was to drive the car at exactly 55 mph without hitting the brake for 10 consecutive minutes. I used cruise control to hold the speed at exactly 55 mph. I was lucky enough in LA traffic to be able to complete this drive cycle before having to brake, just after the 10 minutes of elapsed time. This method should work on other vehicles.

·
Registered
609 Posts
NY is exempt for 2 years, then it is a yearly test.
They got rid of the tailpipe sniffer, now they just plug a scanner into your OBD2 port for a minute.
The safety inspection is done at the same time (you still have to get the safety inspection for the first 2 years).

Safety inspection is $10, emissions + safety is $37, diesel is more.
The state gets $2 for the sticker, the shop gets the rest.

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
In CA, the state also charges a $20.00 so called Smog Abatement Fee added to your annual registration renewal, until the car is 8 years old and you have to go in for a smog check.
A FEE is a TAX by a different name!

Don’t tell but my car 5 years overdue for inspection. It’s just between us.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts