Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,833 Posts
Stop-start *shudder* :eek:

A Guy

·
Registered
403 Posts
The primary advantage of the electric drive train is the torque characteristic of the electric motor. Full load torque at 0 rpm performance is hard to overcome with an IC engine.

BUT, we all know the deficiencies of batteries. There still has to be some serious materials breakthroughs to manufacture a battery that charges as fast as a gas tank, and lasts as long. Then you have (what no one talks about) circuit life of the power section. Tesla is replacing inverter sections at 60K miles. There are plenty of old Prius' running way more on their IC engine than the electrics. There are capacitors in there that will only charge and recharge so many times-which they do every time you accelerate/decelerate. The real fun will start to be exposed when all those cheap ass plugs they use start to wear and Joe Consumer starts to be introduced to the frolic of arc flash incidents. Electric burns are a real blast.

The proponents of full electrics usually don't have clue of the infrastructure required to support a fully electric fleet. A gallon of gasoline has a tremendous amount of energy in it that is difficult to match with alternatives. The same materials advances for batteries can be also applied to increase IC engine efficiencies, where more HP and torque can be derived from smaller displacements.

I'll lay the bet that better hybrids like the Pacifica will be way more dominant than full electrics. I believe the demise of the IC engine is greatly exaggerated by the Unicorn crowd.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
The primary advantage of the electric drive train is the torque characteristic of the electric motor. Full load torque at 0 rpm performance is hard to overcome with an IC engine.

BUT, we all know the deficiencies of batteries. There still has to be some serious materials breakthroughs to manufacture a battery that charges as fast as a gas tank, and lasts as long. Then you have (what no one talks about) circuit life of the power section. Tesla is replacing inverter sections at 60K miles. There are plenty of old Prius' running way more on their IC engine than the electrics. There are capacitors in there that will only charge and recharge so many times-which they do every time you accelerate/decelerate. The real fun will start to be exposed when all those cheap ass plugs they use start to wear and Joe Consumer starts to be introduced to the frolic of arc flash incidents. Electric burns are a real blast.

The proponents of full electrics usually don't have clue of the infrastructure required to support a fully electric fleet. A gallon of gasoline has a tremendous amount of energy in it that is difficult to match with alternatives. The same materials advances for batteries can be also applied to increase IC engine efficiencies, where more HP and torque can be derived from smaller displacements.

I'll lay the bet that better hybrids like the Pacifica will be way more dominant than full electrics. I believe the demise of the IC engine is greatly exaggerated by the Unicorn crowd.
I think this too. We'll see more hybrids unless battery technology improves a lot.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
I think this too. We'll see more hybrids unless battery technology improves a lot.
Companies hungry to patent the next big thing in battery performance have poured millions, and combined world wide, billions into research and development with batteries. We're getting incrementally better, but I'm not predicting any monumental game changing discoveries during my lifetime. That said, people feel more comfortable with hybrids than they do full electrics, and have for a long time. This won't change any time soon either.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It will be more than 14%. When I drove the Tesla , I knew right there, as much as i didn't want to admit it, that the combustion engine is about to be killed.

This is the new sound of fast.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,833 Posts
Likely a fuel cell, hydrogen, or the next thing coming will be what we're driving, not electric. Look how far electric cars have come. Like anything, once support and resources are poured into it, it expands exponentially. The more they make, the cheaper they become. The more resources poured into development, they more the capacities increase. If the major manufacturers invest in hydrogen, and don't just stick on electric, all the better. A Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts